Evidence of an Illegal gun registry?

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Evidence of an Illegal gun registry?

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

From the FoxNew story titled: Manhunt Continues for Three Siblings Sought in Armed Bank Robbery

The story is about 3 bank robbery suspects (siblings). But while reading it, this stood out:

"...Police suspect the siblings are carrying "an arsenal of weapons," after tracing prior background checks run by gun sellers and confirming that Ryan bought an AK-47 assault rifle at a pawn shop two years ago. Authorities say the rifle is similar to the one used in the bank robbery. Similar checks also show Stanley owns guns...."

Story here: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/07/ma ... z1UMdEwmIN

Besides the errors about terms like "AK-47" and "assault rifle", this sounds to me as if there's a defacto gun registry.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Re: Evidence of an Illegal gun registry?

Post by Hush »

Of course there is and the batf keeps it. This is not the first time they let info slip out via the media.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Don't they scan all 4473s into a portable image scanner during regular dealer audits anyway? If they have all the data available anyway, that's the same as a registry, since they know who has what.
Libertarian_Geek wrote:...after tracing prior background checks run by gun sellers...Similar checks also show Stanley owns guns.
Oh, yeah...the background checks that must be deleted afterwards and by law, cannot be permanently maintained in a database. I guess "The Law" doesn't care much about the law, except when it suits them.
ducati
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ducati »

Years ago, I got a call from a neighboring county homicide detective. Wanted to know where gun s/n xxx was. Since I keep meticulous records, I was able to tell him it was traded to xyz pawn shop for another gun on abc date.

Turns out it was a murder weapon in Detroit, far from Atlanta where I purchased it new from that same pawn shop years earlier. I guess they traced it from Taurus, to the shop, to me as the first owner.

Buy used when you can!
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

ducati wrote:Years ago, I got a call from a neighboring county homicide detective. Wanted to know where gun s/n xxx was. Since I keep meticulous records, I was able to tell him it was traded to xyz pawn shop for another gun on abc date.

Turns out it was a murder weapon in Detroit, far from Atlanta where I purchased it new from that same pawn shop years earlier. I guess they traced it from Taurus, to the shop, to me as the first owner.

Buy used when you can!

It's one thing to start w/ a serial number and follow up on the people to people transfers. It's another have the capability to start with a person and identify the serial numbers on the guns that they purchased. That's a sign of a very large illegal database.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
st33ve0
Silent But Deadly

Post by st33ve0 »

Libertarian_Geek wrote:
ducati wrote:Years ago, I got a call from a neighboring county homicide detective. Wanted to know where gun s/n xxx was. Since I keep meticulous records, I was able to tell him it was traded to xyz pawn shop for another gun on abc date.

Buy used when you can!

It's one thing to start w/ a serial number and follow up on the people to people transfers. It's another have the capability to start with a person and identify the serial numbers on the guns that they purchased. That's a sign of a very large illegal database.
I've heard similar stories of people getting calls after they sold a firearm FTF later being used in crimes...this is why I keep a detailed list of any firearms I sell including the date. Though I did have one firearm stolen...finally called the officer a year later to ask for any updates and he came back saying I never gave him the serial number when I gave it to him as well as to the dispatch when I called it in :roll:
kogashuko
Silent But Deadly

Post by kogashuko »

This is because the system used for the transfers can be audited in every way possible. This is also because of the freedom of information act as well. Every transaction that runs through the system will be saved forever. The purpose is not to track guns but it allows to track transfers. It also does helpfull things like allowing stolen firearms to be returned to owners.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

kogashuko wrote:...The purpose is not to track guns but it allows to track transfers.
Using merely 13 words, this is one of the most intellectually dishonest statements I have read here lately. Do you really believe what you wrote?

kogashuko wrote:It also does helpfull things like allowing stolen firearms to be returned to owners.
It's helpfully illegal then. Regardless of the perception of an up side, it is what it is.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
win912
Silent But Deadly

Post by win912 »

Shake your finger at the government and demand a citizen's arrest.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

win912 wrote:Shake your finger at the government and demand a citizen's arrest.
The arrests I make are not classified as "citizen's arrests". :wink:
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
win912
Silent But Deadly

Post by win912 »

I like your style.
mx201er
Silent But Deadly

Post by mx201er »

win912 wrote:I like your style.
+1
"If you are mad as hell and aren't going to take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside.
If you're the only dumbass with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet."