Silent But Deadly

Re: Missouri, machine guns, and SBR's

Post by 66427vette »

yes! What part of the state are you in?
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

I'm not... thinking of a visit, wanted to double-check before I turned in any travel forms. Thanks!

Btw, you don't happen to be in the southern MO region do you?
bkoski
Silent Operator

Post by bkoski »

Just a heads up if you plan on using a public range on any of the Missouri Conservation Area lands. I can't get the local Conservation Department to issue me a special use permit in order to shoot a machine gun on the Public Ranges here in northwestern Missouri. State Law requires a special use permit to use a machine gun on the ranges on conservation department land. When I inquired as to how a person would apply for the special use permit, the Conservation department stated machine guns are not conservation related, and therefore will not issue me the special use permit (they make exceptions for law enforcement use, but not responsible citizens). I'd suggest using private land, or an established range/club that allows full auto use.

SBRs and Suppressors should be good to go, I haven't had any issue using mine on the local ranges up here, yet... As you can tell I'm not too impressed with the local conservation agents.

-BK
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Full auto at conservation ranges will get you big tickets. I paid for all the new signs at one of local ranges with my ticket.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

66427vette wrote:Full auto at conservation ranges will get you big tickets. I paid for all the new signs at one of local ranges with my ticket.
How much was the ticket? If you don't mind.....
bkoski
Silent Operator

Post by bkoski »

A buddy and I got a [$200] fine for shooting tannerite on a MO conservation range. The first agent to confront us said they didn't allow firearms with multiple projectiles to be fired on the range (this made no sense, as I was shooting a bolt action .308). The second agent that showed up said it is state law we can only shoot at paper targets (which I later found to be true, but is NOT posted at the range on the sign that says RANGE RULES). No, I don't generally look up state statues every time I leave my house. Had this rule been posted, it would have been followed, simple as that. The third agent that spoke to us, after pulling me over on an interstate on-ramp (I thought it was a police officer pulling me over), wrote citation for $200 (after the first and second agents told me I was free to leave, and wouldn't be cited). To make matters more interesting, the first agent stated that he watched me and my friend shooting at tannerite for an HOUR AND A HALF (mind you we were doing it responsibly and not destroying any property, and when other people showed up we stopped). They also took pictures of my vehicle/plates and firearms with their personal cell phones. To this day I believe this was 100% profit driven. If they didn't want us shooting the stuff, fine, COME TELL ME, don't watch for an hour and a half in a vain attempt to slap more violations on us. During the encounter I was also told that the ranges were for pistols and .22 rifles only, and at a later encounter with another agent, that the range was for people living in that specific county only. I'm not impressed with these guys to say the least, even though we were clearly in the wrong (after analyzing MO state statues for a couple of hours), it could and should have been handled better.

If I remember correctly it was $25 for the fine, and $75 court fees, anyway, it turned into $200 total, since both my friend and I got tickets, even though the agent writing the tickets didn't witness a thing.

I now remember too they tried to slap an additional fine on us for paying our citations late... when the department itself hadn't had the tickets input into their computer before the due date on the citation, so every time we called to pay, we were told to call back later (this went on until about a month after our due date, when we both received notices in the mail that our fines were overdue). Bunch of clowns.

Nice ranges and facilities though, so at least the money is going to a good cause. :lol:
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

400 bucks for 6 3 round bursts from a suppressed m16 . I ended up getting a lawyer and had it reduced to picking wildflowers. I did not want any kind of firearms ticket. They will also pile all your guns up in a pile like fire wood while they look at them. Then tell you they are illegal and they are going to take them at this point you break out the phone and call your lawyer and the NFA office.
Last edited by 66427vette on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

Lol, you guys are making me have second thoughts now... I *will* be on private land, and it is a private (family only) shoot, but you never know about getting pulled over or whatever. The local law *has* been called on my BIL once or twice in the past by distant neighbors. It's not in city limits, but sort of right at the line, and the LE there are pretty gung-ho. We will be shooting suppressed this time around, but if those neighbors do hear FA fire (how far does does sonic crack travel?), I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle... you know, being far away from home and all. I'll be visiting regardless, and I just thought it would be fun to let the family experience it. I may not even have to worry about it if the forms don't come back in time.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rockman96 wrote:Lol, you guys are making me have second thoughts now... I *will* be on private land, and it is a private (family only) shoot, but you never know about getting pulled over or whatever. The local law *has* been called on my BIL once or twice in the past by distant neighbors. It's not in city limits, but sort of right at the line, and the LE there are pretty gung-ho. We will be shooting suppressed this time around, but if those neighbors do hear FA fire (how far does does sonic crack travel?), I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle... you know, being far away from home and all. I'll be visiting regardless, and I just thought it would be fun to let the family experience it. I may not even have to worry about it if the forms don't come back in time.
Looks like a recipe for confrontation.

Sonic crack can be heard a few miles away. They may not realize what it is without the associate boom but it still could bring down the law if they are antsy and associate it.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Got that ticket on my birthday . Good times!