Form 4 eForm snag ( From 1 = success! Form 4 ?????)

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

wacki
Silent But Deadly

Form 4 eForm snag ( From 1 = success! Form 4 ?????)

Post by wacki »

I've done a form 1 via eforms now I'm trying to do a form 4. Has anyone successfully done this?

I'm doing a pre walk through right now. Do I enter all the info into the website or does the dealer? My dealer hasn't done an eForm yet and I'm trying to get this done correctly and quickly. 41P and all....

From the looks of it I think I need my dealers:
  • Exp. Date
  • EIN
  • SOT Class
Anything else?

Semi relevant links:
Form 1 tutorial
http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2013/08/g ... atf-f.html

Form 4 auto submission (Texas Trusts only)
http://www.silencershop.com/electronic- ... ion-trusts
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Re: Form 4 eForm snag ( From 1 = success! Form 4 ?????)

Post by wacki »

Or do I click on "My Profile" and then "FFL / AECA / EIN Access" and do something there???
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Post by dan9591 »

The dealer needs to create an account. You can't do a form 4.

The approval for the dealer to use the site takes a few days, so I suggest you have them do it ASAP....
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

As Dan said YOU can't file a Form4, as you don't own the item, only the owner can file a Form4.

Get your dealer to create an account and then have his inventory associated with the account. Then he can create the Form4 and submit it for you.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

dan9591 wrote:The dealer needs to create an account. You can't do a form 4.

The approval for the dealer to use the site takes a few days, so I suggest you have them do it ASAP....

How many days? EForms site is been crashing all week. :-(
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

wacki wrote:
dan9591 wrote:The dealer needs to create an account. You can't do a form 4.

How many days? EForms site is been crashing all week. :-(
It took us 5 business days to get our inventory associated with the EForm thing.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Bendersquint wrote:
It took us 5 business days to get our inventory associated with the EForm thing.

Ugh this is going to be tight. 5 business days puts me at the 9th and my dealer just registered today.

Thanks bender.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

wacki wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

Ugh this is going to be tight. 5 business days puts me at the 9th and my dealer just registered today.

Thanks bender.
He has to be verified THEN it starts the time to get the inventory associated.

Took us 3 days to get verified.

I would drop it snail mail if you want it in before the 41P closes. Its all based off post mark date.
karb

Post by karb »

Bendersquint wrote:
wacki wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

Thanks bender.
He has to be verified THEN it starts the time to get the inventory associated.

Took us 3 days to get verified.

I would drop it snail mail if you want it in before the 41P closes. Its all based off post mark date.

Ok, that clears things up a bit.
3 days to get verified, and 5 MORE days after that to get inventory
In the e-system. Total of 8 days

Yea, I'm gonna have to send my form 4 old school. Dang it.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

We are past the zero hour unless your SOT is already verified and inventoried.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Bender, you've been through this before. How fast are these laws normally pushed through after comment period? What's the history?

90 days Eform vs 270 days paper. And no guarantee paper will be grandfathered. The 90 day window might be the best option.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

wacki wrote:Bender, you've been through this before. How fast are these laws normally pushed through after comment period? What's the history?

90 days Eform vs 270 days paper. And no guarantee paper will be grandfathered. The 90 day window might be the best option.
The speed it is pushed through is entirely based on the political situation. If we have another Newtown or someone goes nuts with NFA, it will be super fast to "close the loophole", if its quiet it could be 6 months, 5 years, who knows.

All depends on the pusher.

The 90 option is safer but again I am sure that will backlog as well.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

Bendersquint wrote:
wacki wrote:Bender, you've been through this before. How fast are these laws normally pushed through after comment period? What's the history?

The speed it is pushed through is entirely based on the political situation. If we have another Newtown or someone goes nuts with NFA, it will be super fast to "close the loophole", if its quiet it could be 6 months, 5 years, who knows.

All depends on the pusher.

The 90 option is safer but again I am sure that will backlog as well.
I have a kinda local SOT is claiming that once the comment period is over they will require sign offs for entities.

He also claims that SOTs are required to keep copies of their customers Trusts and LLC/Corps Articles of Incorporation in their files to make sure that they have specific NFA language and are legal. I said that I have never heard that before and where is that written in the NFA guidelines. He alluded to it being verbal I sad then it's probably not legit.
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

Kramer wrote:He also claims that SOTs are required to keep copies of their customers Trusts and LLC/Corps Articles of Incorporation in their files to make sure that they have specific NFA language and are legal.
My dealer fills out his part of the forms, and I fill out my part, whether that's as an individual or as an entity. If my dealer hadn't seen the stamps coming back, he never would have known which way they were filled out.
jhjenkins4th

Post by jhjenkins4th »

Kramer wrote:
He also claims that SOTs are required to keep copies of their customers Trusts and LLC/Corps Articles of Incorporation in their files to make sure that they have specific NFA language and are legal. I said that I have never heard that before and where is that written in the NFA guidelines. He alluded to it being verbal I sad then it's probably not legit.
Just curious, I know there is specific language that should be in a Trust that specifies how NFA items should be handled. Is there specific language needed in the Articles of Incorporation of a LLC as well?
karb

Post by karb »

Bendersquint wrote:We are past the zero hour unless your SOT is already verified and inventoried.
Talk about down to the wire!

I was successful with an Eform 4 today(dec 3)with my dealer.
To clarify, he Verified a password and EIN#s on Wednesday nov 27.
It was today when his inventory was usable to the website.
I'm holding the "SUBMITTED" transfer copy.

Oddly enough, it's one sided, and has "digitally signed" written in place
Of my signature. Hope that's Kosher.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Kramer wrote:[
I have a kinda local SOT is claiming that once the comment period is over they will require sign offs for entities.

Your dealer is wrong, there is no need to keep it and it is not an inspectable item for an FFL, only Form3,4,5's are inspectable along with the usual suspects 4473 etc...

It is not the dealers responsibility to ensure that YOUR trust is proper for NFA items, its in his INTEREST to check it over if he knows what he is doing as that will limit the rejections and speed his shops turn over of inventory but no Fed or State requirement to do so.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

I wouldn't hold my breath on 90 days for e submitted form 4's, as I haven't seen mine come in yet(pending 8/12/2013). It may have been that way in the beginning, but doesn't appear to be the case now.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
jhjenkins4th

Post by jhjenkins4th »

RJT wrote:I wouldn't hold my breath on 90 days for e submitted form 4's, as I haven't seen mine come in yet(pending 8/12/2013). It may have been that way in the beginning, but doesn't appear to be the case now.
It actually still seems to be the case. A form my dealer submitted on August 26th cleared and pretty much every eForm submitted in August on NFATracker shows to have been approved by today. Not sure if either yours got buried or if there is an error on your form that's delaying you. I ran into an issue when I first had a eForm submitted on Aug 9th. The BATFE lost the serial number on their database that my dealer was trying to transfer. This was only noticed because my dealer had called the BATFE to confirm the eForms got submitted correctly. They still never fixed the problem, even after 3 weeks after the initial submission, so he submitted a new eForm for me with another serial number. That put my new eForm submission in the first part of Sept. I hope something like this didn't happen to you as well.

I've been tracking the data on my personal spreadsheet and computing the latest avg return times: 95 Total Days / 67 Work Days (excludes weekend/holidays)
karb

Post by karb »

RJT wrote:I wouldn't hold my breath on 90 days for e submitted form 4's, as I haven't seen mine come in yet(pending 8/12/2013). It may have been that way in the beginning, but doesn't appear to be the case now.
Like the original poster waki, I'm just concerned about the 41p
Issue
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

I had a september 2nd e-form 1 clear today. I'm going to risk submitting it via Eform. Crossing fingers that I don't screw myself.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Dealer got an email from ATF saying step 1 is done. Help desk isn't responding. Does anything need to be done to associate inventory?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

wacki wrote:Dealer got an email from ATF saying step 1 is done. Help desk isn't responding. Does anything need to be done to associate inventory?
Yes, the BATFE will associate the inventory, there is nothing for you or your dealer to initiate, its just waiting for it to be completed. If they verified his FFL/SOT then he is in the queue for inventory association.

Have to wait for them to get to him in the queue.
Armorer-at-Law
Silent But Deadly

Post by Armorer-at-Law »

Not true. The proposed rules do not instantly go into effect. Given that more than 6,000 comments have been submitted so far, the agency has to at least go through the motions of considering whether any of the comments raise important points or identify significant flaws. Given that the proposed rules didn't even address some known issues (like how is it handled when the "responsible persons" for an entity changes), some rewriting will certainly have to be done. There are also many additional problems noted in comments that ATF probably had not yet realized. This could lay dormant for several more years, or ATF could re-tune the proposed rules right away (which would probably require another notice and 90-day comment period).
Send lawyers, guns, and money...
Armorer-at-Law.com
07FFL/02SOT
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Armorer-at-Law wrote:
Not true. The proposed rules do not instantly go into effect. Given that more than 6,000 comments have been submitted so far, the agency has to at least go through the motions of considering whether any of the comments raise important points or identify significant flaws. Given that the proposed rules didn't even address some known issues (like how is it handled when the "responsible persons" for an entity changes), some rewriting will certainly have to be done. There are also many additional problems noted in comments that ATF probably had not yet realized. This could lay dormant for several more years, or ATF could re-tune the proposed rules right away (which would probably require another notice and 90-day comment period).
Correct, any changes will require another comment period.

I also verified today that copy/paste comments are counted as only one comment for the final consideration. They use an algorithm to find all the duplicate comments and then move all but 1 to a separate system, it also has a % variance associated with it as well.

This is why it is important to submit your own comment and not just copy paste it. Rearrange it, write your own, sort through the comments and copy parts you like but don't just copy/paste the comment if you want it to be considered.