Since when can cops detain motorists for obeying the law ?

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Since when can cops detain motorists for obeying the law ?

Post by kwikrnu »

I stopped at an inoperable traffic light on 4-18-11. Cop says there is no requirement to stop. I go to station to file a complaint. The cop at the station says there is no requirement to stop. The law is clear on the matter. Motorists must stop at inoperable lights. So, the cop I filed the complaint with still wants me arrested...

illegal traffic stop

police lobby audio trying to file complaint

news story
win912
Silent But Deadly

Re: Since when can cops detain motorists for obeying the law

Post by win912 »

Smile and say okay and move on. That is the low key approach to dealing with the cops. Now you have made yourself a bullseye. Its not a matter of right or wrong, it is a matter of how much money your willing to spend to make yourself righteous again. I'd rather spend my money on beans, bullets and bandages. :idea:
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

That was a crappy tape but putting that aside the desk sgt. sounded polite until you started to press your point and then you got on his nerves.

win912 is correct in his assessment but as you have come this far you might as well see it through.

Good luck and don't forget to tell us how you make out in court.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

Hush wrote:That was a crappy tape but putting that aside the desk sgt. sounded polite until you started to press your point and then you got on his nerves.

win912 is correct in his assessment but as you have come this far you might as well see it through.

Good luck and don't forget to tell us how you make out in court.
The cops was real polite until he started lying about the law, lying about how I stopped suddenly, lying about the speed limit, trying to throw me out of the police station, and saying that I was filing a false complaint.

The point was to file a complaint. The cop obviously did not want me to file a complaint. He tried to intimidate me into leaving. It is unfortunate cops don't know the laws they attempt to enforce.

I'll win in court.
TCA 55-8-110(c)The driver of any vehicle approaching an intersection that is controlled by a traffic-control signal that is inoperative because of mechanical failure or accident shall come to a full and complete stop at the intersection, and may proceed with due caution when it is safe to do so; provided, that if two (2) or more vehicles enter such an intersection from different directions at approximately the same time, after having come to full and complete stops, the driver of the vehicle on the left shall yield the right-of-way to the vehicle on the right. A traffic-control signal shall not be considered inoperative if the signal is operating in flashing mode. If a signal is operating in flashing mode, it shall require obedience by vehicular traffic pursuant to § 55-8-112.
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

Holy crap. Kwik, do yourself a favor and buy a decent set of microphones. I use these for recording music and my kids, and they are frickin awesome. Covert too, with no artifacts like you get with mics pinned to clothes.

http://microphonemadness.com/categories ... _mics.html

The $89 ones are fine. Drop the cord down your back under your shirt. Plug them into an Edirol in your pocket and you are good to go for the clearest and most realistic stereo field recordings you've ever heard in your life.

Just sayin.
mcinfantry
Silent But Deadly

Post by mcinfantry »

I agree with you, and the law is the same here, no light = 4way stop

How many days or weeks did you drive through the light before you saw a cop on the side of the road you could goad into stopping you?
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

mcinfantry wrote:I agree with you, and the law is the same here, no light = 4way stop

How many days or weeks did you drive through the light before you saw a cop on the side of the road you could goad into stopping you?
It's terrible that we think of him this way, but that was the first amn thing I thought, too. :?
RIP Dave. You will be missed.
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

Major WTF moment - how much of a pain in the ass have you been previously to these guys? Have you dealt with them before? Reason I ask...
“Well, thank you sir. I tell you what, you step outside here, let me tell you something about less than helpful — you step right out here,” Strope [cop] said to Embody.[kwikrnu]
:shock:

You pissed off a police Sergeant enough that he asked you to step outside to fight. Damn, dude. Just... damn.
urban assault
Silent But Deadly

Post by urban assault »

mcinfantry wrote:I agree with you, and the law is the same here, no light = 4way stop

^THIS in motherfucking spades!

Confrontations with cops seems to be your main reason for rolling out of the rack each day, but I'm sure we'll hear the standard mantra about how you are merely standing up for "your rights".

Bullshit.

I've been on this earth coming up on 45 years, have an SBR that gets shot in public regularly, have a CCW but have also open carried, and have been driving a big old black Lincoln Continental Lowrider WITH a hoodscoop for years!

I get pulled over maybe twice a year(mainly for having a heavy foot :lol: ) and both times I got away with just a warning because I was pleasant, polite and respectful to the cop I was dealing with.

I forgot to mention that I am an ex-Bouncer, I'm 6'2", sport a shaved head and a goatee, have aggressive tatt's on my arms, and I weigh about 425. I ain't no shrinkin' violet.

Back in the day I drove this vehicle that I built up. I carried a gun all the time then too.

I got MAYBE one ticket during the entire time I drove this rig(which I deserved), but much more contact with the cops because they thought the car was cool. Never a problem that I carried either, regardless of my appearance. Again I was always pleasant and polite.

It all comes down to attitude and how you carry yourself when dealing with authority figures.

You are an overblown incident waiting to happen, whether it is only for the attention it might bring, or you are looking a hefty payday from the city coffers to make you go away I haven't really decided yet, but either way you give regular gun-owners a bad name.

-urban
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

urban assault wrote:

^THIS in motherfucking spades!
-urban
+1

If I was a cop and I saw you driving around in the Lincoln or the truck? I might pull you over because I'd like to ask you about your car. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

PTK wrote:Major WTF moment - how much of a pain in the ass have you been previously to these guys? Have you dealt with them before? Reason I ask...
“Well, thank you sir. I tell you what, you step outside here, let me tell you something about less than helpful — you step right out here,” Strope [cop] said to Embody.[kwikrnu]

You pissed off a police Sergeant enough that he asked you to step outside to fight. Damn, dude. Just... damn.
He's one of three remaining candidates for the next police chief...
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

Urban, that is one bad ass road warrior tank. Do you use the front to ramp a quad up top, or just as a battering ram?

Either way, I would stay the fuk away from you on the road! :shock:
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

I really hate to say it but Kwik is right regarding the law regarding stopping at inactive stop lights. Being pulled over for it is definitely not right. Now with that out of the way, Cops know who the troublemakers are in their area and I have no doubt that there are some remarks next to your name when your plate gets run through the system. Probably every cop in your area knows your name, what you look like, and what vehicles you drive. Had you kept going through the light then you possibly would have gotten pulled over for that and been given a real ticket. I suspect that this was just a little jab in the side of Leonard to piss him off a bit.

Now if I ever had an issue being pulled over for no apparent reason then I would likely go to talk to the police chief or the sheriff. And I can guaran-damn-tee you that the desk sergeant wouldn't ask me to step outside for pissing him off and eventually I'd get to talk to the chief or the sheriff.

I would say that this thread is going to be one Nighthawk shy of making 100 pages.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

kwikrnu wrote:
PTK wrote:Major WTF moment - how much of a pain in the ass have you been previously to these guys? Have you dealt with them before? Reason I ask...

He's one of three remaining candidates for the next police chief...
And that entirely answered my question. Good call, thanks for playing. :roll:
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

bakerjw wrote:I really hate to say it but Kwik is right regarding the law regarding stopping at inactive stop lights. Being pulled over for it is definitely not right. ...
If you read the article the light hasn't been working since it was installed 9 years ago, I'm *sure* the lights definitely had bags on them before the incident.

If you listen to the audio kwikkysue himself mentions the the bags were probably blown off by storms and he knew about the storms before he decided to drive by the intersection. It sounds like he had two weeks to troll the lights looking for an opportunity to create an incident.

The article doesn't mention how abruptly he stopped or for how long, we already know he twists the truth so I'll give the officer the benefit of the doubt that he stopped abruptly and I'm willing to bet he intentionally stayed stopped long enough to cause unsafe traffic conditions. He was probably hoping somebody would rear end him and put him in a "win-win" situation where he gets to sue the driver *AND* the city for negligence.

But nothing happens so he picks a fight with the officer who stopped him then goes down to the station with the intent of picking and recording a fight with the officer on duty at the station.

Too much past history of antagonism to give Lenny the benefit of the doubt.

ETA: Looked at the video, not an abrupt stop, not a long stop, the van driver was caught unawares and swerved around him, some of the plastic from the bags was still hanging on the left light so clearly bags were there before and since they've been there for 9 years the officer didn't notice them missing and stopped Lenny for reasonable cause ... then Lenny made an comment about taking a picture which put the officer on the defensive ... a well orchestrated con by Lenny

The officer was professional and polite until Lenny started being antagonistic

But Lenny was wrong on many counts, most prominently the fact that it was not a 4-way stop.
Last edited by doubloon on Tue May 10, 2011 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mcinfantry
Silent But Deadly

Post by mcinfantry »

Watch the YouTube dashcam. It's intentional IMHO
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

mcinfantry wrote:Watch the YouTube dashcam. It's intentional IMHO
Agreed, edited my post to say so but it's a lot of words.

Even if the intent was not obvious from the way Lenny stopped in the middle of the highway it should easily be obvious from the dialogue with the officer ... leading and antagonistic.

Had this stop involved two normal people where both made an honest mistake it might have gone something like ...

Officer: Know why I stopped you?
Driver: No sir.

O: Because you stopped on the highway when you shouldn't have and you were impeding traffic.
D: I'm sorry, I though I was supposed to stop at a non-functioning light.
O: Those lights are under construction and not operative.
D: Oh, I didn't know that, I didn't see any indication of construction.
O: They've been covered with bags since they were installed.
D: I didn't notice any bags covering the lights, are you sure they're still on the lights.
O: When we're done here I'll drive back and verify the bags are in place.
D: Please do, I believe they may have been blown off in the recent storms.
O: I'll take care of that, you have a nice day and be careful.
D: Thank you sir, you too.

The End

But it didn't involve two normal people, one of them was Lenny and decided to antagonize the officer by "offering" to collect photographic evidence of the crime scene.
urban assault
Silent But Deadly

Post by urban assault »

Davo5o wrote:Urban, that is one bad ass road warrior tank. Do you use the front to ramp a quad up top, or just as a battering ram?

Either way, I would stay the fuk away from you on the road! :shock:
It was used to crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of their women! :lol:

To be honest, I was pulling out all the stops when I was working on The Beast so I just wanted it to look cool, and damn menacing.

It sure was fun to drive and own, even years later I miss it very much.

-urban
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Fellas, I can't believe you don't see through this ploy.

First of all... It appears kwiksue was clipping right along and stopped suddenly. You can see the guy behind him has to slam on his breaks to avoid a collision. This was the original intention of the manufactured situation.

His original intent was to have some sort of justification to stop suddenly.... and manufacture a rear-end collision for himself. I suspect he could then attempt to collect for neck injuries. You can thank people like this for a significant portion of your auto premiums.

As you can tell, it did not go according to plan. Fortunately for kwiksue the cop saw this sudden peculiar stop and provided a second opportunity to thief money from the rest of us..... by manufacturing yet another confrontation with police.

If this is in fact kwiksue's original intention and it can be proven as such... that is INSURANCE FRAUD.

This, unfortunately, is not provable. I will trust each of us to make our own conclusions based on known character flaws and total lack of credibility of the OP.
-----
Ick
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

I don't know ick, I think Lenny is having some fun, I think authority figures gave him a hard time throughout the years and now its his turn and turn about is fair play as long as it doesn't put him broke or in jail for a stretch.
Go for it Lenny :!:

But I will say if he is looking for accidents for financial gain its shameful, an accident like this can also kill and the funeral parlor will be be the richer for it.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
wyoguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by wyoguy »

There's a Truly CLASSIC Leonard Line Reported in The News Story...(He must have it Tatooed On His Pinky Finger?)

"Embody Asked If He Was Being DETAINED ???"

Unfortunately for Lennie, He Was Just Asked To ......"LEAVE The Department"!!!

BUMMER DUDE!!!

Maybe You Need To Work On Your Delivery More ?

A Little More SNARL And Sneer And Spittle When You Say.......DETAINED?

You Must Really Hate It When You See A PAYDAY Slipping Away!?

:lol:

WYOGUY
85% of all statistics are made up...and the other 30% are wrong!
Veritas
Silent But Deadly

Post by Veritas »

Simple reply, the attention whore is getting exactly what he wants, he walks around with a god damn recorder for christ sakes, he gets his dick hard trying to play this sick little fucking game and I cant believe some of you are supporting him.

This is truly shameless... he knows EXACTLY what he is doing. Hence the camera/audio/news article trifecta.

Thank God Nighthawk is gone...now just need shitbird here to be banned as well...

Oh and p.s. if I was a cop and saw you I would have pulled you over as well and made up an excuse as well, just to F--k with you. :D
Snake-eater 1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Snake-eater 1 »

Guess I missed it, what happened to Nighthawk?
"Our drills are bloodless battles,
Our battles are bloody drills."
A saying of the Spartans
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

Snake-eater 1 wrote:Guess I missed it, what happened to Nighthawk?
No one knows, he just stopped posting one day after I posted his real name.
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

Veritas wrote:Oh and p.s. if I was a cop and saw you I would have pulled you over as well and made up an excuse as well, just to F--k with you. :D
Gallatin PD is looking for a few asshole cops to complement the force. You'd fit right in.