Guns and Ammo magazine, and editor Dick Metcalf...sell out?

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

solarguy

Guns and Ammo magazine, and editor Dick Metcalf...sell out?

Post by solarguy »

For those who haven't seen it, the technical editor of Guns and Ammo, Dick Metcalf, wrote an editorial, basically saying, all rights are regulated, and not all regulation is infringement--so chill out. A well regulated militia, needs...regulation. It's ok for the government to require certain training and skill levels before you can carry a gun cc.

Here's the full article to get all the nitty gritty details:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-con ... r-2013.pdf

Guns-n-ammo facebook page is lighting up like a christmas tree with negative comments about the editorial.

https://www.facebook.com/GunsAndAmmoMag

The Brady Campaign (hock/spit!) quickly picked up on it and lists the editorial on the front page, it's on the right, you might have to scroll a little depending on where the sidebar loop is.

http://www.bradycampaign.org/

People posting on the facebook page are like...stunned.

No official response from Guns and Ammo yet, or Dick himself, yet.

Reminds me a lot of that Zumbo incident...

If you feel moved to go tell guns and ammo, and their sponsors, and Dick Metcalf, what you think of a gun mag pimping for more gun regs, knock yourself out. Or maybe that's just me.

troy
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Re: Guns and Ammo magazine, and editor Dick Metcalf...sell o

Post by wacki »

Idiot.

Regulated was defined back then as well equipped and trained. Alexander Hamilton (big gov of the time) hoped for one training session a year, but thought that may not be practical. A page of history is worth a volume of logic.
solarguy

Post by solarguy »

Dick even claims he's a constitutional scholar.

F for fail in my book. Anybody that reads the Federalist papers knows that "well regulated" absolutely does not translate into a bunch of laws about who can have a gun, and who can't.

troy
solarguy

Post by solarguy »

Well, Dick is officially fired from Gun and Ammo.

Guns and Ammo will be lucky if their revenues don't drop 30 or 40%. The profit margin is pretty skinny on print magazines and this could finish them if they don't get big time support from their corporate backers/owners. Bet you're gonna see a lot of flag waving and chest pounding over the 2nd amendment in the next issue.

troy
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

He has been fired.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
O2HeN2
Silent But Deadly

Post by O2HeN2 »

Tinfoil hat time:

A part of me things that maybe, just maybe Jim Bequette, who was about to retire, allowed Dick Metcalf's editorial to be published knowing full well the stance that it presented. He then then fired Dick, who for all we know maybe was about to retire anyways and Jim steps down "early" to appear as if he's punishing himself. Then Jim and Dick go have a few brews slapping each other on the back for opening a "dialog" on gun control (read: If I get to keep my Fuddgun and the rest of the nasty guns go to hell, that's OK).

Jim and Dick get their "take 'em all as long as I get to keep mine" message out and in the end Guns and Ammo's advertisers and subscribers swallow the whole thing hook, line and sinker and stay happy.

O2
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

O2HeN2 wrote:Tinfoil hat time:

A part of me things that maybe, just maybe Jim Bequette, who was about to retire, allowed Dick Metcalf's editorial to be published knowing full well the stance that it presented. He then then fired Dick, who for all we know maybe was about to retire anyways and Jim steps down "early" to appear as if he's punishing himself. Then Jim and Dick go have a few brews slapping each other on the back for opening a "dialog" on gun control (read: If I get to keep my Fuddgun and the rest of the nasty guns go to hell, that's OK).

Jim and Dick get their "take 'em all as long as I get to keep mine" message out and in the end Guns and Ammo's advertisers and subscribers swallow the whole thing hook, line and sinker and stay happy.

O2
Thats a pretty thick tinfoil hat filled will massive speculation! :shock:
Armorer-at-Law
Silent But Deadly

Post by Armorer-at-Law »

Who wins? What does Jim and Dick get out of this? They no longer get to participate in the "discussion." The antis won't rally behind them or support them either because they will not be effective speakers to change "hearts and minds." G&A is hurt.

At best it serves as an example of what happens when "insiders" lose touch. Sadly, it's not the first example of this, but hopefully an example others will heed.
Send lawyers, guns, and money...
Armorer-at-Law.com
07FFL/02SOT
hunter2
Silent But Deadly

Post by hunter2 »

He also writes for Rifleshooter. I can't seem to get into their website to let them know that as long as Dick writes for them I will now be renewing. Can not fathom what he would get out of this or why anybody with common sense would even think that way. Brain disorder?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

hunter2 wrote:He also writes for Rifleshooter. I can't seem to get into their website to let them know that as long as Dick writes for them I will now be renewing. Can not fathom what he would get out of this or why anybody with common sense would even think that way. Brain disorder?
Fudd disease, as long as he gets to keep his deer rifle and duck shotgun he is happy.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

O2HeN2 wrote:Tinfoil hat time:

O2
Nice theory, but Ockham's Razor applies here. Simply put, Metcalf is just another ignorant Fudd.
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Post by johndoe3 »

Tom Gresham's Gun Talk radio show had Dick Metcalf on the show on Nov 10, 2013, giving him a chance to explain his views. Dick had a chance to backpedal, but was unrepentant. He doesn't understand that he went wobbly in the knees in this war for gun rights.

Worth listening to, you can download the MP3 of Part A(1st hour) of the 11/10/2013 show with Metcalf here.

http://guntalk.libsyn.com/
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

It is amazing that the Bill of Rights does not even say that you have the right to kill your unborn baby, and yet people claim it is a right because of privacy. So you should be able to kill your kid as long as it is done in private? They want no limits on that, but heavy limits on guns. Imagine if you needed a permit to get an abortion? Permission in advance? Therapy in advance? Pay a tax in advance (guns and ammo are taxed 11% + sales tax). Poll tax to vote? We need to get much harder core, learn from the pro abortion people, and be just as aggressive.

The FFL system needs to die. How about no permit to buy or carry a gun, but it is a crime to have one if you are a prohibited person?

I don't think a permit is allowed to be a requirement. I don't think guns or ammo can be taxed at all. Not even sales tax. I don't think there should be gun-free zones except in a few specific cases like prisons (but not schools).

I do agree that there are reasonable limits that are open for discussion though. For example, I could agree that the right to be armed is limited to small arms and would not include, for example, Stinger or TOW missiles and on up.

And if the anti-gunners drove a hard bargain, I could see contractually agreeing to give up the right to belt-feds if they reaffirmed our right to have M4s, G36s, Sig 552s, etc.

I have a big investment in transferable guns, and I would lose a lot of money if they were suddenly unbanned. But I would push that button and unban them and take that loss if I had the power.
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Post by johndoe3 »

Robert, I second your sentiments, except for...
The FFL system needs to die.
The Federal .gov does have the enumerated power under the constitution to regulate interstate commerce, and gun sales are the retail end of interstate sales. While it might be possible to convince a Congress to eliminate FFLs, it is probably a much harder sell than doing things like:

National Concealed Carry reciprocity

Removing SBRs and suppressors from the NFA

Striking down the Hughes Amendment to allow for sales of new production fully automatic guns to the public (under NFA)

Eliminating Federal school zone gun laws and leaving it to the States

Knife rights are arms under the 2nd Amendment and many knife laws are unconstitutional, since on-person borne arms "shall not be infringed". To me this includes Escrima sticks, Katana swords, knives of all types, etc. If someone wanted to CCW a relatively short Cold Steel Dragonfly O Tanto sword (15" blade) rather than a handgun, then why not? Realistically, that may be a hard sell even to RKBA proponents.

How about no permit to buy or carry a gun
Most States don't require a permit to buy a gun, and I think it best for people in the States where they have purchase permits to try and eliminate that system in their State.
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

silencertalk wrote: Imagine if you needed a permit to get an abortion? Permission in advance? We need to get much harder core, learn from the pro abortion people, and be just as aggressive.
Wouldn't that be something, a 10-18 month waiting period to get permission to get an abortion. Yet that is EXACTLY what the Totalitarian Progressives have done to self-protection and our Constitutional Protections over the past 100+ years.
The 2nd Ammendment was to prevent Standing Armies, NOT to limit self-protection.
Read the AntiFederalist Papers. Standing Armies were understood to be tools of Totalitarian Governments. The belief that each Able Person (not Insane, Criminal, or Mentally Defective) possessing the Weapons, Training and Reluctent Willingness to use them are the only way to prevent Government Power Grabs.
When only a Standing Army, or Militarized Police, possess a superiority of weapons; Citizens become Subjects. The Consent of the Governed is no longer necessary. Just steal the Labor of those under Gov't control. Each Individual is treated as a Criminal and we are all in a Prison State.
While Capitalists were fighting "Communism," Communalism has slipped in and usurped our Freedoms and Protections.
People say the the Interstate Commerce Clause allows the Feds to control each Action of our lives. Air and Water cross State Lines. Each Atom on Earth has crossed a Political Boundary at some time in Earth's existance. So why not a Breath Tax, Urination Tax, Coitus Tax. Interstate Transport means that we are Serfs, bound to the Soil on which we were born. So accordingly, we must receive Gov't Stamps before travelling across County Lines. Just like under the Soviet System.
There are many cases of land receiving liens because a person raises a vegatable garden. A case in Tennesee where a woman's Homestead was auctioned off to pay the Retroactive Property Taxes because the food she grew COULD have been sold, so therefore the Residential Property Taxes she paid should have been collected as Commercial Property Tax. The tax was retroactive for her entire duration in that home because she was unable to prove that she hadn't had a garden for each year that she was in the house.

Progressivism really means Incrementalism. Slowly eroding Rights and substituting Duties and Taxes.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314