murder at my local gun range, gun and silencer stolen update

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

bikefreek
Silent But Deadly

murder at my local gun range, gun and silencer stolen update

Post by bikefreek »

Great i guess i wont be going to my local range anytime soon...
http://www.cumberlink.com/news/local/cr ... 03286.html

They caught em... http://www.cumberlink.com/news/local/cr ... 002e0.html
Last edited by bikefreek on Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: murder at my local gun range, gun and silencer stolen

Post by doubloon »

Oi ... the lines would be clogged 24/7 around here.
Believed to be a custom built AR-15 type semi-automatic rifle
“If they see anything of this nature, we are asking they call and let us know.”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
GoJohnnyGo
Silent But Deadly

Post by GoJohnnyGo »

Man, that's terrible.
hesh
Senior Silent Operator

Post by hesh »

Obviously the gun and the silencer conspired to kill him in concert, because that's what guns and silencers do... they kill people.
I am an Organizer.
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

Reading that article made my head hurt. Did the author have a lobotomy or something?
"I'm not afraid of dying. I's HOW I die that I'm concerned about." - Crosshair

"Beware the man with one gun. He probably doesn't know how to use it."
MCFLURY
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MCFLURY »

maybe i read the article wrong but i dont think the silencer was stolen
D9M9TR9S
Silent But Deadly

Post by D9M9TR9S »

This is horrible, they don't have any range officers? Hope they catch the person that did this
wyoguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by wyoguy »

MCFLURY wrote:maybe i read the article wrong but i dont think the silencer was stolen
I agree that the article can certainly be read that way...it is saying that the only reason they knew so much about the RIFLE...was that he had applied to purchase a Suppressor !?

So, the question arises...in Pennsylvania...would He have had to Specify what Gun He intended to use the Suppressor ON?

:?:

I Hope They Catch the A-hole Soon...and I Will Bet He is Not A Legal/Legitmate/Law-Abiding Gun Owner!

:evil:

Wyoguy
85% of all statistics are made up...and the other 30% are wrong!
bikefreek
Silent But Deadly

Post by bikefreek »

wyoguy wrote:
MCFLURY wrote:maybe i read the article wrong but i dont think the silencer was stolen
I agree that the article can certainly be read that way...it is saying that the only reason they knew so much about the RIFLE...was that he had applied to purchase a Suppressor !?

So, the question arises...in Pennsylvania...would He have had to Specify what Gun He intended to use the Suppressor ON?

:?:

I Hope They Catch the A-hole Soon...and I Will Bet He is Not A Legal/Legitmate/Law-Abiding Gun Owner!

:evil:

Wyoguy
well the rifle and can are missing so... a pretty safe assumption would be that the killer took them.

apparently he knows the DA and that is who signed his form 4 so maybe specifics of the gun were brought up then...
bikefreek
Silent But Deadly

Post by bikefreek »

D9M9TR9S wrote:This is horrible, they don't have any range officers? Hope they catch the person that did this
correct our public shooting ranges on state game lands are only partially supervised by patrolling game wardens.... its usually not a problem...
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

I made a nice neat little summary of the case and emailed it to everyone I know that shoots. PM me an email address if you want it to forward to your friends that don't frequent boards like this.
-----
Ick
wyoguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by wyoguy »

well the rifle and can are missing so... a pretty safe assumption would be that the killer took them.

apparently he knows the DA and that is who signed his form 4 so maybe specifics of the gun were brought up then...
You May Be Right!
I Re-Read the Side-Bar On the Left of the Article...
The Police At Least Implied That He Likely Was Using His Complete Set-Up Including the Suppressor...
But It Is Kind of Interesting How Specific the Info Was They Released!?(Lewis Defender 2000 Lower, 30 HRT Upper, Yankee Hill Phantom .308 Suppressor...)I Wonder if that was all from the Victim's shooting 'notes found at the scene'?

BTW...Did Everybody Catch the 'Throw-Away Line' at the Bottom of the Article!?

The D.A., obviously responding to a question from the Writer, Said:
"...he personally looked over the application and, having known and worked with Getgen professionally on cases in the past, did not believe there was anything suspicious about the request for a silencer."

HUH !?!?

Wyoguy
85% of all statistics are made up...and the other 30% are wrong!
bikefreek
Silent But Deadly

Post by bikefreek »

wyoguy wrote:

You May Be Right!
I Re-Read the Side-Bar On the Left of the Article...
The Police At Least Implied That He Likely Was Using His Complete Set-Up Including the Suppressor...
But It Is Kind of Interesting How Specific the Info Was They Released!?(Lewis Defender 2000 Lower, 30 HRT Upper, Yankee Hill Phantom .308 Suppressor...)I Wonder if that was all from the Victim's shooting 'notes found at the scene'?

BTW...Did Everybody Catch the 'Throw-Away Line' at the Bottom of the Article!?

The D.A., obviously responding to a question from the Writer, Said:
"...he personally looked over the application and, having known and worked with Getgen professionally on cases in the past, did not believe there was anything suspicious about the request for a silencer."

HUH !?!?

Wyoguy
well if the guy was an avid shooter as it would seem he prolly kept records of his firearms in case of theft... i would imagine the cops have since had access to said records. I applaud the fuzz for describing the firearm in detail that way if the perp trys to sell it, or shows it to anyone it increases the odds of them nabbing him.
arrowshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by arrowshot »

A real good reason to always have a backup holstered and handy even though it sounds like he might have been shot at a distance. I always want company when shooting although then it becomes an issue of watching your equipment on the line. Kind of wondered when something like this might happen and the perps have to becoming a lot more bold to go after weapons at a shooting range. Always tend to check out the line when I drive up and new arrivals also. Individuals cruising by that don't look like they belong always get a second look. Really sorry for the individual and hope they catch the creep that did this.
“The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.” Thomas Jefferson
"Sic semper tyrannis"
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Pass this on fellas. I only posted this in one other forum. I did get it through to some police, correciton officer, and other email chains....
-----
Ick
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

that's horrible.

if he was shot from a distance.... how was the shooter able to get back there, and take the gun? was the range not populated at all?
https://pewscience.com
PEW Science
Professionally Engineered Weaponeering
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

TOOL1075 wrote:how was the shooter able to get back there, and take the gun? was the range not populated at all?
It was an empty range in a lightly populated area (and even so, it's a shooting range - a shots fired call would rightly elicit a GTFO response from the cops).
tomz34
Elite Member

Post by tomz34 »

Diomed wrote:
TOOL1075 wrote:how was the shooter able to get back there, and take the gun? was the range not populated at all?
It was an empty range in a lightly populated area (and even so, it's a shooting range - a shots fired call would rightly elicit a GTFO response from the cops).
I could easily see how this could happen. The state game range I frequent here in Pa. from time to time is remote. Located in the middle of nowwhere. You have to drive about 1 mile thru the woods on a dirt road off a remote state route to access it. There are no homes or other buildings around for miles. Range is open from sun-up to sun-down. Patroled sporadically, at best, by state game wardens. These ranges are open to the public, sometimes they are very crowded, sometimes you have the place to yourself. All depends on range, location, time of day,time of year, etc. I have shot at a state range near me on and off for 20 plus years. I always only bring one gun at a time out of my truck when I shoot and leave my vehicle locked with the others at all times. When I go down range to check or replace targets I bring the gun I'm shooting at the time with me. I always have a loaded pistol on my hip or in a shoulder rig, etc. This murder is extremely disturbing. I have been planning on purchasing some land to set up a private range for NFA toys, etc. for some time. Making it a priority now. I hope they catch the bastard responsible for this. I plan to forward this story along to everyone I can.
Knowledge is Power... Sharing Knowledge is Freedom.
2manygunz
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2manygunz »

Absolutely disturbing. It's like the grown up version of kids in the city getting killed for their basketball shoes.
crang11
Silent Operator

Post by crang11 »

I lived in uptown New Orleans during and after Katrina. Guns were stole at gunpoint from those pretending to be the law. I was told the worst were Blackwater but never confirmed it. I never saw it but knew people I trust that it happened to. All my run ins were with NOPD and the National Guard and I didn't have a problem. It happens.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v112/crang11/?action=view&current=ridecowboy.gif
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

This murder/gun theft thing is probably more common than we think. This was done in the Everglades area by the two guys involved in the armored car robberies in Miami that culminated in the now famous FBI shootout.

I do not go to an outdoor public range alone. I always have someone stay and watch my gear at all times. I always carry another gun on me, but I realize that would only help in close up, personal encounters. Even when I go to private property for hunting and target shooting, I never assume that I'm the only one around.

On more than one occasion, I've encountered people who were trespassing. Once, I was shooting my PTR-91 and two guys climbed over the locked gate and came down to where I was shooting to bitch about the noise in this very remote area. I couldn't convince them to come closer though. :lol: I immediately decided my next acquisition was going to be my AAC 762-SD. Now, they can lick my gooch, even if they can ever hear or find me. :lol:
saltydecimator
Silent But Deadly

Re: murder at my local gun range, gun and silencer stolen up

Post by saltydecimator »

i purchased a can while i was livin in pa, no special other forms were required. i went the individual route. and i can attest to the shadiness of the state game lands, everyone knew dumb s--t went on at those (SGL). i went in erie pa, but i as others have suggested, went with friends, kept a pistol on my hip or concealed, and was generally suspicious of people. in the end, i ended up joinin a gun range that was closer, less people and the police used it as well. really nice place. as far as the article goes, yes, the author was totally clueless. what it seems like to me is they killed him for his hardware. now maybe the press couldnt say it like that cuz it was part of hte investigation. anyways, be safe everyone out there!
its quiet time!
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

Suspects in custody.

Thumbnail: they're prison guards, and appear to have stolen guns from that range before.
kalikraven
Elite Member

Post by kalikraven »

If they are L/E then they should be held to a higher standard and have the charges elevated to a higher degree. I know that that is most likely not the case but I beleave that it should be like here in Fl, when you commit battery on a senior it is a elevated charge, well I think that if a L/E officer commits a crime it should be an elevated charge. These people were in a position of trust due to thier job.

Before you'all say I'm cop bashing let me remind you that I too am a LEO as a corrections deputy.
Going a little more discrete here due to some of my opinions...
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Diomed, thanks for the followup. I figrued that the story wouldn't have an ending.... or at least one I would never read in the news.

So sad. Personally I am now adjusting my range time strategy to mitigate the impact of such a criminal.
-----
Ick