Military and owning a suppressor; pain in the rear?

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

shotdown
Silent Operator

Military and owning a suppressor; pain in the rear?

Post by shotdown »

How much of a pain is it to own a suppressor for those that are in the military?

Also, I'm AD Air Force stationed in NV. My driver's license is from CT. When I fill out the Form 4, do I use my current NV address?

Is there any laws military members should be aware of?
504ranger
Silent But Deadly

Post by 504ranger »

Not a pain at all besides the obvious ones that everyone else is experiencing. My DL was from GA and I was residing in MD so my Form 4 reflects my MD address. My FFL just kept a copy of my orders and made a copy of my military ID. Never heard of any military specific laws regarding NFA items? Unless you reside in the barracks you should have no obligation to tell anyone besides the ATF required.
My .2 cents.
GOVT1911

Post by GOVT1911 »

Different posts will have different regs regarding NFA stuff, but FYI Ft Bragg has a post policy that forbids possession of NFA items on post, regardless if they're federally legal or not.

Now, before any of ya'll get up in arms about this and think I'm talking out my fourth point of contact, I'm an MP stationed at Bragg and have over 12 yrs stationed there. Beleive me, I've researched it to death......NO NFA on post, whether it's storing it in on-post quarters or shooting on the Personal Weapons Range.

Now, that being said.......I've NEVER seen anyone charged with a violation as long as they had their Form 4 and everything else was on the up and up.
I don't make foreign policy, I just enforce the last 300 meters of it.
504ranger
Silent But Deadly

Post by 504ranger »

Great point 1911. Definitely check the post regs where you are. I aw the PM 190 reg you were refering to and its pretty cut and dry. Sad thing is that has probably been in there forever ago and no one has ever asked them to change it. Not too many Soldiers with NFA items although they are getting more popular. Might be worth it since you are deplyed at Bagram with the leadership to bring i up and mayeb you could get lucky and have them change it. You never know stranger things ave happened :lol:
FA Gunner
Silent Operator

Post by FA Gunner »

I went the trust route and always make sure I deal with dealers who are comfortable using my orders and Mil ID card as proof of residency. Just make sure you are familiar with the post regs, each one is different. Campbell we could have them as long as they were legal (duh) and we had our tax stamp. Also we had to register them with the PMO, the same as our regular guns.

Also with a trust, I have my dad listed so I can leave my stuff with him if I am stationed in a state where I cant have them.