Moving to N VA. Looking for intel on Anti-Class 3 Sheriff's

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

rumlover
Silent Operator

Moving to N VA. Looking for intel on Anti-Class 3 Sheriff's

Post by rumlover »

Gents,

Headed to the pentagon this summer and looking for a house. I have a wishlist of class 3 I want to pick up over the next few years. I'm looking for intel on sheriffs that won't sign form 4's or hassle trust members at the range.

Thanks!
Rumlover
Fallschirmjaager
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fallschirmjaager »

Not a VA resident so I can't give you any firsthand help, but I believe Blue Ridge Arsenal is a C3 dealer in NOVA, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.blueridgearsenal.com/
I live in the weak and the wounded... Doc...
Bulwyeth
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bulwyeth »

I live in NOVA. I went the trust route however. Fairfax from what I understand takes about 3-4 weeks for CLEO sign off. I haven't heard anything bad about Prince William or Louden. Arlington???

Class 3 shops

I've been to Blue Ridge a couples of times but they weren't a C3 dealer then. I stopped going 4 years ago because their customer service sucked dog balls.

http://www.virginiaarms.com/Virginia Arms (Manassas) Good customer service, responsive, new to the C3 world. Only items are suppressors. YHM, Gemtech. He will order. Bernie is the owner. He will not give you a break no matter how much you spend or how loyal a customer you are in my experience.

http://www.guns-ammo.usGuns & Ammo Warehouse (Manassas) Customer service? What's that? Items are suppressors, (Gemtech, AAC, Surefire, AWC) and SBSs, SBRs. He will order. Dave is the owner. Not know for his dynamic or friendly outgoing personality. $5 under MSRP is his idea of a deal...
Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post.

Stewie Griffin

SWR Spectre
SWR Trident
SWR HEMS-2
Yankee Hill Phantom 5.56 SS
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

IIRC Arlington or Alexandria want to do a site inspection of your home and safe setup.

There are a few other dealers up there, but none are discount minded. Everything costs more up there.

Be aware that there are state level restrictions on machineguns (light) and certain shotguns (heavy).
rumlover
Silent Operator

Post by rumlover »

thanks fellas, just out of curiosity, how bad is the traffic into Arlington? I've found some great deals out around Leesburg with plenty of room to breath. I'm just curious if the 35 mile drive is going to be a 2 hr commute every morning. Wonder if they'd let me tie up my boat outside the pentagon? That would be a fun commute.

Looks like the Quantico range is good to go. Any others you can recommend?
Rumlover
aquajon
Silent But Deadly

Post by aquajon »

When I lived in Prince William county the sheriff would only sign for 2 items at a time. This was in 2005, so things might be different now.
This is your best bet for weekend shooting, or the indoor pistol range on base is sometimes open for lunch. The is a waiting list to join the club if your non military. Don't know if your pentagon job is .mil or government employee. Club rates were less than $100/year if I remember correctly, less then $50/year of military and you can shoot for free if your a club member. There was another indoor range in woodbridge I liked but I forget the name.
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

rumlover wrote:thanks fellas, just out of curiosity, how bad is the traffic into Arlington? I've found some great deals out around Leesburg with plenty of room to breath. I'm just curious if the 35 mile drive is going to be a 2 hr commute every morning.
Probably. Traffic is epically bad. Maybe not quite as bad as it would be if you were going into DC, but it'll still eat up three or four hours of your day.
NRA range is very good. Gets crowded though.
aquajon wrote:There was another indoor range in woodbridge I liked but I forget the name.
Shooter's? They burned down. Don't use tracers indoors kids!
rumlover
Silent Operator

Post by rumlover »

thanks for the intel, cheers
Rumlover
Bulwyeth
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bulwyeth »

rumlover wrote:thanks fellas, just out of curiosity, how bad is the traffic into Arlington? I've found some great deals out around Leesburg with plenty of room to breath. I'm just curious if the 35 mile drive is going to be a 2 hr commute every morning. Wonder if they'd let me tie up my boat outside the pentagon? That would be a fun commute.

Loudon county (Leesburg) is beautiful. Problem is taxes used to be on the top ten highest in the country list. Don't know if that is still true, but more than likely it is. The other problem is just as you guessed, traffic sucks. You only have one route down to Arlington really and that is Route 7 which is full of lights and traffic.
Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post.

Stewie Griffin

SWR Spectre
SWR Trident
SWR HEMS-2
Yankee Hill Phantom 5.56 SS
jaitken

Post by jaitken »

rumlover wrote:I've found some great deals out around Leesburg with plenty of room to breath. I'm just curious if the 35 mile drive is going to be a 2 hr commute every morning.
I've lived in NoVA most of my life and have been in Leesburg for the last several years. My dad has commuted to the pentagon from the Centreville area for the last couple decades so I'm familiar with that aspect of it as well. Feel free to PM me if you want any more info.

As to your CLEO question, Fairfax Co. sheriff will sign, not sure about turnaround time. I have heard, but don't know from personal experience, that Sheriff Simpson in Loudoun is willing to sign and is generally reasonable about it ("what toys are you buying this time?"). Don't know about Prince William, Fauquier, etc.

As for ranges, NRA is nice but pricey and very busy on weekends. You've also got Silver Eagle (http://www.silvereaglegroup.com/index.php) in Ashburn; supposed to be nice but also a little pricey. I used to be a member at BRA in Chantilly but wasn't real happy with their ventilation. I've heard that they improved it, but now that I live 30 miles away and can shoot off my deck I haven't been back in quite awhile.

As for C3 dealers, your best bet is to check out The Nation's Gun Show, which happens every couple months at the Dulles Expo Center. More info here: http://thenationsgunshow.com/. There are a number of C3 dealers there, some local to NoVA, some based elsewhere in the state. It's pretty busy, especially in the afternoons, but it's a good chance to talk to the folks and see who has what you want, how reasonable they seem, etc.
Casper
Silent But Deadly

Post by Casper »

Glad to have a fellow NFA enthusiast moving to the area. I can tell you that you really want to avoid Arlington and Alexandria if you are looking to do NFA, they are really a pain. Having lived in both counties I can tell you that it is really a nonstarter if you want to go the individual route. I moved to Falls Church in Fairfax county and it is significantly easier to get CLEO sign off. I've now dealt with both Alexandria and Fairfax both getting and renewing my CCW and I can tell you that the Fairfax experience was worlds better then dealing in Alexandria.

As for dealers, I found a dealer that is reasonable and very helpful. He isn't the cheapest, but he certainly isn't the most expensive either. All said and done I have done 2 transfers through him and know others that have as well, and all have walked away pleased.

Also, if you are looking to commute to the Pentagon, Falls Church would put you about 6 miles from there, which translates roughly into a 20 to 40 min. commute.
Robb Jensen
Silent Operator

Re:

Post by Robb Jensen »

Bulwyeth wrote:
Class 3 shops

I've been to Blue Ridge a couples of times but they weren't a C3 dealer then. I stopped going 4 years ago because their customer service sucked dog balls.

http://www.virginiaarms.com/Virginia Arms (Manassas) Good customer service, responsive, new to the C3 world. Only items are suppressors. YHM, Gemtech. He will order. Bernie is the owner. He will not give you a break no matter how much you spend or how loyal a customer you are in my experience.
We're currently carrying GemTech, AAC, YHM, Surefire and Tactical Solutions. We stock factory SBRs from BCM, Daniel Defense, LMT, LWRC and Arsenal. We don't do Title 2 transfers currently (don't have the storage room). We will have some Title 2 machineguns on consignment very very soon.
Stay Safe,
Robb
armorer for Virginia Arms Co FFL/SOT
certified armorer for HK-Sidearms/S&W-M&P/US Training Ctr AR15-M16/US Training Ctr 1911/O.F. Mossberg/SIG-Sauer LE/FNH-SCAR/Glock Advanced Armorer
2manygunz
Silent But Deadly

Re: Moving to N VA. Looking for intel on Anti-Class 3 Sherif

Post by 2manygunz »

People's Republic of Arlington is not NFA friendly. Or citizen friendly for that matter. It was given back to VA from DC, but never left behind the virus. Kinda like a Zombie bite. Avoid.

Plenty of places to live in Fairfax. That's where you should look. Pentagon is on the Metro, so you should probably look along the Orange Line to have that option. I don't know the specific CLEO sign-offs as I am trust, however I have heard the word "reasonable" in the same sentence as "sign-off" before wrt/ Fairfax County.

IMHO, the best public place to shoot is NRA range. Best private is Fairfax Rod and Gun Club.

Good luck on your move!
Robb Jensen
Silent Operator

Post by Robb Jensen »

As far as I know so far Arlington, Alexandria and Page Counties will not sign.
certified armorer for HK-Sidearms/S&W-M&P/US Training Ctr AR15-M16/US Training Ctr 1911/O.F. Mossberg/SIG-Sauer LE/FNH-SCAR/Glock Advanced Armorer
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

when I used to live in the Charlottesville area, I'd go into NOVA and the surroundings a lot for work... never did like going up there, but I know a lot of people who love it. I wish you luck!

I would form a Trust.... but that's me. The less "they" know, the better. They know a lot though, so it really doesn't matter. Well, they do, but some of them don't. :lol:
https://pewscience.com
PEW Science
Professionally Engineered Weaponeering
Abacab
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abacab »

gotm4 wrote:As far as I know so far Arlington, Alexandria and Page Counties will not sign.
Is there no recourse through a court if you live in said counties?
Edward
wyoguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by wyoguy »

The less "they" know, the better. They know a lot though, so it really doesn't matter. Well, they do, but some of them don't. :lol:
So...They Do Know... But They Don't Know They Know !?

And We Are Better Off Them Knowing Less, Not More!?

Just Be Grateful We Are Not Getting All The Government We Are Paying For !!!

:lol:

Wyoguy
85% of all statistics are made up...and the other 30% are wrong!
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

Abacab wrote:Is there no recourse through a court if you live in said counties?
You can try a Commonwealth's Attorney or a judge, but I suspect that unless you're friendly with them you're wasting your time.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried getting a signoff through the Attorney General's office. He said he'd be willing to do it while campaigning...
700PSS
Elite Member

Re:

Post by 700PSS »

Diomed wrote:NRA range is very good. Gets crowded though.
I wonder if the NRA is NFA friendly, at all. I doubt with MGs, but how about silencers/SBRs?

Also, this is where that “contestant” from “Top Shot”, Adam Benson goes frequently.

I hope the place is large enough for his ego.
Abacab
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abacab »

Anyone know why those counties won't sign?

I am particularly surprised Page County won't; it's not like it's an extension of DC. What gives?
Edward
2manygunz
Silent But Deadly

Re: Re:

Post by 2manygunz »

700PSS wrote:
Diomed wrote:NRA range is very good. Gets crowded though.
I wonder if the NRA is NFA friendly, at all. I doubt with MGs, but how about silencers/SBRs?
Shot my first suppressor ever at that range. They are suppressor friendly. Helk, why wouldn't they be? That place is LOUD. (Muffs and plugs mandatory as far as I am concerned.) As to SBRs, seems to me I've seen a few. Never seen a machine gun in there, so can't comment on that.
Robb Jensen
Silent Operator

Post by Robb Jensen »

Silencers and SBRs are fine at NRA. You can make an after hour appointment to shoot fullautos there. They move you down range closer to the backstop.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

gotm4 wrote:Silencers and SBRs are fine at NRA. You can make an after hour appointment to shoot fullautos there. They move you down range closer to the backstop.
That's freakin' awesome! I'm glad they accommodate even MGs. Only in the last year have we in GA been able to use silencers at DNR ranges. :roll: They finally saw the wisdom. Yesterday however, I found that they are still listed on the DNR website as still being prohibited, so I kindly made a call to DNR to get that corrected.

I have taken my silencers to DNR ranges and I plan to take my soon to be SBR there too, with the silencer already attached. I figure it will look longer that way. Most of those guys don't know what they’re looking at anyway. The one who questioned me last time only knew I should have "some kind of paperwork." He didn't know what a Form 4 was and had never seen one before. :lol:
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

gotm4 wrote:You can make an after hour appointment to shoot fullautos there. They move you down range closer to the backstop.
Very few people have been allowed to do that. They're pretty non-responsive to those requests.

But they are indeed fine with other NFA stuff. I've heard of people having issues with AOW shotguns, but they were being stupid with them. I've shot mine there with no problems.

I did watch a guy shooting a subgun for a while. Took the RO about ten minutes to tell him to cool it.
bu bu ba pssh

Post by bu bu ba pssh »

Page county would sign off as of januaryish

idk why they still wouldn't its the same sherif...