Excellent chance of 2 pro-gun Bills to pass in 2017

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Excellent chance of 2 pro-gun Bills to pass in 2017

Post by johndoe3 »

http://www.guns.com/2016/11/09/with-tru ... -for-2017/

First possibility is the Bill removing suppressors from NFA regulation; a Bill with many co-sponsors. Donald Trump Jr. mentioned that freeing suppressors from NFA is on the table when visiting Silencerco.
A Republican trifecta in Washington next year will likely see action on a bill to remove firearm suppressors from National Firearms Act regulation after 82 years.

The Hearing Protection Act was introduced last October by U.S. Rep. Matt Salmon, R-Ariz., and currently has 78 bipartisan co-sponsors from 34 states. Since then, the HPA has been among the top 10 most-viewed bills on Congress.gov almost every week since it was introduced.

However, with a slim Republican majority in the Senate unable to override a near-certain veto from President Obama, the bill has been in doldrums.

Now, with the White House under new management next year, advocates for the measure feel signs are looking up and will likely return to the next Congress with a fresh mandate.

...Although Trump has not gone on record as supporting NFA deregulation, Donald Jr. visited SilencerCo in September and made clear it was definitely on the table.
The second is the National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act which merely requires all States to recognize the CCW permits from all other States. The last vote on it had 57 senators for it and overwhelming passage in the House; only the prospect of a veto from President Obama also temporarily stopped it.
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
Fulliautomatix
Silent But Deadly

Re: Excellent chance of 2 pro-gun Bills to pass in 2017

Post by Fulliautomatix »

Yeah, SilencerCo has been sending out emails about the HPA. I like the kicker that states you'll get a refund for any tax stamps that you've paid for since the bill was introduced in October 2015.
Speak softly, and carry a big stick.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

johndoe3 wrote:
The second is the National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act which merely requires all States to recognize the CCW permits from all other States. The last vote on it had 57 senators for it and overwhelming passage in the House; only the prospect of a veto from President Obama also temporarily stopped it.
If they do this it will be worthless without teeth. Any cop, and I am talking especially to you MA, CT, NY, NJ, IL, CA, etc, that violates that law MUST be federally prosecuted, no plea deals allowed, minimum sentence of 10 years. We have to help those goons make better decisions.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
cdrissel
Silent Operator

Post by cdrissel »

Personally, I doubt either one will pass.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

cdrissel wrote:Personally, I doubt either one will pass.
These days, a sense of pessimism regarding future gun-rights is appropriate. But in this case, the numbers are already on the side of it passing.

I wouldn't say that one should be hopeful.... but this has a very real chance of going all the way.
cdrissel
Silent Operator

Post by cdrissel »

I'm hopeful, just don't see it happening. But then again I did not think Trump would win either. I guess we will see.
Todd Is

Post by Todd Is »

Same here, didn't think for a second that the Trump would win....As for that matter, I didn't think Hilarious would win either. Man, the torment and anguish I went thru just thinking about it. When all was said and done, I sorta breathed a sigh of relief that Hillary didn't get it.

Now, I'm hoping there is a chance in hell, that the pro gun bills will pass. Ya never know, I mean, who would of ever thought suppressors would become legal in some states to hunt game animals with.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

Who thought CCW would get this far? Progress is being made in the right direction.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

I'm not so sure nationwide CCW would be necessarily a good thing. It could be to the most restrictive state law.
HK91
Silent Operator

Post by HK91 »

I doubt either will pass. One problem is that some states only allow silencers if they are registered with ATF. So if no registration, then the states may not allow them until they change their individual state laws. Could just open up another can of worms.

For CCW reciprocity, if states allow reciprocity with drivers licenses, marriage, and now by SCOTUS ruling gay marriage, they should also force reciprocal CCW.

HK91
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

Part of the HPA addresses the tax paid issue. CCW is already covered by the Full Faith and Credit clause, but the states don't follow the law.
PyroGuy

Post by PyroGuy »

Can you imagine the fodder for the anti-gun left that this will provide ? Mythbusters did a story on sound in the movies as opposed to sounds in real life, and suppressors were featured -they had never seen one in their lives, let alone shot one. Same on the other coast. I really doubt this will get traction.
But..... If I could get my $1,200.00 dollars back......