What's your SHTF rifle and/or pistol?

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

bluedragonsblood

Re: What's your SHTF rifle and/or pistol?

Post by bluedragonsblood »

SHTF I would grab all my fire arms. CQB would be a 8 in 300 whisper M-4 with eotech and a can with 250 rounds , Back up would be my 1911 double stack with 50 round. For distince a M110 Sniper rifle, and 700 supressed with sub sonic rounds for 300 meter dead quite kill. A few seconds on the grinding wheel and turn all my m-4's into full auto (if the american goverment is totaly collapsed). I know that it is an odd ball caliber, that is why I am reloading 5,000 round per weapon for my SHFT stock pile.

I love the M-4 weapon platform. I own 5 of them one for each of my family. Only problem is that I dont like the 5.56 green tip M855 ammo. It has very poor stoping power when trying to shoot through glass, car windows, and such. Me and a buddy unloaded 400 rounds in to a car that came flying up on our check point in Iraq. The car stopped not from our bullets but because the guy saw us lighting his car up. He jumps out with not even a scratch on him. None of our 400 rounds went through the windshild. The new army ammo that we use in Afganistan is armor pearcing. But good luck trying to buy any back in the states.
snapshot
Senior Silent Operator

Post by snapshot »

AWC Amphibian (S) w/ Gerber MKII

tactics, tactics, tactics :twisted:
"And remember, the most dangerous thing in the world is still ignorance." - RYP
Lou2380

Post by Lou2380 »

My glock 19 since I don't leave home without it. And my Sig 556R side folder because it fits nicely in my overnight bag with work. But then again you'll always run into problems with justifying carrying a large caliber rifle and the bulk weight of your ammo and bob. But if I had to go it. That will be mine.
Fox_Hound

Post by Fox_Hound »

Sbr kriss vector with aac tirant 45.
Glock 21 with osprey 45 .
As my bug out firearms .
If I was bugged in , a ar that I took from my fallen soldier with the fun action.
UP2013

Post by UP2013 »

Glock 21SF, 11.5" M16 with eotech light n laser, Uzi smg or M11 with can. Have the sealed cans of 9mm n 223 ready, as well as plenty other JIC ammo. If had room n time to take more - Mossberg mariner, PTR91 or FAL, 92AF with can, AK folder, and PSL rifle.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

AK47, and Glock 22 for defense. Suppressed Ruger 10/22 or 300WSM for hunting depending on game.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

We're a pretty sorry species. In a SHTF scenario, our number one target is our fellow countrymen, as is our number one fear and threat.

An asteroid wipe out mankind? No, we would do that to each other as soon as the asteroid hit.
5th_Amendment

Post by 5th_Amendment »

Here's a thought: I'm encumbered with wife and kids too. However, in a SHTF situation, the last thing you may want is to leave home and sit in traffic on a highway. Everyone knows if SHTF, come to my house with your gear. Between armed friends and my arming half the neighborhood ... should be fine. Learning point here: you need sufficient firepower to arm yourself and friendly neighbors.
Exercising my right to remain silent.

New Hampshire: "Live free, or die."
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

5th_Amendment wrote:Here's a thought: I'm encumbered with wife and kids too. However, in a SHTF situation, the last thing you may want is to leave home and sit in traffic on a highway. Everyone knows if SHTF, come to my house with your gear. Between armed friends and my arming half the neighborhood ... should be fine. Learning point here: you need sufficient firepower to arm yourself and friendly neighbors.
It really depends upon which SHTF scenario you envision.

The Violent BLM Race War that the WH and DoJ are promoting? A zombie-apocalypse? A super Flu like Stephen King's "Capt Trips?"

If the Gov't is coming to disarm you "rebels", then hunkering down on the Homestead might not be the best choice. You need a hidden Retreat Position. And cached supplies/weapons in case your Home is Occupied in violation of Amend 3. You may be Quartering UN Troops under the "Strong Cities Network."
5th_Amendment

Post by 5th_Amendment »

You are correct. SHTF encompasses a whole range of different problems. Hurricane? Bug out with everything. Zombies? Well, I'm part redneck and love twinkies so bring it! Invasion of UN troops? Well, they better stay away when hunting season kicks off. Deadly virus? I do have chem gear, but I'm not quite prepared to hole up for a month while the virus runs its course. I guess the best you can do is be prepared, stockpile where it makes sense and select your weaponry as appropriate. I hope civilization continues though. I hate MREs!
Exercising my right to remain silent.

New Hampshire: "Live free, or die."
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

5th_Amendment wrote:I hope civilization continues though. I hate MREs!
I grew up watching 'The Day After' and 'Red Dawn.' I'd hole up in hidden bunker for 60 days and hope 10-35% of the "Walkers" faced a "natural conclusion."

You'll get used to "Long Pig" if the situation dictates. :P :lol:
cmoore
Silent But Deadly

Post by cmoore »

bluedragonsblood wrote:SHTF I would grab all my fire arms. CQB would be a 8 in 300 whisper M-4 with eotech and a can with 250 rounds , Back up would be my 1911 double stack with 50 round. For distince a M110 Sniper rifle, and 700 supressed with sub sonic rounds for 300 meter dead quite kill. A few seconds on the grinding wheel and turn all my m-4's into full auto (if the american goverment is totaly collapsed). I know that it is an odd ball caliber, that is why I am reloading 5,000 round per weapon for my SHFT stock pile.

I love the M-4 weapon platform. I own 5 of them one for each of my family. Only problem is that I dont like the 5.56 green tip M855 ammo. It has very poor stoping power when trying to shoot through glass, car windows, and such. Me and a buddy unloaded 400 rounds in to a car that came flying up on our check point in Iraq. The car stopped not from our bullets but because the guy saw us lighting his car up. He jumps out with not even a scratch on him. None of our 400 rounds went through the windshild. The new army ammo that we use in Afganistan is armor pearcing. But good luck trying to buy any back in the states.
Nothing wrong with 62gr. 5.56 green tip when used as "anti-personnel" (it's intended purpose) rather than "armor piercing", which it's not designed for, or windshields, or....

Keep it. It's fine. If not, send it my way.
cmoore...

out...

"You get more with a kind word and a gun, than a kind word alone".-- Al Capone

"By the way, it's inches that I'm giving you..."- Roman
DKDravis
Silent But Deadly

Post by DKDravis »

The thread "question" was straight forward: What GUN would you bring in a SHTF situation -- Not really with any clear definition of WHAT "SHTF-situation" was meant. So: We're free to first define the SHTF-situation we're considering --

The way I see it, there are the "Apocalyptic SHTF" situations:

Ranked in order of impact:

1. Some terrorist organisation manages to Disrupt the Oil-supply for 2 weeks near the sources (Means taking out 4-7 major shipping out ports and 4- 7 of the major refineries.) That WILL cause a total collapse of civil order in the whole of the industrialized world. You have all kinds of secondary and tertiary effects of that- (EVERYTHING runs on Oil-products --- This is called "Last Light Scenario" - Think about it .. Your Fuel is shipped to you by vehicles that run on ?? Any Police or military unit that need to move in force runs on ?? Pipelines are kept working by vehicles that run on ?? You can't even run a Nuclear power station or a bank of wind-generators for very long without vehicles -- that run on ??)

2. "Malicious run-away hacker attack on the power grid" --- Try to imagine any highly industrialized country without ANY electricity for a few weeks!
(Virtually same effect as above .. Last Light Scenario--- Fuel is pumped by electricity -- Generators are run on fuel -- )

3. Massive Solar flare .. Same as above .. No electricity, all computerbased systems fried, a lot of people sick or dying, animals as well--

In these cases what you will be facing is widespread civil unrest, hoarding of food and subsequent looting of food and goods, followed by "Anarchy" for a long period as all the government "peacekeeping forces" runs out of fuel ... and they WILL run out. Estimates at this time is 1 - 3 months ..
Governments will focus on restoring the oil-supply /powersupply, and ALL efforts will be on using whatever fuel is left for that specific purpose.

In such cases your best bet is to retreat to a place "out in the sticks" that does not rely on oil-Fuels! Or heavily fortify your home- and be able to defend it against heavily armed groups of marauders, while having a supply of food and alternative energy sources.
I'm preparing for both .. My house has solar and wind power, and can be "closed up" fireproof and resistant to normal firearms- For heating I can run on wood-
Of which I have enough for 1 year stacked up and drying .. And I have a "retreat" that consists of an old air-raid shelter in a remote area, with a trailer-home sat close it .. That place I'm currently outfitting and repairing. Even if the "Apocalyptic SHTF" never happens, it will be a nice vacation spot .. It will have beds for my small family, both above and below ground.. And the position of the "below ground portion" is known only to us. I found it by sheer accident as a kid.. It will probably be on some long forgotten map from the 40'ies with legends written in German :mrgreen:

If any of the above scenarios should happen, I will try to bring all my guns, even the antiques .. They will work with homemade black Powder if need be ,,

If I had to really limit myself to what I could carry, my Steyr Scout and my 1911 - 9mm would be the choice .. and my side-by-side 12g --

In a true "Apocalypse" - a situation where I knew that civilisation was unlikely to return in 100'dreds of years, and I had to travel light, I would bring my 45LC Blackhawk and 45-70 Marlin + the 12g -- They can "run" on homemade powder.. and are simple and can be repaired
(I have a hidden cache, with some ammo, spare gun-parts, medicine and a simple set of reloading gear)

Much more likely SHTF situations might be "minor/local SHTF" -- Like riots or terrorist attacks that disrupt "civility" for a shorter period. Depending on the severity of the threats to me and the people I feel responsible for, I would probably "close down the house" and "retreat" - Bringing all my guns, and valuables if possible.
I live in a country where all legally owned firearms are severely restricted and registered, so I could end up in a situation where my guns would be confiscated, or at least the authorities would try to confiscate them. Depending on the SHTF-scenario, that might prove impossible.

I have no real "legal" way of avoiding such a scenario. So I might very well end up with NO guns .. In which case there are other options, that ARE legal and not subject registration .. My Compound hunting bow + lots of different types of arrows.. My fishing spears .. my knives and axes ..

and: The solely most important of all: My knowledge, Skills, Motivation and experience .. and good health -- There are no laws controlling how much, and what I can know or learn.. And not really any legal or Moral ways of removing these things from my brain --

If those in power cross that Moral line ... well --- then the SHTF ...
DKDravis

"Sapere Aude": Dare to KNOW!
"Do not adjust your mind, there's a fault in reality!"
"When Wrong becomes Right, Resistance becomes our duty!"
Postal code 8541
garredondojr
Silent But Deadly

Post by garredondojr »

my current setup is a glock 17 thats been chopped to a glock 19 length with the backstrap flush with the mag like a 26, has tfo sights. IWB for cc and OWB with a tlr-1s any other time.

my mini RECCE for a rifle it's a 14.5" Larue stealth with MI 12.5" m-lok rail, my own pinned griffin style taper mount compensator, larue MBT trigger, STR stock and MOE grip, MBUS, ST-T2 buffer, ASAP, BAD lever, tlr-1HL, Leupold MK4 1.5-5

once my F1's clear it will share a 1.5x7" 30 cal can with my .308

When my SBR lower clears I plan to build a 12" stealth upper and if money allows it a TA44sg-10 ACOG with a otb mount for my suppressor to keep it as short as possible. will put a 10" rail on that build
jwise
Silent Operator

Post by jwise »

When I responded to this thread eight years ago, my situation was much different. I now live at my bug out location, so my efforts are now focused on getting home in such an event.

So my GET HOME firearms are different than what I would choose to go out with if standing in front of my steel toy box. These can't be NFA guns/suppressors, as I wouldn't leave those in my truck overnight.

It would be disengenuous of me to make this up, so I will tell you what I actually have with me if out and about on a normal workday.

Concealed handgun of the day (either a 5" custom Colt 1911 or a pocket 9mm auto).

Glock 30

AR-15 in 5.56 topped with an Vortex PST 1-4x.
J. Wise