Building and SBR - Process

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

silent_grizz
Silent But Deadly

Building and SBR - Process

Post by silent_grizz »

We are blessed to have an amendment to the law in Washington. Now we will be able to own SBR's.

I'm familiar with the process of getting NFA firearms from a dealer but I'm not familiar with how to register an AR lower as an SBR.

I know you need to fill out a form 1 and I'm setup to do it electronically but I'm hoping someone has a link to a thread or can respond with what the process is... I'm also confused about engraving... If it's a lower receiver with a serial # does it need to be engraved?

Thanks in advance for your help.
AAC M4-2000-08
Gemtech Tundra 9mm
Tactical Innovations Stratus .22LR
Jt.kline19
Silent But Deadly

Re: Building and SBR - Process

Post by Jt.kline19 »

silent_grizz wrote:We are blessed to have an amendment to the law in Washington. Now we will be able to own SBR's.

I'm familiar with the process of getting NFA firearms from a dealer but I'm not familiar with how to register an AR lower as an SBR.

I know you need to fill out a form 1 and I'm setup to do it electronically but I'm hoping someone has a link to a thread or can respond with what the process is... I'm also confused about engraving... If it's a lower receiver with a serial # does it need to be engraved?

Thanks in advance for your help.
You need to engrave the serial number you choose and the name or entity you manufactured it under. Also city and state it was manufactured in.
Once a Marine Always a Marine, so why reenlist?
Member of LSU
In Memory of the First Person to Get Me Into Guns, and NFA. RIP Edward R. Kline USAF Retired, August 12, 1953- May 26, 2012
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Jt.kline19 wrote:
silent_grizz wrote:If it's a lower receiver with a serial # does it need to be engraved?
You need to engrave the serial number you choose and the name or entity you manufactured it under. Also city and state it was manufactured in.
So yes, you need to engrave new info. You are in essence, remanufacturing. (Just using previously made receiver.)
I don't know if you can reuse the previous ser# or need to engrave a new 1. Or just engrave the same 1 a 2nd time?
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
thomasnelson

Post by thomasnelson »

Jt.kline19 wrote:You need to engrave the serial number you choose and the name or entity you manufactured it under. Also city and state it was manufactured in.
I've just completed two Form 1s for SBR Approval...
  • 1: Get you receiver engraved. It must state (*1) your name or full Trust/Corp name AND (*2) the City, State in which it was made into a SBR.
    .... a: **Note Laser engraving is not good for this purpose because it does not etch deep enough into the metal.
    2: Decide what length barrel you want. You must have a length specified on the form, box 4e
    3: Calculate the total length of the SBR. For firearms with collapsible or folding stocks, use the fully extended length in your measurements and fill in box 4f.
    4: If your receiver already as a serial number on it ( which ALL should) This is the serial number that you will put in box 4g. If you are building from an 80% complete billet then you can make up any serial number you wish.
    5: Listen carefully... You can not possess ( house in the same location) parts to convert a firearm into a SBR without first getting approval via Form 1.
    .... a: With that said, don't make the mistake I did and find out that your desired barrel length was no longer being made after waiting for approval to be completed. I had to amend my form after choosing a new barrel.
    .... b: You can purchase the barrel length that you want but keep it at a family members or trusted friends home until you get you approved form back. this way you can immediately continue your build.
    6: If you are shortening you barrel via cutting and re-crowning, you can NOT cut it until you receive your approved form back.
    7: Once you get your form approved, assemble or cut you barrel. ( e-file is taking about 4 months with the constant reboots everyday).
    8: Grin ear to ear because you now own something special.. . :D
Hope this helps.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

thomasnelson wrote:
Jt.kline19 wrote:You need to engrave the serial number you choose and the name or entity you manufactured it under. Also city and state it was manufactured in.
I've just completed two Form 1s for SBR Approval...
  • 1: Get you receiver engraved. It must state (*1) your name or full Trust/Corp name AND (*2) the City, State in which it was made into a SBR.
    .... a: **Note Laser engraving is not good for this purpose because it does not etch deep enough into the metal.
    2: Decide what length barrel you want. You must have a length specified on the form, box 4e
    3: Calculate the total length of the SBR. For firearms with collapsible or folding stocks, use the fully extended length in your measurements and fill in box 4f.
    4: If your receiver already as a serial number on it ( which ALL should) This is the serial number that you will put in box 4g. If you are building from an 80% complete billet then you can make up any serial number you wish.
    5: Listen carefully... You can not possess ( house in the same location) parts to convert a firearm into a SBR without first getting approval via Form 1.
    .... a: With that said, don't make the mistake I did and find out that your desired barrel length was no longer being made after waiting for approval to be completed. I had to amend my form after choosing a new barrel.
    .... b: You can purchase the barrel length that you want but keep it at a family members or trusted friends home until you get you approved form back. this way you can immediately continue your build.
    6: If you are shortening you barrel via cutting and re-crowning, you can NOT cut it until you receive your approved form back.
    7: Once you get your form approved, assemble or cut you barrel. ( e-file is taking about 4 months with the constant reboots everyday).
    8: Grin ear to ear because you now own something special.. . :D
Hope this helps.
Laser engraving IS kosher as long as it goes to depth, we have done it before for our NFA engravings for customers. I can infact cut a piece of metal in half with a laser, so its plenty deep for NFA engraving purposes.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

whiterussian1974 wrote:
Jt.kline19 wrote:
silent_grizz wrote:If it's a lower receiver with a serial # does it need to be engraved?
So yes, you need to engrave new info. You are in essence, remanufacturing. (Just using previously made receiver.)
I don't know if you can reuse the previous ser# or need to engrave a new 1. Or just engrave the same 1 a 2nd time?
The Form1 holder is the MAKER of the firearm. MAKERS have to abide by MANUFACTURERS marking requirements.

MANUFACTURERS are licensees, if you are NOT an 07/02 you are a MAKER.

It is recommended to use the serial number of the firearm you are converting. You do not need to engrave it if it is already engraved.

In addition you will need to engrave your FULL entity/individual name, no abbreviations or anything so be sure to choose a short entity name.

You will also have to engrave your city and state into the receiver, abbreviations can be used as long as they are USPS abbreviations. ie..... OKC is acceptable for Oklahoma City.....its the USPS abbreviation.
Jt.kline19
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jt.kline19 »

Bendersquint wrote: I don't know if you can reuse the previous ser# or need to engrave a new 1. Or just engrave the same 1 a 2nd time?
The Form1 holder is the MAKER of the firearm. MAKERS have to abide by MANUFACTURERS marking requirements.

It is recommended to use the serial number of the firearm you are converting. You do not need to engrave it if it is already engraved.

In addition you will need to engrave your FULL entity/individual name, no abbreviations or anything so be sure to choose a short entity name.

You will also have to engrave your city and state into the receiver, abbreviations can be used as long as they are USPS abbreviations. ie..... OKC is acceptable for Oklahoma City.....its the USPS abbreviation.[/quote]
Do you really think the difference in the meaning means anything to a form 1 that is approved?
Member of LSU
In Memory of the First Person to Get Me Into Guns, and NFA. RIP Edward R. Kline USAF Retired, August 12, 1953- May 26, 2012
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Jt.kline19 wrote:
Bendersquint wrote: I don't know if you can reuse the previous ser# or need to engrave a new 1. Or just engrave the same 1 a 2nd time?

You will also have to engrave your city and state into the receiver, abbreviations can be used as long as they are USPS abbreviations. ie..... OKC is acceptable for Oklahoma City.....its the USPS abbreviation.
Do you really think the difference in the meaning means anything to a form 1 that is approved?[/quote]

It does because a MANUFACTURER can replace baffles etc..... a MAKER can not.

Different rules and people confuse the 2 often, so just making it clear that the Form1 holder is NOT a manufacturer.
Jt.kline19
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jt.kline19 »

Makers can replace baffles, they just have to apply for another making tax for each part replaced if that's the route they choose. I
Member of LSU
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Jt.kline19 wrote:Makers can replace baffles, they just have to apply for another making tax for each part replaced if that's the route they choose. I
Good call, I should have clarified it more.