Muzzleloader silencer

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

jcadwell

Muzzleloader silencer

Post by jcadwell »

Is it possible to build a silencer for a muzzleloader without involving NFA, since the ATF doesn't consider muzzleloaders to be firearms?

I'm considering converting a 12 gauge muzzleloader into a rifle, and it would make a sweet silenced rifle.
PAR
Silent But Deadly

Re: Muzzleloader silencer

Post by PAR »

jcadwell wrote:Is it possible to build a silencer for a muzzleloader without involving NFA, since the ATF doesn't consider muzzleloaders to be firearms?

I'm considering converting a 12 gauge muzzleloader into a rifle, and it would make a sweet silenced rifle.
It doesn't matter if it's for a muzzleloader or a BB gun, it's still a silencer.
kalikraven
Elite Member

Post by kalikraven »

And the ATF considers silencers firearms on their own. Plus if you build one unregisterd for an airgun and they can make it work on a real gun then your in trouble.
Last edited by kalikraven on Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jcadwell

Post by jcadwell »

Thanks for the info. I figured as much, but I was hopeful.
JPratt06
Silent But Deadly

Post by JPratt06 »

Why would you want to suppress a muzzle loader? First off, you'd have to remove the suppressor between shots. That would get annoying. And then there's the problem with how dirty black powder is. Also, the caliber is so large, a can would have to be enormous in order to be effective.

Of course, it would make sense if you wanted to avoid the NFA because you were unable to qualify for NFA-ownership. In that case, an integral suppressor would be the only option, but it's legality has been questioned in the past (I've seen threads here and elsewhere about integrally suppressed airguns. The consensus is that it wouldn't be a good idea for a convicted felon to be playing around with the stuff---even if it were tecnically legal---since you would get screwed over by the system).
ΜΟΛΩÎ
jcadwell

Post by jcadwell »

I'm certainly not a convicted felon. I was just looking for something different without paying another 200$ tax for another silencer. I'm a machinist by trade, so making one isn't a challenge.

I have an extra 32 cal muzzleloader barrel that I can't hunt with where I live.

I was considering building the silencer integrally into the barrel, much like a ported barrel, so the gun could still be loaded. Not sure it would work, but it would solve the taking off the barrel issue.

At this point there isn't an incentive other than having something quieter and different, and that isn't enough to justify the cost.

Thanks for the info.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

May I suggest trying this with a blackpowder cartridge firearm?

I remember watching an old B&W episode of "Gunsmoke" years back in which someone had it in for old Doc and the perp used a BP rifle of the period with a silencer on it, everyone thought someone was trying to snipe him from a distance because they didn't hear the shot but saw the bullet impact from misses, they wound up catching the guy by placing a store dummies head with a wig on it sitting in Doc's chair in his office and the guy thought he was shooting Doc in the back of the head and someone saw a trace of gunsmoke coming from a window across the street.
It was a very interesting episode and I watch all the old repeats but I have never seen that episode since then, tis a pity.

So I guess you could try putting a threaded can on a Springfield .45-70, you would have to wash it out with hot soapy water and maybe throw it in an oven to dry but I don't see why it wouldn't work?
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
Hootiewho
Super Dunce

Post by Hootiewho »

You'd have to be real careful with a blackpowder silencer. Power getting spilt into the can while loading or powder build up might make can the suppressor go boom.
3 weelin geezer
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3 weelin geezer »

I think it would be useless even if it worked because of all the smoke it makes assuming you are using actual black powder and not some substitute which to me, defeats the purpose of using a black powder gun (as opposed to the term muzzle loader)
togeneral99

Post by togeneral99 »

Well, looks like this idea was flamed pretty good a few years back, but now SilencerCo has announced the new Maxim 50.

So... does this mean we can build a suppressed muzzleloader without a form 1!!!????
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

It would seem so, as long as it was permanently attached to the rifle.

In the videos the suppressor reduces the amount of visible smoke significantly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895