Can you become an NFA dealer from your apartment?

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

alextryan

Can you become an NFA dealer from your apartment?

Post by alextryan »

I've been prowling the internet and this site for the answer to this to no avail, so maybe y'all can help me:

Can I become an FFL/SOT if all I have is my apartment and a safe? The business would be small volume suppressor sales. Seems too easy to me but I can't find anything that strictly says "no" to that arrangement. Any knowledge would be appreciated.
"Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician." Jeff Cooper
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Can you become an NFA dealer from your apartment?

Post by doubloon »

It's probably going to depend more on the terms of your rental agreement. Even some neighborhoods have restrictions against running businesses from your home address.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Armorer-at-Law
Silent But Deadly

Post by Armorer-at-Law »

First look at whether you could operate any type of business from that location (think zoning regs). Next look at whether you could operate a business that sells products directly to customers at that location (even if the customer traffic would be minimal). In some cases, this depends on whether you would store any inventory at that location. Finally, look at whether your lease allows you to operate a business at that location, and specifically whether the landlord would sign a letter to ATF saying he is aware of the nature of your business (firearms) and does not disapprove. If you can pass these hurdles, then ATF will not be a problem.
Send lawyers, guns, and money...
Armorer-at-Law.com
07FFL/02SOT
aggiez28
Silent But Deadly

Post by aggiez28 »

a safe is not required.

yes you can run it from an apartment (assuming the apartment, zoning, and other local things are OK with it)
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

As Aggie said no "safe" is required however you do have to have a means to secure inventory.

Also don't forget that you will have to have the permission of the property holder EXPLICITLY saying its ok to sell firearms from the apartment.

Zoning will be the hardest even with the permission of the property owner.

If you can get all the signoffs then congrats, most apartment complexes don't want people running businesses on their property let alone a business that is putting guns on the streets. They don't tend to really like the liability associated with a gun business in an apartment.

Let us know how it turns out.
aggiez28
Silent But Deadly

Post by aggiez28 »

As Aggie said no "safe" is required however you do have to have a means to secure inventory.
apartments do come with locks on the door. that is fine.
Also don't forget that you will have to have the permission of the property holder EXPLICITLY saying its ok to sell firearms from the apartment.
not required. not the explicit part at least.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

aggiez28 wrote:
apartments do come with locks on the door. that is fine.
not required. not the explicit part at least.
The ATF won't signoff on "Can have a business on the rented property" It has to say firearms or FFL, or gun sales. If that was the case then everyone wold ask for permission to sell Avon and then sell machineguns.

I have seen dozens of rejections without specifying that it is a firearm business.
aggiez28
Silent But Deadly

Post by aggiez28 »

eh, I have seen plenty that didnt specify and they went through.

who is managing your application will play a significant role in it.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

aggiez28 wrote:eh, I have seen plenty that didnt specify and they went through.

who is managing your application will play a significant role in it.
Thats good to hear!
aggiez28
Silent But Deadly

Post by aggiez28 »

to fulfill requirements such as these (landlord, HOA, etc) instead of asking for a letter that explicitly says you can run a gun company you can go about it the opposite way.

You tell them you want to run a company from your home and need a letter stating that it is ok. Ask if there are any restrictions as to the type of business and include those restrictions in the letter.

the intent is to have a letter basically saying that "XXXX is allowed to operate a business from XYZ as long as it blah blah blah."

If they as what type of business then you say sporting goods or another terms that fits and is less scary.

if you go an ask for permission to run a gun company then they will likely say no, regardless of the actual rules that are in place. if you ask for a letter saying it is ok to run a business and have them list out the restrictions to what is allowed then you may be fine.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

aggiez28, very clever "beurocratic" approach.

Smart HOAs and Leasing Offices won't allow it though. They say, "Case by case basis," and demand that you file a detailed request for Variance. Then disqualify your Waiver if any jot or tittle is out of place.

I'd prefer to use discreet and ambiguous phrasing if going against a tough restiction. Then make them prove "intent" if they don't like the course of action I take.

Also, Initial Contract signing is the best time for Leasing Office Agreement.
That's when they are most willing to concede.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
aggiez28
Silent But Deadly

Post by aggiez28 »

whiterussian1974 wrote:aggiez28, very clever "beurocratic" approach.

Smart HOAs and Leasing Offices won't allow it though. They say, "Case by case basis," and demand that you file a detailed request for Variance. Then disqualify your Waiver if any jot or tittle is out of place.

I'd prefer to use discreet and ambiguous phrasing if going against a tough restiction. Then make them prove "intent" if they don't like the course of action I take.

Also, Initial Contract signing is the best time for Leasing Office Agreement.
That's when they are most willing to concede.
if they want tyou to go into detail, it helps alot if you pick your words carefully. lay heavy into the stuff they will think is ok and just make small mention of the evil guns.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

aggiez28 wrote:if they want tyou to go into detail, it helps alot if you pick your words carefully. lay heavy into the stuff they will think is ok and just make small mention of the evil guns.
Yes. Self Defense equipment and hearing safety devices are great Terms.

Surprisingly, "Gaming" and "Sporting" are big turn-offs. People think Gambling and cock fights.

Also working "Women and Minorities" into the discription is a big plus. Women are 52% and Men 48% of World Population. So nothing inaccurate. Use PC Bigotry to your advantage.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
aggiez28
Silent But Deadly

Post by aggiez28 »

whiterussian1974 wrote:
aggiez28 wrote:if they want tyou to go into detail, it helps alot if you pick your words carefully. lay heavy into the stuff they will think is ok and just make small mention of the evil guns.
Yes. Self Defense equipment and hearing safety devices are great Terms.

Surprisingly, "Gaming" and "Sporting" are big turn-offs. People think Gambling and cock fights.

Also working "Women and Minorities" into the discription is a big plus. Women are 52% and Men 48% of World Population. So nothing inaccurate. Use PC Bigotry to your advantage.
another thing to note is that just because you are going to have an FFL, it does not mean that it has to be a large portion of your business. The majority of your business or at least the majority of your pitch could be something very tame. and acceptable.