Doomsday Bunkers ARRG!

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Nypto

Doomsday Bunkers ARRG!

Post by Nypto »

Ya know, I think cellers and such are great but tempory only to get out of danger and out of the elements but!
I watch Doomsday Preppers and the one thing that bothers me the most is their absolute stupidity.

For instance the contractor who is building condo bunkers for a cool million and a half is just leaving his ass out in the wind.
lets say the world went to poop and he and his rich friends are well entrenched in their high value celler, with the best security and food preps. They can last a couple of years until that one person comes around and yells to them, in their two way monitor that he wants food, medicine, guns and ammo.."Right now! of course
They will say "Go to hell" but what can the bad guy do cuz they are safely tucked away in their bunker and cannot be reached.
Ah, but can they? The biggest problem in these bunkers is their air supply. Yell down one air vent.." send up your food, ammo,medicine and guns and maybe I won't dump gasoline down your vent pipe and ignite it.
Retreat to an underground shelter to save your lives but not permanently..It might be your gravesite.
I think planning for this scenario is worthy of a second thought when building an underground bunker. How to protect you air supply.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Re: Doomsday Bunkers ARRG!

Post by Wahnsinn »

My thought would be to run the air pipe however many feet/yards away from the actual bunker and camouflage it somehow. Fake tree with the pipe inside, run the pipe up the side of a real tree, etc. Dunno about the real world feasibility of something like that, but hey, if they've got the money I'm sure it could be figured out pretty easily.

I think the idea though is to put the bunker somewhere that people don't know about and wouldn't necessarily go around looking for.
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

If I ever get around to building a shelter, I'd conceal the air intake and air exhaust under big piles of rocks.

That should not only mask the pipes, but also any thermal signature from the exhaust.
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

In my wanderings I would probably stumble across your big pile of rocks, start using them to build an outhouse, find the pipe and think "How convenient, no need to dig a hole.".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

My grandfather was in the 77th Infantry during WWII. He fought the Japanese who were fond of tunnels, bunkers and otherwise digging their own graves. He seldom speaks of the war, even now. He has mentioned a few stories that revolve around the time and effort spent doing exactly what you are talking about. Use artillery to close the visible entrances, then start looking for a few telltale signs that lead you to the vents. Then it's done. A lot of leg work getting guys in a big bunker complex, but a fairly consistent if costly endeavor.

If you can get most of the big holes shut and create enough grief to keep the defenders down deep, it's pretty short work to end the battle. (This I learned the details of from reading about battles he was in, not something he told me). Once the tunnel complex is starting to get shut up, you pump a tank of flame thrower fuel in. Basically dump the contents without the "pilot light". Follow that with a white phosphorus grenade and all the air is consumed. If there is a big opening somewhere on the other side of the mountain it may suck enough air to keep some of them alive. It didn't always work the first shot. In general, once they had beat the hell out of a mountain or even whole small islands that had been dug into massive 'bunkers' the likes of which the jackoff on the show could only dream of, the battle would end with countless Japs suffocating a glorious death for their Emperor.

I watched an episode of that show. It was too gay to go for a second episode. The one I saw was the one where they made a booby trapped bunker. It was just silly.

What do you figure would prompt some fool to have his bunker put on the show? Nothing like making sure that everybody knows what you have. No better way to make sure your secure bunker gets over run right away.

I can see the wisdom of making a shelter and keeping some stuff. That makes sense. Like a pannic room in a house or a storm cellar. Someplace to duck and cover. Fine. Burrying yourself like one of the tens of thousands of Japanese WWII dead and telling everybody where to find you, your food and your wife and daughter. Not so good.
Nypto

Post by Nypto »

When I saw this episode, I thought, I could just build my camp right there next to their bunker door. heck, they will keep me supplied with groceries and weapons for a very long time.
But what amazes me most of all is that these people seem to enjoy telling everyone where their bunker is, and what they are storing up???
The absolute worst Doomsday preppers is the lady who is growing herbs and veggies and thinks the world is full of wonderful helpful people who will share and they can all live in peace and crime and violence will just pass them by. They say they have no guns..OH MY HOW AWFUL!. Great news to those who do have them. Easy pickins.
On one site an LDS woman said she was storing up food in a large truck to hand out to the poor when TSHTF. I asked what will she do when she runs out of food? "People will understand and go on to other places"??Are you kidding me? These Uhh...people wil kill her and ransack the truck for just a can of beans. I don't understand the thought process here but on the other hand I doubt they understand mine.
Banshee

Post by Banshee »

Nypto wrote: I think planning for this scenario is worthy of a second thought when building an underground bunker. How to protect you air supply.
check out their website. They say the air intakes are hidden on their bunkers.

http://www.deepearthbunker.com/survival-pods.html
Never do a wrong thing to make a friend or to keep one.
Robert E. Lee