Traveling with NFA stuff question.

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Traveling with NFA stuff question.

Post by cyclone72 »

okely dokely,In Oct Im traveling from Tallahasee Fl to MD and am wondering about the laws of traveling through states that are unfreindly to NFA items.I should be ok with my firearms as long as they are stored properly.

Do I need to contact he local LE and let them know Ill be in possession of NFA items;silencers.

Should I contact a SOT dealer in MD and ask him some questions.

TIA
PAR
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAR »

Travel restrictions don't apply to silencers so I wouldn't raise the hair on anyone's neck by telling I'm going to be in their state. Why would you -- after all you're just passing through the state and not setting up shop.
Last edited by PAR on Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrPhotoGuyInc
Silent But Deadly

Post by MrPhotoGuyInc »

My understanding is that if you enter a state that does not allow N.F.A weapons, and you just happen to have a lead foot while traveling and you are pulled over. :shock:

You will be facing an unlawful possession of restricted weapons.
I could be wrong tho..

not an expert :)
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder !

***Warning***
PG-13 Now

www.MrPhotoGuy.com
PAR
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAR »

MrPhotoGuyInc wrote:My understanding is that if you enter a state that does not allow N.F.A weapons, and you just happen to have a lead foot while traveling and you are pulled over. :shock:

I could be wrong tho..

But you are allowed to pass through, you just have to show proof that even a one night stay is just a means of completing the trip.
MrPhotoGuyInc
Silent But Deadly

Post by MrPhotoGuyInc »

California... you going to JAIL :shock:

***Warning***
PG-13 Now

www.MrPhotoGuy.com
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

PAR wrote:Travel restrictions don't apply to silencers so I wouldn't raise the hair on anyone's neck by telling I'm going to be in their state. Why would you -- after all you're just passing through the state and not setting up shop.
I just read that on the back of the form 5320 so Ill be "silent" about it amd thank god I dont have too submit 6 5320' s for the 9 silencers I have.

Thanks
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

MrPhotoGuyInc wrote:My understanding is that if you enter a state that does not allow N.F.A weapons, and you just happen to have a lead foot while traveling and you are pulled over. :shock:

I could be wrong tho..

it's a straight shot from FL to MD and all states I enter are NFA allowable.

Thanks fellas.
MrPhotoGuyInc
Silent But Deadly

Post by MrPhotoGuyInc »

Just take you time don't speed you will be ok :D

***Warning***
PG-13 Now

www.MrPhotoGuy.com
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

Hmm, this brings up a good point. I live in North Dakota and I have family members who live in Wisconsin. Minnesota does not allow civilian ownership of suppressors. (The nice local range is 400 yards into Minnesota. :cry: )

The way I understand it, as long as your guns and NFA items are legal both at your point of departure and destination, you are legally protected under the 1986 GOPA (Yes the one that gave us the MG ban. :roll: ) because the movement of guns and NFA items between states falls under the interstate commerce clause, meaning federal law then takes precedence over state law.

However, I am unsure how far the protection goes. Can I stop for gas? Can I stop and have a meal at a restaurant? Can I stop and spend the night in a motel? This I do not know and it would be nice if I could find the answers to these questions.
tikkafan
Silent Operator

Post by tikkafan »

Crosshair wrote: However, I am unsure how far the protection goes. Can I stop for gas? Can I stop and have a meal at a restaurant? Can I stop and spend the night in a motel? This I do not know and it would be nice if I could find the answers to these questions.
You're supposed to be covered on all the normal things you would do traveling through a state. Food, gas, lodging etc...

Here's a guide from the NRA http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59
Suspicion Breeds Confidence
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

Seems to me ya'll find too much stuff to worry about.
UNLESS you are going to be doing something that otherwise calls attention to yourself, keep your NFA items in the trunk locked in a case...doesn't have to be fancy, a WalMart briefcase will work.
Keep a copy of your Form 4 for each item......

Drive on dude....drive on
Mr. Burns: This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
Smithers: You are noble and poetic in defeat, sir.
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

Thanx guys.