Suggestions for more appropriate term for "assault weapons."

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

What word would you think should be substituted for "Assault Weapon.:

Low Energy/Power Rifle.
7%
Close range rifle.
7%
Personal Defence Firearm. (Not to be confused w/ PDW.)
29%
Reduced charge firearm.
7%
2nd Ammendment Device.
7%
Other w posted term below.
43%

Total votes: 14

HK45
Silent Operator

Re: Suggestions for more appropriate term for "assault weapo

Post by HK45 »

Just call them Homeland Defense Rifles.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

HK45 wrote:Just call them Homeland Defense Rifles.
WINNER! :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Meh... you're running a fools errand. The term "assault weapon" has found it's way into the language genre. It is what it is. Like Kleenex, soda pop, hamburger, car, sorta way.

If I'm dispatched to a call relative a couple of kids with "rifles" in a field, proximate to a school, it's an ok, ground hog hunters type of call, and I'm quietly enroute to a check it out thing. If the dispatch is... a couple of kids proximate to a school with "assault weapon type stuff", that turnes into a lights and sirens response.
Last edited by continuity on Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

2nd Amendment Dispensary.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
yellowfin
Silent But Deadly

Post by yellowfin »

continuity wrote:Meh... you're running a fools errand. The term "assault weapon" has found it's way into the language genre. It is what it is. Like Kleenex, soda pop, hamburger, car, sorta way.
Words leave popular vocabulary just as easily and often as they enter. How often do you hear "gee willickers" or "knickerbockers" or "rodolex" or milkman" these days, just to name a few? Perjoritive vocabulary and negative attitudes towards firearms CAN be culturally erased. We just have to be willing to make it happen.
"You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's insane!"-- Penn Jilette
http://www.NYShooters.net
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

yellowfin wrote:
continuity wrote:Meh... you're running a fools errand. The term "assault weapon" has found it's way into the language genre. It is what it is. Like Kleenex, soda pop, hamburger, car, sorta way.
Words leave popular vocabulary just as easily and often as they enter. How often do you hear "gee willickers" or "knickerbockers" or "rodolex" or milkman" these days, just to name a few? Perjoritive vocabulary and negative attitudes towards firearms CAN be culturally erased. We just have to be willing to make it happen.
I still say the problem isn't with the term "assault weapon".

The problem is how the term is used.

We don't need a new term for assault weapon ... we need to stop calling semiautomatic firearms assault weapons.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

yellowfin wrote:Words leave popular vocabulary just as easily and often as they enter. How often do you hear "gee willickers" or "knickerbockers" or "rodolex" or milkman" these days, just to name a few? Perjoritive vocabulary and negative attitudes towards firearms CAN be culturally erased. We just have to be willing to make it happen.
Well gee willikers bro, I just checked out the roledex in the Sgt's office for the phone number for another juridiction.

Meh... got your point. And IMHO, it's a good one.

My point is that while descriptors to things that have fallen by the wayside (milk man, knickerboxers (really?)), the whole US world knows what an "assault rifle" looks like. The choir understands what it is, but there is no way that descriptor is gonna leave the present everyday vocabulary.

Culterally erased? Are you really serious?

ETA: It's not what the item is, but who is holding it at this point. Suggest we focus on bolt actions not falling into "snipers" category.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

continuity wrote:... Suggest we focus on bolt actions not falling into "snipers" category.
Too late ...

First the 50, next the 338, next ...

http://www.vpc.org/graphics/whyregulate50s.pdf

“,,, weapons that were designed for soldiers in war theaters don’t belong o̶n̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶e̶e̶t̶s̶ in the hands of ordinary citizens.” -- Barry

wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

I prefer evil black rifle or evil furniture. It drives home the point that they are too stupid to understand the difference between engineering and cosmetics.

Troll the trolls.
madbear
Senior Silent Operator

Post by madbear »

the term "assault weapon" is appropriate . the problem is not the term. it's the miss use of which is a very deliberate smoke & mirrors show by the puppet masters. it's all a game of deceit led by the master manipulator.
the problem is not what they call something. the name is meaningless unless it scares people into thinking the government will protect them.
as long as there are ignorant people who will vote for some dumb ass law maker like the one, that I believe is from NY, that sponsored a bill to outlaw "barrel shrouds", you know those scary "shoulder thingies" :shock: :lol: :lol:
I'm sorry but unless the people in this country grow a pair the wheels are coming off!
madbear

PS; sorry if I hijacked the thread but that's where it took me!
America is at that awkward stage; it's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Claire Wolfe
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

Can't we just call then "guns"? Really, they are just guns.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

This is my weapon, this is my gun...
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

jlwilliams wrote:Can't we just call then "guns"? Really, they are just guns.
In fact, a gun is defined as firing a projectile 6" diameter or larger.
Another historic distinction is that what is a gun aboard ship, is a cannon on land.
Neither are man-portable weapons.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Maybe: Women's Right, Pro-choice, LGBT Progressive Liberty, Tax Redistibution Diversity.
With all those Keywords,, the Obama Drones would be too confused to know which side to take.
Double Plus Ungood?
yellowfin
Silent But Deadly

Post by yellowfin »

continuity wrote:Culturally erased? Are you really serious?.
Completely serious. As above mentioned, there's stuff people don't say or do anymore. We should make it our goal that being anti gun is one of those attitudes that gets wiped off the map, just like the idea that Belgium and Holland should own parts of Africa or treating headaches by bleeding. It can be done.
"You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's insane!"-- Penn Jilette
http://www.NYShooters.net
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

yellowfin wrote: Completely serious. As above mentioned, there's stuff people don't say or do anymore. We should make it our goal that being anti gun is one of those attitudes that gets wiped off the map...
Absolutely like you. Fantastic attitude.
yellowfin wrote:...just like the idea that Belgium and Holland should own parts of Africa or treating headaches by bleeding...

Good examples of changes in "understandings". If it doesn't upset you, will add the change in the world is flat, understandings.
yellowfin wrote:It can be done.
Absolutely. Just like making my present significant other, address a box of tissues, as anything other than Kleenex.
Last edited by continuity on Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Leftists use Emotion rather than Reason.
I was at the doctor yesterday and heard a couple discussing personal gun ownership and carry. After describing being repeatedly robbed at gunpoint, the man said that whereever there is a gun, there is a shooting.
I couldn't bite me tongue any further. I asked, "Like having a Fire Dept guarentees that houses burn down?"
The woman who had just been saying that only cowards carry guns, then chimed in that she has a CCW and has worked as an Armed Guard. She said that she didn't carry because she depended on God to protect her.
I asked, "Like Noah refused to build an Ark after God told him to? He told God that if HE wanted Noah to live HE wouldn't let it rain? God helps those who help themselves. If God allows you to live in a Gun-friendly State (Texas) with laws allowing you to carry, then you refuse to, aren't you refusing to build an Ark?
"I've never felt safer than when sourounded by people who are armed. I KNOW that noone will try anything, and they will probably be more polite."
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

HK45 wrote:Just call them Homeland Defense Rifles.
If I could add Home Defense Carbine to the Poll I would. I declare this an admirable coin of Term.