FFL 07 Application Question

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

MetalChips

FFL 07 Application Question

Post by MetalChips »

Hello Gentlemen,

Quick question about applying for a FFL 07.

I will be doing all of my work in my shop, that is separate from my house. The property is currently zoned as agricultural. Will I need to have that changed for the shop location? I am located in a rural area, if that makes a difference. I don't plan on having any sales at the location, only manufacturing and shipping out from there.

Thanks Folks!
Armorer-at-Law
Silent But Deadly

Re: FFL 07 Application Question

Post by Armorer-at-Law »

Check your state and local zoning laws/code. Would some other type of "light manufacturing" and shipping be allowed? Do you homework on this before you submit the FFL application.
Send lawyers, guns, and money...
Armorer-at-Law.com
07FFL/02SOT
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

If the property is not zoned for industrial they will require something in writing on letterhead about the state/county/city being aware of it and making the zoning variance.

ATF WILL check how the property is zoned, so if your state/county/city won't give you a letter approving your activities then you are SOL.

I would get that letter first before you waste anytime filling out the app.
MetalChips

Post by MetalChips »

Bendersquint wrote:If the property is not zoned for industrial they will require something in writing on letterhead about the state/county/city being aware of it and making the zoning variance.

ATF WILL check how the property is zoned, so if your state/county/city won't give you a letter approving your activities then you are SOL.

Thank you Bender, That's what I was after!

I contacted my local courthouse planning folks last night who were unfamiliar with what type of zoning I needed for my activities. They said they would be getting back to me in a day or so. I am outside of any city limits, so I don't think that I need to deal with any sort of city zoning and restrictions, just the county and state.

I can't find any literature about the letterhead that you mentioned, is that simply a letter that is officially stating something?

Thanks for the help.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

MetalChips wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:If the property is not zoned for industrial they will require something in writing on letterhead about the state/county/city being aware of it and making the zoning variance.

Thank you Bender, That's what I was after!

I contacted my local courthouse planning folks last night who were unfamiliar with what type of zoning I needed for my activities. They said they would be getting back to me in a day or so. I am outside of any city limits, so I don't think that I need to deal with any sort of city zoning and restrictions, just the county and state.

I can't find any literature about the letterhead that you mentioned, is that simply a letter that is officially stating something?

Thanks for the help.

Yes on zoning commission letterhead they have to state that they are aware of your desire to manufacturer firearms on said property and that it doesn't violate any local/state ordinances etc....

We were outside city limits and were still required to have a statement form the city saying it was ok.
MetalChips

Post by MetalChips »

Bendersquint wrote:
Yes on zoning commission letterhead they have to state that they are aware of your desire to manufacturer firearms on said property and that it doesn't violate any local/state ordinances etc....

We were outside city limits and were still required to have a statement form the city saying it was ok.

Okay, that helps.

So In obtaining the three letters from my city, county, and state do you have any advice for that? An abundance of please and thank-yous?
jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Post by jreinke »

Your first stop in the town (township) board. Go to the monthly meeting and explain what you want to do. Then they will vote on it. Then and only then will it be elevated to the county zoning board. At that point you'll probably be expected to lay out some cash for a zoning review. At some point letters MAY be set out to your neighbors asking them if they would mind having a business in the area. Usually only a half mile radius. After that's all said and the county zoning board will vote yes or no. How do I know all this? This is what I'm going through right now just to get a Type 01 FFL for gunsmithing. One problem I'm facing is that the last guy that had a FFL also ran a range on his property. There were complaints, lots of them. I've got to convince some members on the board that having a FFL does NOT give you a license to have a rifle range. Don't ya just love small town/rural politics?
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
MetalChips

Post by MetalChips »

The planning department got back to me and said that I would be fine to go with a cottage industry. The requirements aren't too harsh and I was told that everything would be filed and back to me in about 60 days.

Hopefully that all plays out nicely. This does mean I have to clean my mess of a shop though...