Non- Residents purchasing suppressor?

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Calistealth6

Non- Residents purchasing suppressor?

Post by Calistealth6 »

I have a couple of quick questions. I am a resident of California but I am stationed in North Carolina and own a couple of homes in NC.
1) Would the paperwork for a suppressor go through if I am a non-resident doyou have to be a resident of the state your are applying in? (Just like the state tax exemption i get for being active duty!)

2)The CLEO in the county I live in now will not sign off and from what I understand Living Trusts are ify here in NC. If I own a house in another county can I have that CLEO sign off and will it be legalto keep at my primary residence?

Sorry if these things have been covered before but Im currently overseas and the internet sucks. Thanks for the help!
jhs27275
Silent But Deadly

Post by jhs27275 »

I take it you don't plan on going back to California when you get out of the service. :D
fromotoc

Post by fromotoc »

IIRC if you are stationed and on active duty, you are considered a resident of the state you are stationed in. But take my 3rd hand knowledge FWIW...
jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Post by jreinke »

Do you ever plan to go back to Kali? If the answer is no, then change your residency to NC. Get a driver's license, register to vote, pay state income tax (if applicable) and presto chango, you're a NC resident. Then just maintain NC as your new home of record ever time you PCS. If I remember correctly, there is also a form(s) you'll have to fill out to update for finance and personnel records.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

As far as ATF is concerned you can be a resident of multiple states. See here: FAQ. There are some hoops you'd have to jump through.
FA Gunner
Silent Operator

Post by FA Gunner »

If your military and stationed in the state on PCS orders, then you can use your Mil ID and orders as proof of residency. If you are there on TDY orders then you cant use your Mil ID for gun/NFA purchases.