SBR and pistol barrels

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

rockman96
Silent But Deadly

SBR and pistol barrels

Post by rockman96 »

Model1sales lists barrel assemblies under both 'Pistol', and 'Commando' categories. There are disclaimers/warnings in each category to not use the barrel on a receiver for which it is not intended. For example in the pistol barrel section, it warns that the barrels must not be used on a registered rifle receiver, and vice versa. WTF? I thought a short barrel was a short barrel and could be legally used on whatever the F--k you wanted to use it on as long as NFA rules were followed. Insight anyone?
Armorer-at-Law
Silent But Deadly

Re: SBR and pistol barrels

Post by Armorer-at-Law »

It is the receiver that is NFA registered as an SBR, not the barrel. Barrels can be sold without any federal restrictions at all. If you assemble a short barrel on an unregistered rifle receiver, you have manufactured a SBR.
Send lawyers, guns, and money...
Armorer-at-Law.com
07FFL/02SOT
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

That's what I thought. So why is M1Sales specifically categorizing them and posting warnings not to cross them...is it .just a chickenshit way to try to cover their asses?
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

"NFA Rules Apply" is a common disclosure term displayed alongside such items listed.
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

There's a little bit more there than "NFA rules apply"......again I ask, WTF?

700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Maybe they're just trying to help people stay out of trouble.
kbs2244
Silent But Deadly

Post by kbs2244 »

As explained,
Any given SN is what the manufacture says it is at time of manufacture.

If they say it is a pistol, then it is a pistol.
No matter the barrel length.
That is why Taurus can sell the judge.
Even though it will soot 410 shot gun ammo it is not a sawed off shot gun.
It is a pistol because they said it is.
Armorer-at-Law
Silent But Deadly

Post by Armorer-at-Law »

Even though it will shoot 410 shot gun ammo it is not a sawed off shot gun.
And because the barrel has at least minimal rifling.
Send lawyers, guns, and money...
Armorer-at-Law.com
07FFL/02SOT
DCloudy777
Silent But Deadly

Post by DCloudy777 »

It just looks like hastily-written disclaimer speak, probably thrown in by someone in the marketing department. I wouldn't pay any attention to it. If you're a regular reader/poster here, you probably know more about NFA laws than 90% of the gun industry.

DanO
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

kbs2244 wrote:As explained,

I'm aware of that, and it has nothing to do with what I was asking. I was curious why they would be selling two categories of barrels: SBR, and Pistol, and then wording it so that it implies you would be breaking the law to install a barrel they sell you as being a pistol barrel, onto a rifle receiver. And vice-versa.
DCloudy777 wrote:It just looks like hastily-written disclaimer speak, probably thrown in by someone in the marketing department. I wouldn't pay any attention to it. If you're a regular reader/poster here, you probably know more about NFA laws than 90% of the gun industry.

DanO
Yeah, that's what I figured it probably was, and that is the only place I've ever seen it stated. They just want to cover their asses from all directions in a simple way, I suppose. OTOH, it sounded like something the DOJ might quietly throw into the mix to further complicate things and confuse gun owners, and to give themselves more avenues to do whatever.
bikefreek
Silent But Deadly

Post by bikefreek »

rockman96 wrote:
kbs2244 wrote:As explained,

I'm aware of that, and it has nothing to do with what I was asking. I was curious why they would be selling two categories of barrels: SBR, and Pistol, and then wording it so that it implies you would be breaking the law to install a barrel they sell you as being a pistol barrel, onto a rifle receiver. And vice-versa.
DCloudy777 wrote:It just looks like hastily-written disclaimer speak, probably thrown in by someone in the marketing department. I wouldn't pay any attention to it. If you're a regular reader/poster here, you probably know more about NFA laws than 90% of the gun industry.

DanO
Yeah, that's what I figured it probably was, and that is the only place I've ever seen it stated. They just want to cover their asses from all directions in a simple way, I suppose. OTOH, it sounded like something the DOJ might quietly throw into the mix to further complicate things and confuse gun owners, and to give themselves more avenues to do whatever.
technically that is right... a pistol barrel can only be installed on a pistol or SBR.... not a rifle.... and whats the big deal?
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

bikefreek wrote:technically that is right... a pistol barrel can only be installed on a pistol or SBR.... not a rifle.... and whats the big deal?
It isn't a big deal, so lets not turn it into one. To re-hash, I admitted that I was reading more into it than what is there. And I understand the concept you mention above (and I agree with it)....but that is not what they are implying. They are listing 'Commando' barrels (to be installed only on SBR's), and 'Pistol' barrels (to be installed only on pistols), with a very explicit warning not to mount the 'pistol' barrel on a receiver registered as a rifle receiver. I always thought a short barrel was a short barrel, completely interchangeable between pistol and rifle lowers. I still figure that is the case, it's just that they're covering their asses, and the way they worded it along with having separate listings confused me a bit.
bikefreek
Silent But Deadly

Post by bikefreek »

rockman96 wrote:
bikefreek wrote:technically that is right... a pistol barrel can only be installed on a pistol or SBR.... not a rifle.... and whats the big deal?
It isn't a big deal, so lets not turn it into one. To re-hash, I admitted that I was reading more into it than what is there. And I understand the concept you mention above (and I agree with it)....but that is not what they are implying. They are listing 'Commando' barrels (to be installed only on SBR's), and 'Pistol' barrels (to be installed only on pistols), with a very explicit warning not to mount the 'pistol' barrel on a receiver registered as a rifle receiver. I always thought a short barrel was a short barrel, completely interchangeable between pistol and rifle lowers. I still figure that is the case, it's just that they're covering their asses, and the way they worded it along with having separate listings confused me a bit.
a short barrel is not legally interchangeable between a pistol and a rifle... it is with a pistol and an SBR... why do you have a problem with a warning to not mount a pistol barrel on a registered rifle lower?
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

On re-reading my post, I can see I didn't take it far enough....it *should* have read: 'I always thought a short barrel was a short barrel, completely interchangeable between pistol and rifle lowers *as long as the rifle lower is registered as a SBR*. In the back of my mind I automatically think 'registered SBR receiver' in a situation like this, I guess because of the fact that it would never even be a consideration for me to put a short barrel on anything except a registered SBR or pistol lower. And as I said, I'm sure I read more into the disclaimer than what was there...what more do you want?