Handgun and class 3 sales

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Buzduk
Silent But Deadly

Handgun and class 3 sales

Post by Buzduk »

Just curious. If I am a dealer in KY can I sell a pistol or class 3 items to a customer in TN?
Matt
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201
http://form4.org/
Plunky
Silent But Deadly

Post by Plunky »

You can sell pistols to anyone out of state, but it must be shipped to a FFL local to them (in their state). You can sell rifles/shotguns over the counter as long as you observe your local laws and those of the state of the individual buying the weapon. For NFA items if you have SOT, you must ship to a SOT local to the purchaser (in their state).

This is not legal advise, check you local laws (I am not a dealer, and the above is the best I can recall).
DRAGON

Post by DRAGON »

Are you a FFL ? or are you a FFL / SOT ? this would help with the answer.
Buzduk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Buzduk »

DRAGON wrote:Are you a FFL ? or are you a FFL / SOT ? this would help with the answer.
thinking of getting my FFL/SOT and just want to know what limitations on customer base I might have.
Matt
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201
http://form4.org/
DRAGON

Post by DRAGON »

Ok, If you are a FFL only then you may transfer a Title I firearm ( regular rifle, pistol or shotgun etc. ) to a client in another state by transferring it to his home state FFL. If you are a FFL only you may transfer a Title II firearm ( Machineguns, suppressors, short barreled rifles and shotguns etc. ) to a client in another state by transferring it on a tax paid Form 4 to his home state FFL/SOT, then it would transfer from his home state FFL/SOT to your client on a tax paid form 4.
If you are a FFL/SOT you use the same procedure for Title I firearms. For Title II firearms you would transfer to your clients FFL/SOT using a no tax paid Form 3, then his home state FFL/SOT would transfer to your client on a tax paid Form 4. Get a copy of the Machine Gun Dealers Bible by DAN SHEA it has good information for the beginning FFL/SOT.
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

And then there are exceptions, like if the firearm is a C&R and the person has a collector's license.
FA Gunner
Silent Operator

Post by FA Gunner »

Also, if you are military and assigned to Fort Campbell, you can use your orders assigning you to Campbell which is Headquarters in KY, even if you live in TN. I've bought pistols and suppressors from dealers in KY with my military ID and orders while I was stationed there.