Government shutdown affects on NFA processing??

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Does anyone know how (or if) next weeks shutdown of the .gov will affect processing of NFA documents? I know that some government jobs and activities will go on without interruption but some will not. I was curious if anyone here knew what was up with the NFA processing.
tazaroo

Re: Government shutdown affects on NFA processing??

Post by tazaroo »

I would imagine that BATFE would concentrate on the law enforcement aspect of their job rather than approving NFA stuff.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Yup ... bet a shutdown screws things up pretty thoroughly!
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

NFA processing will be affected, to what extent we won't see until it happens.
karb

Post by karb »

They'll finally have an excuse to the delays.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

I called the NFA today to check status. Pushed back ANOTHER month. I'm looking at early November right now (pending approval Aug 6). Well I had a VERY nice lady on the phone so I asked about their status should the .gov shut down. They have not been told much. "there will be limited personnel at the NFA" When asked, she did not know if that meant a few would be processing or if it would be just enough folk to answer phones and inquiries.

Anyone waiting on stamps may have a long wait ahead. . .
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

L1A1Rocker wrote: Anyone waiting on stamps may have a long wait ahead. . .
F' it, everyone already has my money for the damned things. I'll just keep waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and.............
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

Gotta love small government.
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
karb

Post by karb »

Gee, I wonder if the proposal deadline will be postponed too.

NOT !
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Just look at Obama and Holder's priorities. Obama-care will be Superfunded, Secret Service, IRS, etc all get plenty of resources. DoD, VA, DoT, and ALL approvals for ATF, EPA, DoE, etc will be put on hold. Holder would refuse to grant ANY ATF approvals if he could get away with it. But Federal Law provides for redress of wrongful denials. So he has to allow it least a trickle of approvals, just as few officials as possible, and MAXIMUM Enforcement Agents. After all, guns don't get sent to Mexican Drug Lords without the help of Atn Gen Erick Holder!!! :twisted:
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
ariwhiteboy
Silent Operator

Post by ariwhiteboy »

Well, while sitting down in the dumps about my Form 4 sitting in limbo for another month due to this aforementioned nonsense, I got a phone call from my LGS.

"Your tax stamp came in Mr. White, you can come pick up your item whenever you'd like."

I made this face for 24 hours straight.
:mrgreen:

Turns out my paperwork (mailed on Jan 28th) was approved on Oct. 3rd. I'm not sure what this might mean for anyone who is still waiting, but I thought I'd share. I don't mean this to imply that somehow the NFA is still up and going, because from what I've read they aren't. I guess I just hit the damn NFA lottery that day and my form got pulled and signed.

Another thing I found interesting; Since I'm a GA resident, I was under the impression that Shannon Sievero would be my examiner. When the form came back it had been stamped/signed by Nickie Dudash. Not sure if the volume has everyone working out of a larger pool or if Shannon was just sick on the 3rd.

Either way, I've got my first can and I'm absolutely smitten. Haven't been around a .22 can in a long time and had no earthly idea just how far the tech has come. Shot a couple rounds out the back door with the wife in the next room watching TV at normal volume. She had no idea I'd even done it. :twisted:
It is a very sad man who requires his opinions to be validated by those around him.

SWR Spectre II (Pending)
arrowshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by arrowshot »

ariwhiteboy wrote:Well, while sitting down in the dumps about my Form 4 sitting in limbo for another month due to this aforementioned nonsense, I got a phone call from my LGS.
"Your tax stamp came in Mr. White, you can come pick up your item whenever you'd like."

Turns out my paperwork (mailed on Jan 28th) was approved on Oct. 3rd. I'm not sure what this might mean for anyone who is still waiting, but I thought I'd share. I don't mean this to imply that somehow the NFA is still up and going, because from what I've read they aren't. I guess I just hit the damn NFA lottery that day and my form got pulled and signed.
Another thing I found interesting; Since I'm a GA resident, I was under the impression that Shannon Sievero would be my examiner. When the form came back it had been stamped/signed by Nickie Dudash. Not sure if the volume has everyone working out of a larger pool or if Shannon was just sick on the 3rd.

Either way, I've got my first can and I'm absolutely smitten. Haven't been around a .22 can in a long time and had no earthly idea just how far the tech has come. Shot a couple rounds out the back door with the wife in the next room watching TV at normal volume. She had no idea I'd even done it. :twisted:
Glad for you and still waiting for one to come back. Filed about the same time if not earlier and I honestly can't think of anything as aggravating as these waits (unless you count 6-7 months deployments overseas and the countdown to getting back home). :roll: Nope, this is definitely worse.
“The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.” Thomas Jefferson
"Sic semper tyrannis"
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

ariwhiteboy wrote:Shot a couple rounds out the back door with the wife in the next room watching TV at normal volume. She had no idea I'd even done it. :twisted:

That right there is what cans are all about :lol: .... at least for us civilians.
Pman5KMO
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Pman5KMO »

ariwhiteboy wrote:Well, while sitting down in the dumps about my Form 4 sitting in limbo for another month due to this aforementioned nonsense, I got a phone call from my LGS.

Lucky bass hard... Lol

Got a form probably sitting on the examiners desk during this whole thing. My SOT had 2/3 stamps come back that were sent out on the same day and all went pending the same day...

Kinda wonder if NFA branch could be ordered back to work by a fed judge under the claim it is delaying exercise of 2nd amendment....
Suppressors cost less than hearing aids..
Pman5KMO
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Pman5KMO »

I wouldn't be surprised that when they do get back to work that the first several weeks will be dealing with the backlog of dealer and MFG form submissions and not much will be done for the most part until a week or two later on forms 1 and 4.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Pman5KMO wrote:I wouldn't be surprised that when they do get back to work that the first several weeks will be dealing with the backlog of dealer and MFG form submissions and not much will be done for the most part until a week or two later on forms 1 and 4.
You are probably right, I know we have a bunch of forms sitting on the fax right now since the e-forms is down.
Pman5KMO
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Pman5KMO »

Bendersquint wrote:
Pman5KMO wrote:I wouldn't be surprised that when they do get back to work that the first several weeks will be dealing with the backlog of dealer and MFG form submissions and not much will be done for the most part until a week or two later on forms 1 and 4.
You are probably right, I know we have a bunch of forms sitting on the fax right now since the e-forms is down.
And that's not even counting the delay on form 3s, heard it is running 6-8 weeks if you're lucky.

At least the NFA branch is not as backed up as the VA though, i know the 2.5 years waiting on them makes 9 months seem like expedited service... And I have heard at least one partial reason why the delays grew suddenly was due to fingerprinting, which has also been delayed by the shutdown so one can expect thenearly 3 weeks they will likely be out (if they get something passed this week) will probably have a 4-6 week ripple effect... Hello 1 year processing waits...
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Pman5KMO wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
And that's not even counting the delay on form 3s, heard it is running 6-8 weeks if you're lucky.

At least the NFA branch is not as backed up as the VA though, i know the 2.5 years waiting on them makes 9 months seem like expedited service... And I have heard at least one partial reason why the delays grew suddenly was due to fingerprinting, which has also been delayed by the shutdown so one can expect thenearly 3 weeks they will likely be out (if they get something passed this week) will probably have a 4-6 week ripple effect... Hello 1 year processing waits...
The biggest reason the delay increased was the sheer volume of applications being submitted is multiples over what they are used to.

They were already quoting 1 year approvals before the shutdown.
Pman5KMO
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Pman5KMO »

Didn't they also lose some examiners, and supposedly hired some new ones???
John K

Post by John K »

As of 10/15/13 NFA branch is shut down. I called on my SOT Registration today, tracking said it was delivered 10/11/13, the person who answered the phone said all NFA paperwork is on is on hold until after the furlough. She didn't sound pleased either...
Pman5KMO
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Pman5KMO »

John K wrote:As of 10/15/13 NFA branch is shut down. I called on my SOT Registration today, tracking said it was delivered 10/11/13, the person who answered the phone said all NFA paperwork is on is onwr until after the furlough. She didn't sound pleased either...
That's because they had to workwhile those who were furloughed got a taxpayer funded vacation.... Though supposedly those who did work will get comp time, it is rarely, if ever, given more than one day a week unless used with vacation time between comp days, granted that is general guidelines each dept and agency has their own.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Pman5KMO wrote: That's because they had to workwhile those who were furloughed got a taxpayer funded vacation.... Though supposedly those who did work will get comp time, it is rarely, if ever, given more than one day a week unless used with vacation time between comp days, granted that is general guidelines each dept and agency has their own.
You do realize that the furlough meant they weren't being paid right? They weren't on a taxpayers funded vacation.

I know a bunch of people that were affected by the furlough and they haven't been paid since it went down.
danb35
Silent Operator

Post by danb35 »

...except that the bill the President just signed does pay gov't employees for the furlough time. So, yes, it was a taxpayer-funded vacation. Pay has been delayed, but they will get it back.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

danb35 wrote:...except that the bill the President just signed does pay gov't employees for the furlough time. So, yes, it was a taxpayer-funded vacation. Pay has been delayed, but they will get it back.

Should have just kept everyone working, and delayed pay. Not nearly dramatic enough though.

Now get back to processing forms NFA branch!! :D
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Pman5KMO
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Pman5KMO »

Bendersquint wrote:
Pman5KMO wrote: That's because they had to workwhile those who were furloughed got a taxpayer funded vacation.... Though supposedly those who did work will get comp time, it is rarely, if ever, given more than one day a week unless used with vacation time between comp days, granted that is general guidelines each dept and agency has their own.
You do realize that the furlough meant they weren't being paid right? They weren't on a taxpayers funded vacation.

I know a bunch of people that were affected by the furlough and they haven't been paid since it went down.
Yes, as have many of my relatives, however my relatives were stuck working 60+ hours/week because they were 'essential', when normally they would work 40-45 a week... they had to make up for the lack of their entire dept being there. And in the end, the furloughed workers getting paid full pay+benefits (to include leave time accrued) is quite the insult. Now most of them have fridays or mondays off for the rest of the year, one has wednesdays off (talk about screwing with someone's routine), but it is still insult to injury to something that was utter BS to begin with. There is a huge morale and contempt issue created by paying furloughed workers amongst some dept's and agencies...