Suggestions for more appropriate term for "assault weapons."

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

What word would you think should be substituted for "Assault Weapon.:

Low Energy/Power Rifle.
7%
Close range rifle.
7%
Personal Defence Firearm. (Not to be confused w/ PDW.)
29%
Reduced charge firearm.
7%
2nd Ammendment Device.
7%
Other w posted term below.
43%

Total votes: 14

whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Suggestions for more appropriate term for "assault weapons."

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Since we don't manufacture or import Sturmgewehr rifles in the USA, we should use a more appropriate term instead of using historically Nazi terms for what are in effect hunting and home defence tools.
I prefer to use Low Power Rifle, Defensive Rifle or Reduced charge firearm. Who can say that Low Power or Reduced charge firearms should be banned? And Defensive Rifle is far more accurate than Assault Rifle. I never think of storming an Enemy Fortification or leaving a trench to cross NO Man's Land when I purchase a Firearm. I either Target Shoot, Hunt, or use for personal defence in the event of being attacked. I would never use a firearm as a first technique to deal w a threat. I would try to reason and take cover/retreat. Only if it became necessary for preservation of Life or Property, or for Execution of Public Duty would I contemplate using a Firearm against a Human Being.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Re: Suggestions for more appropriate term for "assault weapo

Post by johndoe3 »

It's not on your list, but Guns and Ammo magazine/website/TV show and a few others have begun calling ARs (AR15 and AR10): Modern Sporting Rifles (MSR).
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

johndoe3 wrote:It's not on your list, but Guns and Ammo magazine/website/TV show and a few others have begun calling ARs (AR15 and AR10): Modern Sporting Rifles (MSR).
Cool. Thanks. :)
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

An assault weapon is not a "modern sporting rifle" or "MSR" please don't mix those two terms together.

What you are calling a "MSR" is not and has never been an assault weapon, it is a semiautomatic rifle.

I see no reason to invent new terms for assault weapons or semiautomatic weapons.

The only real problems are teaching people how to tell the difference and the fact that some people hate guns no matter what you call them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

whiterussian1974 wrote: I prefer to use Low Power Rifle, Defensive Rifle or Reduced charge firearm. Who can say that Low Power or Reduced charge firearms should be banned?
How can you say that what is called "assault rifles"(generally AR's and AK's) are either Low Power or Reduced Charge Firearms?

Kinda sounds like you are just trying to rename it so it sound benign.

Why would anyone want to use a low power or reduced charge firearm for defensive purposes?

While I agree that the term "Assault Rifle" needs to be retired from civilian mindsets the appropriate term is "Semiautomatic Firearm" that is what we need to get into their heads.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

I have to wonder about the sudden deluge of posts/polls by this user.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
Pman5KMO
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Pman5KMO »

johndoe3 wrote:It's not on your list, but Guns and Ammo magazine/website/TV show and a few others have begun calling ARs (AR15 and AR10): Modern Sporting Rifles (MSR).
Yeah MSR is what the industry has been calling them for a couple years.... First heard the term (which is the most accurate imo) back at the NRA show a few years back (when it was in St. Louis) once i left military service.
Suppressors cost less than hearing aids..
Pman5KMO
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Pman5KMO »

doubloon wrote:An assault weapon is not a "modern sporting rifle" or "MSR" please don't mix those two terms together.

What you are calling a "MSR" is not and has never been an assault weapon, it is a semiautomatic rifle.

I see no reason to invent new terms for assault weapons or semiautomatic weapons.

The only real problems are teaching people how to tell the difference and the fact that some people hate guns no matter what you call them.
The hate for so called 'assault rifles' is no different than what causes racial hate... Its all based on presumed fear over cosmetics...

The industry has coined the term MSR because many customers unknowingly referred to them as assault rifles which doesn't help the cause. It also helps to preserve the term assault rifle for its true definition (select fire capability being key). Its also oh so PC and gives it a clean marketing term.
Suppressors cost less than hearing aids..
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Pman5KMO wrote:
doubloon wrote:An assault weapon is not a "modern sporting rifle" or "MSR" please don't mix those two terms together.
The hate for so called 'assault rifles' is no different than what causes racial hate... Its all based on presumed fear over cosmetics...
Pman5KMO: I completely agree with this statement. It's amazing how those who are constantly shouting "racism" are the Jesse Jackson/Al Sharpton/Hillary Clinton "Race Pimps" who constantly view all interaction as inherantly racist, yet block every attempt to actually normal relations by recognizing that we are ALL members of the HUMAN Race.
I have been reading doubloon's rants against various posters for some time and wondering what his motives are. I finally get it. He's a Transgender Studies Prof at UC Berkley. ha-ha-ha :lol:
Was ist los mit deinem Kopf, doubloon? Wenn du kannst Deutsch gesprechen, warrum dass Sturmgewehr nicht MSR sein sagst?
Last edited by whiterussian1974 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Bendersquint wrote:
whiterussian1974 wrote: I prefer to use Low Power Rifle, Defensive Rifle or Reduced charge firearm. Who can say that Low Power or Reduced charge firearms should be banned?
How can you say that what is called "assault rifles"(generally AR's and AK's) are either Low Power or Reduced Charge Firearms?
Kinda sounds like you are just trying to rename it so it sound benign.
Why would anyone want to use a low power or reduced charge firearm for defensive purposes?
While I agree that the term "Assault Rifle" needs to be retired from civilian mindsets the appropriate term is "Semiautomatic Firearm" that is what we need to get into their heads.
Watch the History Channel. The Sturmgewehr 44 was designed for use w. the 7.92×33mm Kurz. The 7.92x33mm "Kurz" was referred to as the Pistolenpatrone M43 (pistol cartridge model 1943); which was made fromshortened 7.92x57mm.
The AK 47 was designed by Mikhail Kalashnikov from 1946–1948. It was officially accepted in 1949. (ref: Monetchikov 2005, p. 67; Bolotin 1995, p. 129.)
Both cartridges are termed Intermediate Cartridges. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermediate_cartridge
These filled the gap between Pistol and Full Power Rifle cartridges. Thus, "Low Power/Reduced Charge" Firearm.
Bendersquint wrote:Why would anyone want to use a low power or reduced charge firearm for defensive purposes?"
Major Nation States have adopted them for their reduced recoil and ability of soldiers to carry more rounds for any given weight.(Sec. Def. Robert Strange McNamara chose this to replace Full Power .308Win loadings in M-14 Battle Rifles.)
Additionally, Individuals may wish to use these for personal defense because they are acceptable cartridges for use at close range, and offer more hydrostatic shock than most pistol calibers while maintaining more managable recoil due to increased weight and length, and allowing use of a Shoulder Stock. (Sen Diane Feinstein and others have criminalized the use of shoulder stocks on pistols.)
Hope this helps explain the differences in terms. :)
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Pman5KMO wrote:...
By U.S. Army definition, a selective-fire rifle chambered for a cartridge of intermediate power. If applied to any semi-automatic firearm regardless of its cosmetic similarity to a true assault rifle, the term is incorrect.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Libertarian_Geek wrote:I have to wonder about the sudden deluge of posts/polls by this user.
Free advertising for a new business.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Yeah, we should be careful with the term “sporting”. BATFE uses that term to determine what can be imported and what you should be able to possess, based on “sporting purposes”. 2A says nothing about “sporting”.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Since Fixed Bayonettes have been used to storm/assault enemy positions for hundreds of years, perhaps we should use the term "Assault Knife" when referring to kitchen and butter knives. Maybe a $200 Cuttlery Stamp and engraved Serial# and Place of Mfr?
Automobile accidents account for 1000:1 rate of deaths per year compaired to Firearms. Maybe Toyota Prius and Honda Civic are "Assault Vehicles."
I wrote to Sen. Diane Feinstein and Harry Reed after the Boston Marathon Bombing and asked them to introduce Pressure Cooker National Registry databases and a 10 day waiting period. Unfortunately they have yet to Author a Bill in this regard.
I guess they only care about disarming the public, not stopping Mass Causualty Incidents. Obama even call the Pressure Cooker a Weapon of Mass Destruction.
Guess that means we need a new UN Weapons Proliferation Treaty!
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

doubloon wrote:
Pman5KMO wrote:...
By U.S. Army definition, a selective-fire rifle chambered for a cartridge of intermediate power. If applied to any semi-automatic firearm regardless of its cosmetic similarity to a true assault rifle, the term is incorrect.
My Merium Webster's Dictionary of US Army terms must have gotten lost in the mail.
US Army Manuals are dictated by Politicians and their cronies, not etymologists. But then you have proven yourself a great German Native Speaker and WW2 weapon development historian.
doubloon wrote:
whiterussian1974 wrote:
doubloon wrote:I don't know what you mean about sending PMs directly. The only way I know to send a PM is to use either the PM or the QUOTE button.
By PM me direct, I meant to use the PM button instead of Quote. THis way we speak one-on-one instead of polluting a thread by forcing others to sort through our personal discussion.
Cheers!
First I ever heard of you.
When I want to quote you in a thread I will quote you in a thread. When I want to PM you I will PM you. You'll just have to live with it.
Right now this line of conversation isn't useful to me.
Enjoy life.
People who read enough of your posts will realise what you are. I tried to help you, but you are just a sniveling "terrible two year old" with a full diaper.
Since you want everyone to read your temper tantrums in public forums, go ahead and take it. In Russian we have a saying, greedy eaters choke on their own vomit. Choke away, doubloon, choke away!
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

700PSS wrote:Yeah, we should be careful with the term “sporting”. BATFE uses that term to determine what can be imported and what you should be able to possess, based on “sporting purposes”. 2A says nothing about “sporting”.
wurd
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

whiterussian1974 wrote:...
People who read enough of your posts will realise what you are. I tried to help you, but you are just a sniveling "terrible two year old" with a full diaper.
Since you want everyone to read your temper tantrums in public forums, go ahead and take it. In Russian we have a saying, greedy eaters choke on their own vomit. Choke away, doubloon, choke away!
I'm sorry you got butt hurt because I won't respond to your PMs anymore but they really were pointless and a waste time. Thanks for at least quoting one of the more interesting conversations you started with me in PM.

And thanks for trying to help me but I think I already know how to use the PM button.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

doubloon wrote:
whiterussian1974 wrote:...
I'm sorry you got butt hurt because I won't respond to your PMs anymore but they really were pointless and a waste time. Thanks for at least quoting one of the more interesting conversations you started with me in PM.
And thanks for trying to help me but I think I already know how to use the PM button.
This is the only time that we spoke by PM. In your own post you state that you don't even know HOW to PM vs. Quote a Post in a Thread.
As for butt hurting, it's reflective of your Homoerotic fascination and fixation with members who don't "drop their drawers and bend over" for you.
I'm interested in the Political/Legal/Technical facets to NFA devices. Please keep your pedantic and homophilic dreams to yourself.
Remember, it's better to remain silent, than to speak and demonstrate your perversions and lack of knowledge.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

I count 4 PMs from you in my inbox, it started out with you rambling about some obscure post with a picture of you in a hat and ended up with you trying to give me lessons on how to use PM.

You say you are interested in the Political/Legal/Technical facets to NFA devices but you need to try harder. You are clearly having trouble understanding the legalities around building a suppressor as a "maker" vs a "manufacturer".

Many, myself included, have made the same mistake trying to navigate the verbiage around Form 1 builds but you seem to be resisting the truth with exceptional stubbornness. At this point it's hard to say if it's willful or an earnest inability to comprehend what -B- and whisper are trying to tell you.

One thing I can't figure out is if you're trying to drum up business for Spartan or trying to drive their reputation into the ground. Do you work for them or are you a disgruntled customer?
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

doubloon wrote:I count 4 PMs from you in my inbox, it started out with you rambling about some obscure post with a picture of you in a hat and ended up with you trying to give me lessons on how to use PM.
You say you are interested in the Political/Legal/Technical facets to NFA devices but you need to try harder. You are clearly having trouble understanding the legalities around building a suppressor as a "maker" vs a "manufacturer".
Many, myself included, have made the same mistake trying to navigate the verbiage around Form 1 builds but you seem to be resisting the truth with exceptional stubbornness. At this point it's hard to say if it's willful or an earnest inability to comprehend what -B- and whisper are trying to tell you.
One thing I can't figure out is if you're trying to drum up business for Spartan or trying to drive their reputation into the ground. Do you work for them or are you a disgruntled customer?
It began with you posting that I had a nice hat and I had no idea to what you were referring. So I asked in PM instead of boring members with a personal discussion. You however prefer to wear dirty laundry in public. OK, your choice.
The 4 PMs were all the same discussion, you couldn't figure out what you were saying, so I had to keep reminding you. That's when you pulled an Erick Cartman. (Southpark TV Show)
I have nothing but respect for Whisperfan. I'm not sure if Bender wants to help or just wants others to validate him. I answered some of his ?s in my OP. I also explained for him what an Intermediate Cartridge is and why People and Armies have fielded them.
As for Spartan Patch, it was funny listening to ignorant and arrogent posters trying to claim that I was "drumming up business." Oh right! That was YOU!
I just liked the patch, so I added it. I also considered making an Umbrella Corp. design like on the Resident Evil franchise.
If you would like to suggest another pic, just PM me. Oh no... you only like highjacking threads and vomitting in public. Well, nevermind then. ..|..
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

doubloon wrote:One thing I can't figure out is if you're trying to drum up business for Spartan.
No more than you are committing Online Solicitation or Aggrevated Promotion of Prostitution by Electronic Device by exhibiting your GIF of a woman's breasts waving around.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

So disgruntled customer?
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Only 3 votes have been cast.
I have obstained from voting because I didn't want to skew results. My Favorite Terms are Low Power or Short Range Rifle. People tend to ask how a low power rifle is possible, so it opens an opportunity to begin a discussion on the History of the term Sturmgewehr.
I agree w the prior poster that "Sporting" can cause problems because ALL rifles can have sporting applications. Either on game animals or paper targets.
It's funny listening to Liberals splutter when they hear the tools they have decried as "Assault Weapons" called Low Power.
The obverse/complimentary ? becomes, would they prefer american civilians to carry "Elephant Guns" or .50 BMGs?
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Didn't vote. Try to abstain from linguistic definition arguments. We all know the difference relative semiauto vs. full auto... clip vs. magazine... etc.

You want to throw yourself into a tizzy on the "assault weapon" definition with a NFA audience... go for it.

Pfffffft.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

continuity wrote:...
Pfffffft.
This.

No vote because no change is needed.