AR Pistol Using Carbine Buffer Tube? What Do I Need to Do?

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Post Reply
User avatar
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1575
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:06 pm
Location: North Texas

AR Pistol Using Carbine Buffer Tube? What Do I Need to Do?

Post by Wahnsinn » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:12 pm

Preface - yes I know you can legally use a carbine buffer tube. What I'm more interested is if and how I must modify the tube so that in the eyes of whoever, I am not falling into constructive intent since I also have a stock that will fit on said buffer tube.

Details - I've got a lower, going to make it into a pistol (22lr at this point once some uppers come back in stock). I've got an extra 6pos stock w/ buffer tube and spring/buffer. Instead of buying a specific pistol buffer tube, what modifications do I need to make (if any) to the tube so that I don't fall into constructive intent? I don't plan on having the stock stored with the pistol, I don't plan on having the stock with me when I go shooting. I've seen where some guys have put JB Weld in the groove. Don't really want to do that in case I want to turn the pistol into a rifle at some point (with an appropriate length barrel of course).

How about this, can I drill a hole in the tube somewhere and install a screw in this hole? That would cause it to require a tool for stock installation. Then if/when I wanted to change to a rifle I would use a tool to remove the screw and then put the stock on (after installing the appropriate length barrel of course).

What exactly (if there is one) is the definition of a stock that could be "readily installed"? Here's my thought, if I have a pistol buffer tube, it would just unscrew from the lower, then you could screw on a regular buffer tube/stock with a tool. What's the difference in needing one tool over another?

Thoughts? Not trying to start s--t, just don't want to buy a pistol buffer tube if I don't have to, especially when they are pretty scarce right now.

Thanks!

ETA: I do plan on wrapping the buffer tube in para cord or slipping on some foam or something, if that makes any difference at all.

User avatar
Bendersquint
Industry Professional
Posts: 11359
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: AR Pistol Using Carbine Buffer Tube? What Do I Need to D

Post by Bendersquint » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:21 pm

Wahnsinn wrote:Preface - yes I know you can legally use a carbine buffer tube. What I'm more interested is if and how I must modify the tube so that in the eyes of whoever, I am not falling into constructive intent since I also have a stock that will fit on said buffer tube.

Details - I've got a lower, going to make it into a pistol (22lr at this point once some uppers come back in stock). I've got an extra 6pos stock w/ buffer tube and spring/buffer. Instead of buying a specific pistol buffer tube, what modifications do I need to make (if any) to the tube so that I don't fall into constructive intent? I don't plan on having the stock stored with the pistol, I don't plan on having the stock with me when I go shooting. I've seen where some guys have put JB Weld in the groove. Don't really want to do that in case I want to turn the pistol into a rifle at some point (with an appropriate length barrel of course).

How about this, can I drill a hole in the tube somewhere and install a screw in this hole? That would cause it to require a tool for stock installation. Then if/when I wanted to change to a rifle I would use a tool to remove the screw and then put the stock on (after installing the appropriate length barrel of course).

What exactly (if there is one) is the definition of a stock that could be "readily installed"? Here's my thought, if I have a pistol buffer tube, it would just unscrew from the lower, then you could screw on a regular buffer tube/stock with a tool. What's the difference in needing one tool over another?

Thoughts? Not trying to start s--t, just don't want to buy a pistol buffer tube if I don't have to, especially when they are pretty scarce right now.

Thanks!

ETA: I do plan on wrapping the buffer tube in para cord or slipping on some foam or something, if that makes any difference at all.
To modify it so that it wouldn't be incriminating you would need to remove the tab and rail under it to prevent a stock from being attached. Basically ending up with just a tube attached to the lower.

The "attach a screw method" wouldn't work unless you brazed it in place, it would have to be permanent(in a method ATF considers permanent)to prevent attaching the stock. Removing the rail and notches, brazing the stud in place are both permanent ways to ensure you can't attach the stock.

Thats the only way to get it done and keep your nose clean.

imyomama
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1157
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:51 pm
Location: N38° 53.8607', W077° 2.191'

Re: AR Pistol Using Carbine Buffer Tube? What Do I Need to D

Post by imyomama » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:42 pm

if you're making a 22lr anyways why use a tube at all .. just cap off the back and move on .. the bcg on 22lr takes the whole space of the BCG ..it cycles within that space no more !
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales

ScottNC
Silent Operator
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:04 am

Re: AR Pistol Using Carbine Buffer Tube? What Do I Need to D

Post by ScottNC » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:37 am


User avatar
bakerjw
Elite Member
Posts: 3611
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:13 am
Location: NE Tenn.

Re: AR Pistol Using Carbine Buffer Tube? What Do I Need to D

Post by bakerjw » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:24 pm

imyomama wrote:if you're making a 22lr anyways why use a tube at all .. just cap off the back and move on .. the bcg on 22lr takes the whole space of the BCG ..it cycles within that space no more !
This.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.

rockman96
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 997
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 5:49 am

Re: AR Pistol Using Carbine Buffer Tube? What Do I Need to D

Post by rockman96 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:32 am

Not this. Just get a pistol tube and put a foam sleeve on it... it will still give support, sort of like a stock.

ETA: And do a form 1 in the meantime and you can put a real stock on it in about 6-7 months. :)

hunter2
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:07 am

Re: AR Pistol Using Carbine Buffer Tube? What Do I Need to D

Post by hunter2 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:01 am

See your point. If it has ever been on a gun before is it considered a rifle tube? If all you had was a fixed stock tube and removed the rail - would this also work? I can find no concrete definition of a pistol tube length or shape anywhere.

User avatar
Bendersquint
Industry Professional
Posts: 11359
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: AR Pistol Using Carbine Buffer Tube? What Do I Need to D

Post by Bendersquint » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:21 am

hunter2 wrote:See your point. If it has ever been on a gun before is it considered a rifle tube? If all you had was a fixed stock tube and removed the rail - would this also work? I can find no concrete definition of a pistol tube length or shape anywhere.
Is it designed to accept a buttstock? Yes, Then it is a rifle stock. No, then it is not a rifle stock.

If you remove the rail that allows the carbine stock to attach then it is no longer designed to accept a buttstock.

You don't need a legal definition to be able to determine it.

godspyro
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:54 am

Re: AR Pistol Using Carbine Buffer Tube? What Do I Need to D

Post by godspyro » Fri May 31, 2013 1:55 am

it seems the ATF disagrees with your position. http://www.jcweaponry.com/images/ar15/BB.JPG

User avatar
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1575
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:06 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: AR Pistol Using Carbine Buffer Tube? What Do I Need to D

Post by Wahnsinn » Fri May 31, 2013 7:59 am

godspyro wrote:it seems the ATF disagrees with your position. http://www.jcweaponry.com/images/ar15/BB.JPG
That's an old doc, disregard it.

FYI, I've since traded one of my old stocks for a pistol tube, so not even an issue anymore :D

The rifle tube and stock now reside on another rifle that I built, so all is right in the world again :lol:

godspyro
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:54 am

Re: AR Pistol Using Carbine Buffer Tube? What Do I Need to D

Post by godspyro » Fri May 31, 2013 6:57 pm

With Sig's SB15 "longer is better" and makes hunting with the pistol AR an option.

User avatar
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1575
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:06 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: AR Pistol Using Carbine Buffer Tube? What Do I Need to D

Post by Wahnsinn » Fri May 31, 2013 10:29 pm

Wow, I hope they bought the rights to that and didn't completely rip off the dude that was making that. There was a guy that has that exact same thing he was prototyping on ARFCOM.

Post Reply