Wrong Length on a Form 1

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

HK91
Silent Operator

Wrong Length on a Form 1

Post by HK91 »

Hello,

I submitted a eForm 1 for an AR-15 SBR back in early February and it was approved in late June. I miscalculated the overall length and put 31.5" for the length of the SBR with the 10.5" barrel on the F1. Once I got it all put together, I measured it at 28" with the stock extended and not including the muzzle brake mount. With the muzzle brake the length is 30".

So my question is do I need to let the ATF know the new length?

Some searches I did indicate I would not include the added length of the muzzle brake.

So is the correct length to use 28"?

How do I inform the ATF if needed, letter or is there a form?

Thanks,

HK91
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Wrong Length on a Form 1

Post by Bendersquint »

HK91 wrote:Hello,

I submitted a eForm 1 for an AR-15 SBR back in early February and it was approved in late June. I miscalculated the overall length and put 31.5" for the length of the SBR with the 10.5" barrel on the F1. Once I got it all put together, I measured it at 28" with the stock extended and not including the muzzle brake mount. With the muzzle brake the length is 30".

Some searches I did indicate I would not include the added length of the muzzle brake.

Thanks,

HK91
Yes, you need to notify the ATF of the amended length.

You only count permanent features in the measurement, if the brake/fh comes off then its not counted.

I would send the ATF a letter with a copy of your Form1 and ask that the length be amended to 28".

In 3 years you will receive a letter that it has been amended and thank you for keeping the NFRTR up to date.
HK91
Silent Operator

Post by HK91 »

Thanks Bender for the quick reply.

I will write the letter this weekend and take care of it. If it was not for a a buddy asking how long the SBR turned out because he thought it seemed shorter than 31."5 I told him, I would not have measured it.

Thanks again,

HK91
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Its pretty common to amend the length on SBR's. Its done all the time.
LawBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by LawBob »

Bendersquint wrote:
HK91 wrote:Hello,

Thanks,

HK91
Yes, you need to notify the ATF of the amended length.

You only count permanent features in the measurement, if the brake/fh comes off then its not counted.

I would send the ATF a letter with a copy of your Form1 and ask that the length be amended to 28".

In 3 years you will receive a letter that it has been amended and thank you for keeping the NFRTR up to date.

:lol:

What if you put a SBS for 7" barrel, and 20" OAL, but when it came time to circumcise, you only took 9" off (so, a barrel length of 9")?

i.e., I could still chop it to my SBS Form1 ...
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

I would not waste my time or theirs over 3.5 inches of OAL.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

renegade wrote:I would not waste my time or theirs over 3.5 inches of OAL.
Exactly. All they worry about is that you took the time to register a shorty.