Hiking Gun?

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Neogumby

Hiking Gun?

Post by Neogumby »

Do you carry a handgun when hiking? If so what model/caliber? Where do you go hiking, and what are certain "threats" you have to be cautious about in your neck of the woods?

I would go hiking a good deal in Florida, and I always carried my 45 on me for gators (which were present in spades). Curious to see what other people are doing in other locales.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hiking Gun?

Post by rogerme »

I always have a sidearm. If I am going in the woods I carry a Ruger 44 as well as a ar. We got bears moose among other critters but those are the two that I would be most concerned about. Hiking is anything past my curtilage..
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

I carry several different handguns - for general messing around 45 ACP 1911 - either single stack or double stack with aluminum frame and commander slide works well for smaller 4 legged and all 2 legged predator's. If I'm small game hunting 22LR Ruger Mk2 with suppressor works well. Social walks in the park 9mm does well.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

John Ross / performance center Smith Wesson 500 . You never know when you will run into a yeti.
CanNotHear
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanNotHear »

Glock 20SF, 230 gr WFNGC, also in Florida.
Brittsc
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Brittsc »

My buddy that hikes a good bit carries the scandium 357 mag by S&W. Pricey but light.

Britt
finn
Silent But Deadly

Post by finn »

.22 pistol for snakes. Hiking 2-5 strong, the bigger animals aren't nearly as big a concern.
AkGun&ammo
Senior Silent Operator

Post by AkGun&ammo »

A lot depends on time of year, and what State I happen to be in.

March thru November here in AK- normally a 45 Colt lately been a Smith Mountain Gun, but usually a Ruger Blackhawk. (300 gr load)
If going to areas with greater chance of furry encounter- a 460
November in Texas- a Glock 20SF w/ 180 gr loads or if in Town a Smith Airweight in 38 SPC
Kansas- Well- got to play the concealed carry real careful- so Smith Airweight in 38 SPC with a lockable storeage container available in vehicle.
In July on a drop off salmon stream- a 300 WSM in camp, a short 12 ga, and a 460!!!
In Anchorage- a good concealable in minimum caliber to do whatever needs doing.
In Fairbanks- depends once again on areas.... some are more dangerous than others :(

Chris
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

When I carry hiking it's the same as anywhere else I may carry. 9mm pocket gun (pf9) or Glock 17 depending on clothing. I'm considering switching to a wheel gun for a few reasons. If I do it will probably be a 38. The only threats likely around here are two legged or dogs.
jurist
Silent But Deadly

Post by jurist »

Integrally suppressed Ruger Mk 3 most of the time as its especially quiet and handy for small game or an impromptu target practice session. Other times, CZ-75 SP-01 Shadow, or Glock 17. If I'm going camping and have a backpack I bring a broken down LWRC PSD with suppressor, but usually the rifle stays in the truck.
TSI Consulting
GLOCK Certified Armorer
FFL/SOT
shud1970

Post by shud1970 »

I carry a Glock 27 with Cor-Bon 135 gr HP. I have the +2 ext grip on my mags so they carry 11 and +1 in the G27 with a spare mag of 11. It's small and easy to carry and has the .40 cal power.
Buckleup

Post by Buckleup »

XD .45 for me. 2 Extra mags (30 rounds total). And a built up Ruger 10/22 (with 2 extra mags, and 100 extra rounds in a box). All of that is for more than a day hike. Day hike is only the XD. Most of the bears that I have seen over the years, just run off as soon as they see me.
BISHOP
Silent But Deadly

Post by BISHOP »

I bought the Glock 27 for JUST THAT purpose.
I consider it a "throw away" gun. I actually don't like Glocks but bought this one because I liked the tineyness of it. I have a Pearce +1 on the mags that match the gun PERFECTLY and makes it s oyou can actually hold the gun properly.
The finish is durable enough for sweat and rain, and the 40S&W cal is NOT A 9MM.
I used to take mine fly fishing and several times (while in the pocket of the waders) it was submerged for hours in the cold Maine waters.

BISHOP
The Rusty wire, that holds the cork, that keeps the anger in, gives way.....