What's your SHTF rifle and/or pistol?

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

ROFuher
Silent But Deadly

Post by ROFuher »

Wouldn't we love to haul the entire safe with us, but my HK 91 and brace SS 1911 are heavy. There is something to be said for a 12g and a 22lr. They are light and every farmhouse and any outdoors man will have boxes and bricks somewhere on the premises.
After that, if it is really SHFT in the city, pick what you can feed. AR, Beretta and Glock mags may be available for the scavenging at any intersection the police or national guard have not fared well. If third world gunfights are any lesson, the new breed of street urchins will be collecting them like candy at a parade.

Before any one gets wound up, I did say scavenge. I am not proposing ambushing the police and guard to get their toys.
continuity-TROOPER, 2016
LACamper

Post by LACamper »

The amonia bottle is a good idea. I usually went for a can of EZ Off oven cleaner when I travel and can't carry though.

My choice is a bit different... I have an AR but it would stay only until I had to go it on foot.
I'll take my Springfield Loaded and my Enfield #5. Its accurate, compact, light, RELIABLE (since we're talking long term here), and is powerful enough to bring down any game in the US within 100 yards. Accuracy could be better but its accurate enough within 100 yards. Since I usually hunt in LA and MS (read heavy brush) that's not an issue. The Springfield is good for 2 legged vermin in close quarters.

I'd be tempted to bring the 870 but I'd probably opt for my buckmark. I really need get a can for that!
Koro
Silent Operator

Post by Koro »

Rifle: Noveske N4
Shotgun: 870 Police Mag
Pistols: Glock 17 & Glock 26
Knife: Strider BT SS

:D
Dave3220
Silent Operator

Abilities & Needs Change according to age and your AO...

Post by Dave3220 »

Interesting topic...Things have changed a bit since my previous post.
Due to being hit by a car while crossing a bushy street in the city it has become real uncomfortable to carry on my hip, so I have gone to center-chest.
I am a beat-up, gimpy rural 60 yr-old who cannot walk far nor carry heavy guns like the N-frame S&W's, 1911's, .357's, and heavy rifles I used to carry.

Still have a 5"DE knife just to the left of my pistol in kydex sheath aligned on my suspender strap.
Pistols I rely on are: 2" 640 S&W, M-12 S&W .38Spl.s, Taurus alloy frame 8 shot .22WMR.
Rifles are: 10-22 .22LR or .22WMR bolt rifle w/ SRT can, or CZ527 bolt rifle in 7.62x39mm.

SHotguns are 28 ga. single barrle & 16ga. Paradox (partially rifled)
I would be very interested in a silenced shotgun....

Rimfire rifles and shotguns are mainly for critters, but sicne we are in a very rural area and I don't foresee hordes of N.Koreans & Red CHinese, MY "emergencies" will be one or two "tweakers" or a raiding, feral dogs, blackbear or cougar (or possibly wolf now that the greenies have won THAT round :-(

I have one of the first G17's allowed to be sold in the U.S. and it will be re-built since it has trigger mech. broken and kept wiht a G18 33 rd. mag in it as a one-handed "assault carbine" in a vehicle or the home, or holstered in one of my sidecar outfits.

THe Paradox shotgun is very promising, shooting impr.cyl. bird/buckshot patterns, as well as a one ounce ball to 75+ yds. as well as I can hold offhand anymore.

Lightweight, light recoil, quietness, versatility are prime consideration for ME these days since I am feelign old and am not very mobile or strong anymore, as well as having vision dimming.
(Lasers are a pretty good solution to dimming eyesight, by the way :-)

As long as I can get around a little bit, snares and Connibear traps will produce more meat on a regualr basis than firearms, but I like to be prepared for the odd chance shot at anything I'de like to put on the table.
Due to slowing reflexes and dimming vision, I am not the "rifle snob" I used to be, and can see the utility of a shotgun throwing not over 1 ounce of birdshot
Any advantage to having a repeater is offset by the weight and clumsiness.
A fine double is wonderful, but I'de rahter have less expensive "tools" that do the job fine, are easy to carry, and don't cost so much that I want to slash my wrists if they get a dent or scratch or bit of rust.
A suppressed single barrel would be a joy to carry and use....

It takes so long to find what works well for you that you will "outlive" many of the things you used to enjoy doing and do well when you were younger...
My plans would have been better if I had STARTED with what I figured I would be able to handle at 60+ when I was younger.
I might have another 20 years, andmsot of the firearms and martial arts I have been fairly competant at/with when I was young are of little use NOW.
Plan on things/methods you can apply and still do relativley well even if sick or old.

Dave3220
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Re: Abilities & Needs Change according to age and your A

Post by Artful »

Dave3220 wrote:Interesting topic...Things have changed a bit since my previous post.
Due to being hit by a car while crossing a bushy street in the city it has become real uncomfortable to carry on my hip, so I have gone to center-chest.
I am a beat-up, gimpy rural 60 yr-old who cannot walk far nor carry heavy guns like the N-frame S&W's, 1911's, .357's, and heavy rifles I used to carry. ...

A fine double shotgun is wonderful, but I'de rather have less expensive "tools" that do the job fine, are easy to carry, and don't cost so much that I want to slash my wrists if they get a dent or scratch or bit of rust.
A suppressed single barrel would be a joy to carry and use....

It takes so long to find what works well for you that you will "outlive" many of the things you used to enjoy doing and do well when you were younger...
My plans would have been better if I had STARTED with what I figured I would be able to handle at 60+ when I was younger.
I might have another 20 years, and most of the firearms and martial arts I have been fairly competant at/with when I was young are of little use NOW.

Plan on things/methods you can apply and still do relativley well even if sick or old.

Dave3220
Darn Dave sorry to hear about your injuries - thank goodness you survived - and thank you for bringing insite into thread.

I notice I don't shoot my .375 Mag much anymore - don't even use my 300 mag much - still shooting '06, 308, 303 but have 223 to go too. I'll look at some of the other toys in the steel toy box and see what I might be carrying in 10 years when I retire.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
CDAT
Silent But Deadly

Post by CDAT »

Thought just for fun would put what is mine right now (in Iraq). My M4 with M203 GL, and if it gets bad can pull out the M249 SAW or .50 Barrett.
mizzu
Silent But Deadly

shtf inventory

Post by mizzu »

I live on the top of a mountain with only one way up. I would want to know if anyone was coming up the drive or for that matter up through the woods in the shtf sit. So I will have some 12ga Bolo loaded into tripwire activated "alarm" units. I think I might mount them horizontal as not to bother the neighbors or overflying aircraft with excess noise. As far as home defense:

8 Ak's with 20 - 30 rounders loaded, another 15000 rounds in strippers
12 AR's in 5.56 same ammo sit as above
4 Natl match on AR platforms 7.62 - stack of clips and 2k of Match Ammo
458 Win Mag - Not much ammo, but you don't need much
AR-50 500 rounds Ball, 500 Rounds API
Enough 10/22's & ammo to let the kids have a ball
Plenty of womenfolk to do the loading
Plenty of menfolk to man the rifles
also plenty of other "party favors" for uninvited guest
enough diesel, Nat. Gas, Generators, water & food for appx. a year

Only problem, if it is Govt. troops, they will quickly escalate you out of business no matter what you have. That is the reason for a good series of fortified escape routes that will strongly discourage anyone trying to pursue you.

Kinda getting anxious, I am tired of sitting on all this crap...... :twisted: :twisted:
TypeR632
Silent But Deadly

Post by TypeR632 »

I'm going to Mizzu's house, not too far of a drive. Will call first, as not to get my ass blown to pieces. Got the .408 Chey Tac in to make those precision shots.
Doink67
Silent But Deadly

Post by Doink67 »

TypeR632 wrote:I'm going to Mizzu's house, not too far of a drive. Will call first, as not to get my ass blown to pieces. Got the .408 Chey Tac in to make those precision shots.
I'm going to move to mizzu's house
[quote="Blaubart"]I'd love to screw with a boss like yours Steve.[/quote]
Stu
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stu »

I'm curious about you guys that keep rifles in the trunk. Do you own houses and park in the garage? I live in an appartment and wouldn't want my car getting stolen with my gun in the trunk; and there is no way I'd be able to (nor want to) haul it in and out of the trunk every morning and night without someone calling the cops on me.
mizzu
Silent But Deadly

Hilltop shtf celebration

Post by mizzu »

Come on up. Bring old whiskey, young women and duct tape. (don't ask)
tangodown911
Silent Operator

Post by tangodown911 »

Rifle: 5R with NF 5.5x22x50 NP-R1 glass
Carbine: LMT MRP with Eotech m4-2k08
Pistol: G21SF with EVO-45/KKM setup

and of course whatever else I can carry.
mroily
Silent Operator

Post by mroily »

Id grab my ar10 suppresed my g19 with evo9 & I would alread have my 10/22 with my AAC piolt I take it just about everywhere work you name it sometimes when I get board at work I go out back & shoot . Freinds of mine from State Police & local come by and shoot it also

& can't forget my Sam Yang 45 pcp Air rifle :o , It shoots a 140 gr. roundball 900 fps. ammo is cheap & its not that loud
TypeR632
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hilltop shtf celebration

Post by TypeR632 »

mizzu wrote:Come on up. Bring old whiskey, young women and duct tape. (don't ask)
Have plenty of Crown Special Reserve, and duct tape. Not smooth enough to get the young women, wife probably wouldn't like it either. We are planning a shoot very soon, waiting on trigger for the .408. Need to bring the .50 and some incendiary, got a couple of things to blow up. :twisted:
gewehrmonkey

Post by gewehrmonkey »

Rifle: 16" M4gery Bushmaster. Topped w/ Aimpoint Comp ML2 and sporting an SAS suppressor.
Handgun: Glock 17.
Special duty: Ruger MK II with TAC65

Bug in, bug out, whatevah.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

RMTactical wrote:AR-15, Glock
Seems to be one of the most definitive answers here.

I have only three guns right now, a 9mm rifle, a 9mm pistol, and a .17 rifle. By default, I'd take the 9mm rifle and pistol. Could be beneficial too, since the silencer could pull double duty.

As a wish, though, my ideal set up would be the 9mm GLOCK 17 with Evo-9, and either an AR, or a shotgun.

That said, when - not 'if', but when - the Kel-Tec RFB .308 bullpup comes into my custody, then it will be my long gun of choice for both close and distant shooting with a 9mm pistol and silencer on my side.

If I could carry only one gun in a SHTF scenario, then I kind of think that a .44 lever-action could be that gun. Works close, works semi-far. Recoil is managable, barrel-length is not an undo hinderance, action is fast enough that it isn't combat ineffective. Works on deer, hog, and people.

If you were relegated to ONE gun - what would it be and why?
I read that it's douche to list your guns here, so I stopped that.
Doink67
Silent But Deadly

Post by Doink67 »

mossberg 500, you can get other guns with it, and you can bag game, too
[quote="Blaubart"]I'd love to screw with a boss like yours Steve.[/quote]
CDAT
Silent But Deadly

Post by CDAT »

[/quote]If you were relegated to ONE gun - what would it be and why?[/quote]
I would have to say my SOCOM II, enough power for almost anything I need, but still short enough that can move quick with it
tangodown911
Silent Operator

Post by tangodown911 »

CDAT wrote:
If you were relegated to ONE gun - what would it be and why?[/quote]
I would have to say my SOCOM II, enough power for almost anything I need, but still short enough that can move quick with it[/quote]

excellent point.
Cruzzer

Post by Cruzzer »

One gun?

My Remington 870 Police Magnum. The stock was shortened to 10 inches so with an 18 inch barrel it is about 30 inches in overall length and is very handy. It will shoot any kind of 12 gauge round I can scrounge up. It has an MMC Universal Serrated Ramp Front Sight and an MMC Shotgun Ghost Ring Rear Sight and with Brenneke or Federal Tactical slugs I can "clover leaf" at 100 yards. An extended magazine holds 7 rounds, a permanently attached side saddle on the receiver holds 6, and 5 more are on the stock, for a total of 18 rounds on the gun! It also has a Surefire Light Forearm for target identification in low light, great for zombie control.

:twisted: I might think twice about "butt stroking" someone with my "Mattel Toy", but I'd never hesitate with my 870. :twisted:

"I like my pistol and rifle, but I love my shotgun."
Bill Jeans - Morrigan Consulting, formerly with Gunsite Training Center
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

Shudder at the thought of only one gun.

But two guns...

Noveske 12.5" N4 with SwitchBlock (this will be my next gun, if Noveske ever makes a 12.5" + SB). AAC M4-2000, EoTech with 3x on flipper, Surefire M600C on left rail, Harris bipod with LaRue QD mount, DBAL on top rail.

Glock 20 with surefire X400. The greatest handgun ever made, period. Shitload of ammo, since 10mm might be hard to find.
Stu
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stu »

TROOPER wrote: If I could carry only one gun in a SHTF scenario, then I kind of think that a .44 lever-action could be that gun. Works close, works semi-far. Recoil is managable, barrel-length is not an undo hinderance, action is fast enough that it isn't combat ineffective. Works on deer, hog, and people.
I've seen a few people mention these guns so I've been looking into them. Is there a large difference between this and say a lever action .308? It seems like the rifle round would have more power behind it.

If they made a lever action .50 cal (Not BMG) would everyone be buying one left and right?
CDAT
Silent But Deadly

Post by CDAT »

Stu wrote:
TROOPER wrote: If I could carry only one gun in a SHTF scenario, then I kind of think that a .44 lever-action could be that gun. Works close, works semi-far. Recoil is managable, barrel-length is not an undo hinderance, action is fast enough that it isn't combat ineffective. Works on deer, hog, and people.
I've seen a few people mention these guns so I've been looking into them. Is there a large difference between this and say a lever action .308? It seems like the rifle round would have more power behind it.

If they made a lever action .50 cal (Not BMG) would everyone be buying one left and right?
I would not buy a lever action .50, but am thinking that my next gun will be a large bore AR.
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

91/30 Mosin Nagant...WITH the cruciform bayonet. Gotta be able to skewer your meat and roast it over the campfire. A lifetime supply, about 10 rounds, of heavy ball ammo circa 1930, preferably corrosive. Shoot anymore than that and you'll need a chiropracter. Once the ammos' gone: "Fix bayonets!" Oh, and Vodka, needs LOTS of cheap vodka for those cold, lonely nights. :twisted:
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
ottosear
Silent But Deadly

Post by ottosear »

SHTF... G26 with factory mag and 2 33rd Glock mags for later. Maybe a Berretta 21 3lug with a Checkmate. You want things you can hide. If you have a longarm you become a potential target. My .02 :(
THIS is MY safety!