fyi: ATF posts a Silencer Repair/Alteration FAQ, 4/17/08

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Allen-PSI

fyi: ATF posts a Silencer Repair/Alteration FAQ, 4/17/08

Post by Allen-PSI »

It's only 3 pages long, so it's a quick read, of stuff that is quite surprising.
http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/nfa/0 ... r-faqs.pdf

a friend found it here,
http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/nfa/info.htm

and here on SubGuns:
http://www.subguns.com/boards/mgmsg.cgi?read=653863

I'm curious what the legal minds here have to say on this FAQ.

Allen
Allen
Polite Society Inc.
FFL / SOT
hemi
Silent But Deadly

Post by hemi »

So in a nutshell, we learned:

If you have to get a new tube, even w/the same serial by the manufacturer, you gotta pay another $200.

If you have the manufacturer bore out to a different caliber, you just bought another silencer and has to be registered as such.
Jmark
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jmark »

04hemi wrote:So in a nutshell, we learned:

If you have to get a new tube, even w/the same serial by the manufacturer, you gotta pay another $200.

If you have the manufacturer bore out to a different caliber, you just bought another silencer and has to be registered as such.
Well, it could have been defective. :wink:
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Well that sucks.
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

They should refund the first $200 then since it no longer exists.

And to this I have to say: How will they know if a manufacturer rebuilds/replaces a silencer?
It will look the same and have the same serial number.

And how common is reboring a suppressor?
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

Jmark wrote:

Keep reading. The defect needs to be found before it leaves the MFG.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

Interesting...............................

Thanks for posting the info.

At least it wasn't some dipshit's letter.

:D

You can still gut the innner part of the can..............it seems IMHO that if you use the original outer tube, then everything is ok.
Last edited by ArevaloSOCOM on Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NFAtalk.org
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

I want to know how this plays out.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

04hemi wrote:
I don't see how this makes sense. You can put a 9mm upper on an M16 and did not *make* a new rifle. A judge might have to decide that.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Kel seems very pleased with getting the ATF to publish the Gemtech letter so that it applies to everyone. They knew about it the same day (April 17th 2008) that it was published so they were clearly involved.

Thank them here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=20&t=241896
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

anyone know the 1999 Bardwell letter Dater makes reference too?

I'd liek to read that.
NFAtalk.org
Jmark
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jmark »

renegade wrote:
Jmark wrote:

Keep reading. The defect needs to be found before it leaves the MFG.
Yea, read it wrong. :?

If I thanked them over there, I probably would only be here from then on. bleh
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

rsilvers wrote:Kel seems very pleased with getting the ATF to publish the Gemtech letter so that it applies to everyone. They knew about it the same day (April 17th 2008) that it was published so they were clearly involved.

Having seen the last Gemtech can AAC "rebuilt" I can't really blame them. You basically took an M4-2k and engraved it with the Gemtech mfr info from the previous unit, right? It would probably piss you off if they stamped "Advanced Armament Norcross Georgia" and a previous AAC serial number on a G5.

They went about it in a way that totally fucked the end users, but I understand their indignation anyway.
MaverickH1
Silent But Deadly

Post by MaverickH1 »

This really pisses me off. So now if my CCF carbon fiber can breaks, I have to pay another $200 and wait another 2 months to get the aluminum tube on it... ??

ETA: Well, at the end it makes it sound like if the tube breaks per a manufacturing error, then the tube can be replaced and use the same serial number as the previous one... so I guess that's good for me since these do break as a manufacturing error in my opinion...
Last edited by MaverickH1 on Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

rsilvers wrote:Kel seems very pleased with getting the ATF to publish the Gemtech letter so that it applies to everyone. They knew about it the same day (April 17th 2008) that it was published so they were clearly involved.

Yeah really. Now an EDM bore costs $200, as does the AAC upgrade to the latest model for 1/2 cost.
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

renegade wrote:

Yeah really. Now an EDM bore costs $200, as does the AAC upgrade to the latest model for 1/2 cost.
Does an EDM out HAVE to be a change in caliber? Maybe you're really worried about baffle strikes....
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

MaverickH1 wrote:This really pisses me off. So now if my CCF carbon fiber can breaks, I have to pay another $200 and wait another 2 months to get the aluminum tube on it... ??

ETA: Well, at the end it makes it sound like if the tube breaks per a manufacturing error, then the tube can be replaced and use the same serial number as the previous one... so I guess that's good for me since these do break as a manufacturing error in my opinion...
Read again, they state it has to be caught before the sale...
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

The way I read it, it still seems possible to preserve the SN part of the tube and remake a new one with the same dimensions, or less?( Weld on the old SN part somewhere?)
Jmark
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jmark »

Is there any way to find out who requested the ruling?
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

Jmark wrote:Is there any way to find out who requested the ruling?
If I find out it was due to gemtech, no one I know will do any business with them.(not that that's too many people, but hey they're losing customers as it is...)
boulderchild
Silent But Deadly

Post by boulderchild »

If Gemtech is in fact the one behind this than I hope they are boycotted by the entire silencer purchasing community. To me this is about like them donating to the brady bunch :x
CanNotHear
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanNotHear »

Deleted**************************
Last edited by CanNotHear on Sat May 23, 2009 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

CanNotHear wrote:
boulderchild wrote:If Gemtech is in fact the one behind this than I hope they are boycotted by the entire silencer purchasing community. To me this is about like them donating to the brady bunch :x
People actually buy their products?
From what I've heard, their outback II is pretty good, and they do Mac cans.
boulderchild
Silent But Deadly

Post by boulderchild »

CanNotHear wrote:
boulderchild wrote:If Gemtech is in fact the one behind this than I hope they are boycotted by the entire silencer purchasing community. To me this is about like them donating to the brady bunch :x
People actually buy their products?
Hell if I know, because I never have. I do know that most of the dealers around here stock them so either they have some OLD stock sitting on the shelves or they are pushing them on somebody.
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

You have to love how Dater is trying to start the makings of a case for not having a welded suppressor over on Sugbuns.com. Hmmmm......who is the only major suppressor company that does not weld their cans (even if they say they do)?

Its always cheaper to get some rules made so that you do not have to upgrade your product line to keep up with the other companies.

You know this is the same s--t that happened when some dumb ass wrote ATF about Olympic replacing out of spec transferable M16 receivers with brand new ones. ATF asked Olympic to stop but they did not say it was illegal, and Olympic of course stopped to keep ATF off their backs. Ruger has also had the same issue now with AC556 replacement for blown up guns. So it appears that Gemtech has also given everyone an nice screwing in the suppressor community out of spite of AAC.
Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://weaponblueprints.com/