Newbie purchase with trust ?'s

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

chingon
Silent But Deadly

Newbie purchase with trust ?'s

Post by chingon »

Just wanted to say thank you to all the posters at this forum. I have been reading threads here for the last two weeks and have learned a great deal. I will be purchasing a TAC 65 on form 4 with revocable living trust. It seems that over the last 2 months some requirements have changed, or least it appears that way. I have read threads where form 1 and 4 have gone thru with just "declaration" or just "certification" or both with and without the citizenship form, and then the story of the buyer whose agent requested the Schedule A. Just to be safe I will send copies of cert. and declar. and the citizenship form. I don't belive I will send in the Schedule A.
What has me confused are the dates on the declar. and cert. of trust. I have read theads where the dates cannot or should not be the same. Is there a "proper" spacing of the dates on these forms ?
How particular are the feds with details ? I just noticed that on my declaration of trust the notary made a mistake and wrote in the day's date on the line for the expiration of her commission. The stamp says 5/5/2011 and she wrote 9/17/2007.

Thanks again for all the help.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

All that crap you mentioned is peopl's POVwhat happened to them.

If you want to play it safe send in the Declaration of Trust and I would not included a Schedual A.

I have too been approved with and without citzenship form, clearly again if you want to play it safe send it in too.

The dates on the forms should not matter.

Even so since it's a RLT you can change anythign at any time, so if yyou are worried about it, go change it and do it right.

Then you should be good to go.
NFAtalk.org
George Hayduke

Another question from a Newbie

Post by George Hayduke »

If the Living Trust is "revocable" is that bad? I am a newbie to the Trust option. Ive been through the CLEO option, but not an option from what I hear now that Im back in Dallas vs East Tx. Ive been told to download Quicken Will Maker and fill in the blanks, but what else needs to be done? Do I need to ad in a serial # every time I buy a new toy?

Thanks

G. H.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

You want "Revocable", that mean you can change parts of the Trust later if you wish.

"Irrevocable" would be a VERY bad idea as you can't change anything once it's final.

As to the serial number, you just update your "Schduale A" / The part of the Trust that lists what is owned by the Trust, as you get new NFA toys.

You can change the Schduale A assests becasue it's "revocable".
NFAtalk.org
Bob

Post by Bob »

Absolutely you want a REVOCABLE trust. As the previous poster indicated, if you use an Irrevocable Trust, you cannot change or amend the trust. For most situations that would be bad. Ther are some limited situations where an irrevocable trust may be used in a persons overall estate plan, but not generally with NFA assets and not without the assistance of a qualified estate planning attorney. Using an irrevocable trust where it is not needed can cause you SERIOUS problems.

Bob Howell, Esq., FFL/SOT
Ras1234

Schedule A ??????????

Post by Ras1234 »

How do you go about getting the suppressor for example listed on the Schedule A before you submit the trust paperwork to the ATF? Will the dealer you buy the suppressor from give you a serial number to put on the paperwork or what? I be a tad bit confused.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

I always add it after the BATFE approves it.

Some people add it once they have paid for it.
NFAtalk.org
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Re: Schedule A ??????????

Post by Diomed »

Ras1234 wrote:How do you go about getting the suppressor for example listed on the Schedule A before you submit the trust paperwork to the ATF? Will the dealer you buy the suppressor from give you a serial number to put on the paperwork or what? I be a tad bit confused.
I saw it explained elsewhere (on this board, I think) thusly: when you buy for your trust, you/your trust owns the item when it's paid for. But, you don't have legal title to it yet. Like buying a car or a house, you own it but until the title or deed is registered to you, it's not really yours.

That's a not-technical and possibly inaccurate description, but if someone can explain it better, by all means...