Obama kicks gunowners on last day with ammo ban

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Obama kicks gunowners on last day with ammo ban

Post by johndoe3 »

http://freebeacon.com/issues/obama-offi ... ay-office/

On Thursday, now former president Obama kicked at all gunowners on his way out of office. The Feds mandated lead-free ammo for various federal lands, which went into effect immediately--includes National Parks, Wildlife Refuges and any land administered by the Fish and Wildlife Service. It was a deliberate slap in the face against gunowners, and their reason for enacting it is bogus.

For example, people can conceal carry into National Parks in accordance with State laws, but now their pistol ammo has to be lead-free while within the National Parks or other Federal lands. This ought to be another Obama regulation that Trump/Pence need to overturn--immediately.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Director Dan Ashe, an Obama appointee, ordered a new ammunition ban for certain federal lands on Thursday–his last full day in office.

The ban, which took effect immediately, eliminates the use of lead-based ammunition on federal lands like national parks and wildlife refuges, as well as any other land administered by the Fish and Wildlife Service. The ban is expected to have a major impact on much of the hunting that takes place on federal lands across the United States as lead-based ammunition is widely legal and used throughout the country.

Ashe said the order was necessary to protect wildlife from exposure to lead.

...Gun rights activists expressed outrage at the last-minute move, labeling it political. The National Shooting Sports Foundation called for the agency’s next director to immediately rescind the order.

“This directive is irresponsible and driven not out of sound science but unchecked politics,” said Lawrence Keane, the group’s senior vice president. “The timing alone is suspect. This directive was published without dialogue with industry, sportsmen, and conservationists. The next director should immediately rescind this and, instead, create policy based upon scientific evidence of population impacts with regard to the use of traditional ammunition.”
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Obama kicks gunowners on last day with ammo ban

Post by a_canadian »

Well that was dumb. Studies have shown lead isn't a problem on the ground, even in streams and lakes. The real problem is when it gets ingested, something that tends to happen to predatory and carrion feeding critters due to shotgun-wounded or downed but uncollected waterfowl. If anything ban lead shot, which damn near wiped out the condor that way.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

a_canadian wrote:Well that was dumb. Studies have shown lead isn't a problem on the ground, even in streams and lakes. The real problem is when it gets ingested, something that tends to happen to predatory and carrion feeding critters due to shotgun-wounded or downed but uncollected waterfowl. If anything ban lead shot, which damn near wiped out the condor that way.
I don't do much shotgunning, but if I'm not mistaken, water-fowl shot is lead-free.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Well there you go. Never fired a shotgun myself so what the heck do I know? Awful loud things, and I crave precision when I shoot... So anyway, no need for any changes regarding ammunition composition. But then you've got the California situation regarding lead... so who knows, maybe there's better data out there now? Haven't run across anything myself regarding sports shooting lead and groundwater being all that bad together but maybe I read the wrong places on the ol' Interwebs.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

The thing that sucks is how it is interpreted. It states that it is the use that is restricted not necessarily possession. I cycle through a lot of federal land and I always carry when I do as you can run into some strange folks out and about.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

a_canadian wrote:Well there you go. Never fired a shotgun myself so what the heck do I know? Awful loud things, and I crave precision when I shoot...
I felt the same way for a long time, but once I shot some trap and skeet, I realized two things: first, shotgunning is quite a bit of fun, and not particularly loud or hard when shooting ordinary shot for clays. Two, it takes precision... much more than I originally thought. I thought you'd just point the gun in the general direction of the sky and the spread would do it (not really, but close enough), but that turned out not to be the case at all.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

TROOPER wrote:
a_canadian wrote:Well there you go. Never fired a shotgun myself so what the heck do I know? Awful loud things, and I crave precision when I shoot...
I felt the same way for a long time, but once I shot some trap and skeet, I realized two things: first, shotgunning is quite a bit of fun, and not particularly loud or hard when shooting ordinary shot for clays. Two, it takes precision... much more than I originally thought. I thought you'd just point the gun in the general direction of the sky and the spread would do it (not really, but close enough), but that turned out not to be the case at all.
Clay shooting is hard. And wingshooting fast birds, such as small ducks, is even harder.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Post by jreinke »

The way it is worded, it also applies to lead 22 rimfire ammo!
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]