Suppressed Weapons for Home and Auto

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

penguin6

Suppressed Weapons for Home and Auto

Post by penguin6 »

It was suggested to me by a suppressor manufacturer that using a suppressed weapon in your home or auto for defensive purposes could cause legal problems, e.g., paint you as an evil ninja-type in court. Enclosed areas seem to be where they would be most useful, especially for someone like me who already has hearing damage. A rifle shot or possibly even a pistol shot indoors could cause further problems. Anyone have any experience or insight into this?
flip
Elite Member

Post by flip »

I think the consensus was that if you used a can to defend yourself in the home it would be prudent to remove said can and lock it in the safe before the cops got there. Legally you could be cleared but I don't think I would want to sit around in court for an extra week defending myself against an excessive use of force charge. My .02
penguin6

Post by penguin6 »

You said "consensus was." Has this already been discussed somewhere?
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

If you remove the silencer and lock it up and don't disclose the use of said silencer, you've just tampered with evidence. Doesn't matter if it was a clean shoot before that, you'll be crucified for tampering.
flip
Elite Member

Post by flip »

Yes, it has been discussed but unless you go through the old threads one by one you probably won't find it, the search function is not very specific.

Yes, it is tampering but if one guy is dead and you're the only one there, I would rather take my chance removing said device and letting them prove I used it than to intentionally throw myself under the bus.

Then there is the other issue of using a using an intergally supressed gun for home defense, in that situation you are pretty much screwed.
Last edited by flip on Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ctdonath
Silent But Deadly

Post by ctdonath »

Messing with crime-scene evidence for an otherwise good shoot is a galactically stupid idea. When (not if) found, far more questions get raised than need be.

There's nothing wrong with using a suppressor at home. There's nothing wrong with using suitable tools to preserve hearing.
flip
Elite Member

Post by flip »

I think it would be hard to prove you removed it and stored it after you shot. Although legal, it would depend on how a prosecutor would look at it and how long the can would be tied up in a store room for "evidence". I know the simple fact of having the papers and being legal but how many states have had presidents set protecting scum bags from excessive use of force. :roll:
If it was me, I would just use something not canned and worry about a little ringing later.
ctdonath
Silent But Deadly

Post by ctdonath »

You: have 10 seconds to decide what to do to alter your crime scene - and for no very good reason.
They: have months for a team of long-term professionals with unlimited funds to analyze what happened based on centuries of mutual experience.

What the hell is the point of hiding the suppressor? They'll figure it out, and you'll have a far harder time trying to explain why you fucked with a crime scene than saying "firing a rifle indoors is bad for my family's ears so I put a can on it".
protecting scum bags from excessive use of force.
It's a sound reducer, not a caliber reducer. Yeesh. There's no reduction in "force", only noise.
ctdonath
Silent But Deadly

Post by ctdonath »

I think it would be hard to prove you removed it and stored it after you shot.
Well, starting with the THREADED BARREL, they might just want to see the can ... and feel it's still warm, and still stinks. Here YOU are getting twitchy (remember, they are professional lie detectors) when they start asking about the can that's not there but obviously intended to be, you're plainly not telling 'em something, and now you're on their s--t list because it's abundantly clear you're not telling them something.

This in contrast with: the fact that you ARE a Class III owner who went through thorough background checks, left the crime scene as-is, and give them a matter-of-fact "well yeah I don't want to shoot an unsuppressed firearm indoors", there is nothing for them to get uptight about.

DON'T F--k WITH CRIME SCENES.
deth502

Post by deth502 »

ok, just a little semantic clarification here.

"crime scene"

if the shooting was justified, as the perpetrator was breaking into your home and you were in fear for your life and the lives of your loved ones, the scene, wouldnt be, imo a "crime scene" as much as an "incident scene".

unless you are considering the act of the perpetrator breaking in as the "crime"
ctdonath
Silent But Deadly

Post by ctdonath »

Homicide is a crime, with exceptions. Ergo, the "incident scene" starts out as a "crime scene" until demonstrated that an exception occurred.

To go a step farther: if there wasn't a crime underway, you had no business shooting the guy.
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

Carl's already hit the high points. Be aware of your local politcal situation and don't be stupid.
Telperion

Post by Telperion »

Here YOU are getting twitchy (remember, they are professional lie detectors) when they start asking about the can that's not there but obviously intended to be, you're plainly not telling 'em something, and now you're on their s--t list because it's abundantly clear you're not telling them something.
Point of order: you shouldn't be talking to them at all, until you've consulted counsel.
Broadway
Silent Operator

Post by Broadway »

Telperion wrote:
Here YOU are getting twitchy (remember, they are professional lie detectors) when they start asking about the can that's not there but obviously intended to be, you're plainly not telling 'em something, and now you're on their s--t list because it's abundantly clear you're not telling them something.
Point of order: you shouldn't be talking to them at all, until you've consulted counsel.
This is almost correct. First you need to express that you were in imminent fear for your Life and or that of a loved one. Two - You need to demand that the person who attacked you be arrested (even if he/she/them is lying stone cold dead). You are not a coroner and guilty people go to jail. Finally - you wish to speak to your attorney before making any further statements. Three short sweet sentences and no more. Now you shut your mouth and don't say another word until you have spoken to your attorney.

And for God's sake do not under any conditions tamper with the firearm or scene as has been suggested. A good shoot is just that, don't change it. Believe me if this happen to you the timetable on getting your NFA "Toy" back will be the least of your concerns.
ctdonath
Silent But Deadly

Post by ctdonath »

One more point: you promptly inform the cops of all evidence. That includes the gun you shot the guy with, AND the suppressor if used.

Cops are professional lie detectors. They'll know if you're trying to pull something. They know the difference between "I want my lawyer (so I don't say something stupid)" vs "I want my lawyer (because I'm trying to hide part of the weapon used)".
RictusGrin
Silent Operator

Post by RictusGrin »

ctdonath wrote:One more point: you promptly inform the cops of all evidence. That includes the gun you shot the guy with, AND the suppressor if used.

Cops are professional lie detectors. They'll know if you're trying to pull something. They know the difference between "I want my lawyer (so I don't say something stupid)" vs "I want my lawyer (because I'm trying to hide part of the weapon used)".
I wouldn't speak to the cops about anything. Also, I'm not concerned with their assumptions concerning my motivations. When a cop's "gut feeling lie detector" is going off, the last thing I want to do is give him information on the record that he can use to prove his feeling correct through some warped inductive logic, as opposed to using said information in a deductive fashion.

Nothing good can come from speaking to the cops, as even exculpatory information you divulge to them is not admissible in court since it is classified as hearsay. Also, anything you say is subject to the cop's memory of your statement, and we know how memory works. Or we should.

This requires you to invest some time, but this thread has links to some excellent video regarding the dangers of speaking to the police.
viewtopic.php?t=26056
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

[quote="700PSS"]If you’re near Atlanta, Ayoob recommends:
Drew Findling
http://www.findlinglawfirm.com/

Ayoob’s self-defense incident response:

1. “Officer, that man attacked me.â€
Broadway
Silent Operator

Post by Broadway »

RictusGrin wrote:
ctdonath wrote:One more point: you promptly inform the cops of all evidence. That includes the gun you shot the guy with, AND the suppressor if used.

I wouldn't speak to the cops about anything. Also, I'm not concerned with their assumptions concerning my motivations. When a cop's "gut feeling lie detector" is going off, the last thing I want to do is give him information on the record that he can use to prove his feeling correct through some warped inductive logic, as opposed to using said information in a deductive fashion.

Nothing good can come from speaking to the cops, as even exculpatory information you divulge to them is not admissible in court since it is classified as hearsay. Also, anything you say is subject to the cop's memory of your statement, and we know how memory works. Or we should.

This requires you to invest some time, but this thread has links to some excellent video regarding the dangers of speaking to the police.
viewtopic.php?t=26056

A case like this is going to a Grand Jury every single time. Your actions and what you say are vital. If you make yourself look guilty then expect to end up in a lengthy, expensive, life altering trial as opposed to it simply being dismissed of at a Grand Jury level. There are numerous experts with vast experience like that quoted above that advise exactly what to do. I don't claim to be an "expert". I do have several years supervisory investigative experience in this area though and have been through dozens of these types of investigations, so take that for what it's worth. No one is suggesting answering questions, but simply as stated, say exactly what was scripted and shut up. It's your call.
ottosear
Silent But Deadly

Post by ottosear »

If the can is mounted on the gun. And the gun is the first one in the safe. And it would take time to remove it. Your defense is ....I didn't have time to remove it. :wink:
THIS is MY safety!
st33ve0
Silent But Deadly

Post by st33ve0 »

My question is what happens if one of my family members uses one of my NFA weapons to defend themselves? Are they royally screwed because it was not their weapon and not their registered NFA item?
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

st33ve0 wrote:My question is what happens if one of my family members uses one of my NFA weapons to defend themselves? Are they royally screwed because it was not their weapon and not their registered NFA item?
Were you present when they defended themselves? If you're there with them, you can probably avoid problems on that front ("I just handed my wife the first gun I came to in the safe, officer").

If they use it and you're in another state at the time, you and them are gonna have some rough times.
st33ve0
Silent But Deadly

Post by st33ve0 »

Diomed wrote:
st33ve0 wrote:My question is what happens if one of my family members uses one of my NFA weapons to defend themselves? Are they royally screwed because it was not their weapon and not their registered NFA item?
Were you present when they defended themselves? If you're there with them, you can probably avoid problems on that front ("I just handed my wife the first gun I came to in the safe, officer").

If they use it and you're in another state at the time, you and them are gonna have some rough times.
That's kinda what I thought...
RictusGrin
Silent Operator

Post by RictusGrin »

st33ve0 wrote:
Diomed wrote:

That's kinda what I thought...
Keep in mind that someone who is ostensibly a lawyer has posted in this very forum that even allowing someone to fire your NFA weapon in your presence is a violation of the NFA. However, I still don't agree with the premise and that thread died suddenly.
Stu
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stu »

RictusGrin wrote:
Keep in mind that someone who is ostensibly a lawyer has posted in this very forum that even allowing someone to fire your NFA weapon in your presence is a violation of the NFA. However, I still don't agree with the premise and that thread died suddenly.
If that is true, then how would Machine gun shoots work?
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

Stu, this is the same old "constructive vs actual" possession arguement, again....
of course, if ACTUAL possession were required, there could never be a machine gun or silencer shoot, much less any demos....
Constructive possession (where you COULD exercise control over the firearm or silencer) is plenty good enough
Mr. Burns: This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
Smithers: You are noble and poetic in defeat, sir.