Form 4 submission and trust questions

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Rook6

Form 4 submission and trust questions

Post by Rook6 »

Firstly I apologize if this has been covered but I havent been able to find specific answers to my inquiry by use of the search button. Anyway, I am looking to own my first NFA item and will be going the way of a trust. I have a fully written trust document that was made up by two attorneys for a friend that I have changed around to fit my needs. My question is what do I need to do in order to successfully submit this paperwork along with a completed form 4 to the ATF?

I live in the state of Florida and to my knowlege FL does not require that a trust be registered. However, I am wary of just sending a notorized copy of my trust paperwork in with the form 4 and the check for $200. If anyone could be of any help I would greatly appreciate it. This suppressor has been sitting in the shop for months and I would really like to do some shooting. Thanks.
jt526
Silent But Deadly

Re: Form 4 submission and trust questions

Post by jt526 »

Rook6 wrote:Firstly I apologize if this has been covered but I havent been able to find specific answers to my inquiry by use of the search button. Anyway, I am looking to own my first NFA item and will be going the way of a trust. I have a fully written trust document that was made up by two attorneys for a friend that I have changed around to fit my needs. My question is what do I need to do in order to successfully submit this paperwork along with a completed form 4 to the ATF?

I live in the state of Florida and to my knowlege FL does not require that a trust be registered. However, I am wary of just sending a notorized copy of my trust paperwork in with the form 4 and the check for $200. If anyone could be of any help I would greatly appreciate it. This suppressor has been sitting in the shop for months and I would really like to do some shooting. Thanks.

FL you do not need to register it (former FL person), you do not need a notarized copy of the trust either to send. ANy photocopy will do.

If you are wary of sending that stuff, then you aren't going to get real far, that's pretty much the only way to get an NFA item. I doubt you could even hand deliver it.

Some people debate on certificate of trust vs. the entire trust, I go with the full thing, witness statement, all of it, and I've never had an issue.

Checklist:
2 x Form 4s
Copy of Trust to include Certificate of Trust and Schedule A(B/C/Whatever)
Check or MO for $200 (check tells you when it was cashed, a good thing to make sure it got there, and you can begin counting)
Addressed to Atlanta
Check signatures
Drop in mail and record the date you sent it out at nfatracker.org and fill in data appropriately to help everyone out.

Also, just search for "Schedule" or certificate of compliance and you'll find enough posts on it
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=59186&p=579645&hili ... le#p579645
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57791&hilit=certifi ... compliance
Stupid, stupid NFA items.
Rook6

Post by Rook6 »

Thank you very much for your quick reply. Ill have this paperwork sent out tomorrow so that I can start the countdown. From everything Ive heard it takes at least 90 days.

In any case, what I was meaning to say was that I was wary of sending out the paperwork without being exactly sure that it was complete and in compliance but you have cleared up my questions. Many thanks.
jt526
Silent But Deadly

Post by jt526 »

Rook6 wrote:Thank you very much for your quick reply. Ill have this paperwork sent out tomorrow so that I can start the countdown. From everything Ive heard it takes at least 90 days.

In any case, what I was meaning to say was that I was wary of sending out the paperwork without being exactly sure that it was complete and in compliance but you have cleared up my questions. Many thanks.

Don't forget this form, you fill it with the name of the trust in line 1, and the rest of it with your info:

ATF F 5330.20 — Certification of Compliance with 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B)
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5330-20.pdf

Good luck with your NFA toys, suppressors are good times.
Stupid, stupid NFA items.
combat45acp
Senior Silent Operator

Post by combat45acp »

jt526 wrote:
Rook6 wrote:Firstly I apologize if this has been covered but I havent been able to find specific answers to my inquiry by use of the search button. Anyway, I am looking to own my first NFA item and will be going the way of a trust. I have a fully written trust document that was made up by two attorneys for a friend that I have changed around to fit my needs. My question is what do I need to do in order to successfully submit this paperwork along with a completed form 4 to the ATF?

FL you do not need to register it (former FL person), you do not need a notarized copy of the trust either to send. ANy photocopy will do.

If you are wary of sending that stuff, then you aren't going to get real far, that's pretty much the only way to get an NFA item. I doubt you could even hand deliver it.

Some people debate on certificate of trust vs. the entire trust, I go with the full thing, witness statement, all of it, and I've never had an issue.

Checklist:
2 x Form 4s
Copy of Trust to include Certificate of Trust and Schedule A(B/C/Whatever)
Check or MO for $200 (check tells you when it was cashed, a good thing to make sure it got there, and you can begin counting)
Addressed to Atlanta
Check signatures
Drop in mail and record the date you sent it out at nfatracker.org and fill in data appropriately to help everyone out.

Also, just search for "Schedule" or certificate of compliance and you'll find enough posts on it
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=59186&p=579645&hili ... le#p579645
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57791&hilit=certifi ... compliance
I was told it did have to notarized, Hmm that's good to know!
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

Your original trust needs to be notarized to be valid, the copy you send in with your Form 4 does not need to be notarized.
Hope this helps.
GWL

Re: Certification of Compliance and trust questions

Post by GWL »

I have searched and have read some conflicting info on the Certification of Compliance when being submitted with a Trust. My dealer is not answering his email so I thought I would ask here. When filling out the Certification, I know that the name of the Trust goes on Line 1. But do I also fill in Line 2 and sign at the bottom? Or do I leave those lines blank and not sign because it is a Trust?. I do not want to do anything that will extend this process even longer. Thanks.
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

GWL wrote:I have searched and have read some conflicting info on the Certification of Compliance when being submitted with a Trust. My dealer is not answering his email so I thought I would ask here. When filling out the Certification, I know that the name of the Trust goes on Line 1. But do I also fill in Line 2 and sign at the bottom? Or do I leave those lines blank and not sign because it is a Trust?. I do not want to do anything that will extend this process even longer. Thanks.
for my form 1 I filled out line 2 and singed as the grantor and it was approved just fine.
GWL

Post by GWL »

yamatitan wrote:
GWL wrote:I have searched and have read some conflicting info on the Certification of Compliance when being submitted with a Trust. My dealer is not answering his email so I thought I would ask here. When filling out the Certification, I know that the name of the Trust goes on Line 1. But do I also fill in Line 2 and sign at the bottom? Or do I leave those lines blank and not sign because it is a Trust?. I do not want to do anything that will extend this process even longer. Thanks.
for my form 1 I filled out line 2 and singed as the grantor and it was approved just fine.
This is my first submission and I am not sure what a form 1 is. :oops: I am submitting Form 4s, Trust, Certification of Compliance and an Assignment Page. Do I understand you that I should fill in Line 2 and sign the Certification of Compliance?
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

GWL wrote:
yamatitan wrote:
This is my first submission and I am not sure what a form 1 is. :oops: I am submitting Form 4s, Trust, Certification of Compliance and an Assignment Page. Do I understand you that I should fill in Line 2 and sign the Certification of Compliance?

form 1 is to make and register a firearm, form 4 is to transfer and register a firearm. So basically the only difference is that one your making yourself and the other is already made and your transferring it. But yes either way the certification of compliance is filled out for both. I filled out line 2 and it was approved fine. So yes I would say you should do that, but im really not sure what the proper way is. Just saying thats what worked for me and is what I would recommend. For all I know they may approve it either way.
GWL

Post by GWL »

[quote="yamatitan} my form 1 I filled out line 2 and singed as the grantor and it was approved just fine.[/quote]

Thank you for the information,
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Yes, line 1 is the Trust name. Line 2 Your name Grantor and/or Trustee. you sign the bottom.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Is a 5330.20 required for each member of the Trust?

Am about ready to make my first Form 4 application via Trust.

Thanks!
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

eastern_hunter wrote:Is a 5330.20 required for each member of the Trust?

Am about ready to make my first Form 4 application via Trust.

Thanks!
No I just put me on it as the grantor.