SBR bill hearing in Olympia Wed 2/26. UPDATE!!

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

ranb
Silent But Deadly

SBR bill hearing in Olympia Wed 2/26. UPDATE!!

Post by ranb »

HB 1561 and SB 5956 are both scheduled for hearings in Olympia WA next week. There has been a big grass roots push for an SBR bill for the last two years and it is finally coming to life. SBR's are legal for dealers, military and police (on duty only) and those few that were grandfathered in prior to July 1994.

Back in 1994 there was an AWB in the works in WA as well as DC. It was removed from the Youth Violence Act but the SBR/SBS ban was left in to "reduce calls for major restrictions". A completely BS reason to ban future ownership of these guns to law abiding adults in my opinion.

We got the police on our side and the major effort in the bill is from the Democrats, not the Republicans; in other words it looks like a real winner! But we still need people to show up to the hearings.

The House bill hearing is in the O'Brien bldg on 1/28 at 1:30pm and the Senate bill hearing is in the Cherberg bldg on 1/31 at 8:00 am. Get there an hour early to sign up and speak your mind to the committee members if you can. There are several other higher profile pro-gun and anti-gun bills scheduled the same days so it could get crowded.

I've been working my ass off on these bills for a long time, sure hope it passes. When it does, SBS is next.

Ranb
Last edited by ranb on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
Armorer-at-Law
Silent But Deadly

Re: SBR bill hearing in Olympia Tuesday 1/28.

Post by Armorer-at-Law »

We wish you well, Washington.
Send lawyers, guns, and money...
Armorer-at-Law.com
07FFL/02SOT
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

Thanks for your hard work, Ranb! Not only on this but the silencer bill as well.
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

A few hundred people showed for the hearings, most for I-594/591. As far as I can tell there was only about a dozen people that signed the sheet for HB 1561. The first sheet had about seven signatures on it (all pro) and then disappeared. I asked one of the staff where it was and she put out a new one which got a few more entries, again all pro.

Five people signed up to speak and we each had about one minute to talk after Blake was done with his presentation.

The support for this bill by the people of WA sucks in comparison to that on either side of the bkgd check initiatives.

I don't see HB 1561 on the agenda for an executive hearing yet. If it is scheduled for an executive hearing, then is should be recommend for passage. Then it is on to the Rules Committee where it should be place on the calendar for a vote on the House floor, then on to the Senate where this starts all over again.

Watch this link for a recording of the hearing. http://www.tvw.org/index.php?option=com ... 2014010151

Randy
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

Bad news; HB 1561 died in committee on 2/7.

Great news; The Senate version of the bill SB 5956 went through Rules and was voted 47-0 passing on the last day before it too would have died. Now it is on the way to the House. :)

Ranb
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

Holy crow! That is great news!
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

I just got a WALEG Committee Agenda Update, SB 5956 is scheduled for a public hearing on 2/26 at 3:30 pm. The executive hearing for other bills is scheduled at the same time. In the past I've seen an executive hearing for a bill done right after a public hearing, so it is possible for the bill to get a pass recommendation on the 26th. Thank you Representative Blake.

If you can be there, please do so. If anyone wants to carpool to Olympia from the Belfair Bremerton area, I can take two people with me.

Randy
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Re: SBR bill hearing in Olympia Wed 2/26. UPDATE!!

Post by ranb »

Inslee signed SB 5956 on April 2nd. The SBR bill becomes law on June 12ish.

Ranb
Armorer-at-Law
Silent But Deadly

Post by Armorer-at-Law »

Well done, ranb!
Send lawyers, guns, and money...
Armorer-at-Law.com
07FFL/02SOT
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Post by johndoe3 »

Congrats ranb, this process shows that a few determined people can make a big difference at the State level.
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
atc250r18

Post by atc250r18 »

Thanks for all of your help and hard work Randy. My SBR form 1 is waiting for the go date to be signed and dated, all thanks to guys like you.