How do I add a caliber to my SBR?

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

royalflush

How do I add a caliber to my SBR?

Post by royalflush »

Well, as smart as I am (psych) I only put down 5.56 on the form 1 for my SBR. It was send of a couple months ago, and has not returned yet.
I want to add a couple calibers to it (300 BLK mainly, but also 6.8, and .450BM)
Can this be done?
Can this be done easily? :)
would one of you gentlemen be kind enough to send me a link to the form to be filled out, OR an address to send a letter too. I hope it can be done... some help would be very appreciated.
Thanks
Chad
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Re: How do I add a caliber to my SBR?

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

(Assuming that you have an approved Form-1 for your lower.)

Step 1: Buy another upper.

Repeat Step 1 as necessary. (no additional paperwork required for additional uppers of any length.)

(Edited for clarity)
Last edited by Libertarian_Geek on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

You don't need any paperwork.
royalflush

Post by royalflush »

man, that's great news! so I ONLY put down 5.56 on my paper work.... and I can shoot ANY caliber I want out of any barrel length that i want when the form is approved?
That's great news
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

royalflush wrote:man, that's great news! so I ONLY put down 5.56 on my paper work.... and I can shoot ANY caliber I want out of any barrel length that i want when the form is approved?
That's great news
Yes just be able to return it to the specs on the form.
Buzduk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Buzduk »

When I spoke with someone at the NFA they said that you can add addition uppers to your collection but that I should send them a letter stating caliber and barrel length for a upper that I will use with my stamped lower. They put the letter in your file. Just what I was told.
Matt
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201
http://form4.org/
bullyforyou
Senior Silent Operator

Post by bullyforyou »

Buzduk wrote:When I spoke with someone at the NFA they said that you can add addition uppers to your collection but that I should send them a letter stating caliber and barrel length for a upper that I will use with my stamped lower. They put the letter in your file. Just what I was told.
what they like to have, and what they need to have are two different things.
Eagle1*
Silent But Deadly

Post by Eagle1* »

Only question I have is if my form 1 says 10.5"barrel length, can I add a shorter upper in another caliber
In God we trust, all others are checked through NCIC!
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

Eagle1* wrote:Only question I have is if my form 1 says 10.5"barrel length, can I add a shorter upper in another caliber
Yes
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

Tagged
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Eagle1* wrote:Only question I have is if my form 1 says 10.5"barrel length, can I add a shorter upper in another caliber
Yes. There's nothing that states that the barrel length listed on your form is a minimum length. I believe that you do have to be able to return it to that configuration (meaning, keep the upper that was approved on your form [Or] send them a letter letting them know that you've reconfigured it as "XYZ" and no longer have the "ABC" configuration)

However. It's been said (and repeated on the interwebs) that LEOs may make just such an assumption (RE the minimum length myth) and therefore may cause a hassle. I don't know if I give this any credibility, but it's something to consider. I have shorter barrels than the one listed on my form for my rifle caliber AR.
CarlosDJackal
Silent Operator

Post by CarlosDJackal »

Buzduk wrote:When I spoke with someone at the NFA they said that you can add addition uppers to your collection but that I should send them a letter stating caliber and barrel length for a upper that I will use with my stamped lower. They put the letter in your file. Just what I was told.
I have done this, I added a 7" 9mm upper to my first SBR and sent them a letter about it. I received the letter TWO YEARS later. I've stopped doing it since the primary caliber for all my SBRs are going to be 5.56 anyway.

This is nothing more than a courtesy to them. YMMV.
RandyM

Post by RandyM »

What I have read, as long as you keep the original upper that is on the paperwork (caliber and bbl length), you can change them out to use others.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

RandyM wrote:What I have read, as long as you keep the original upper that is on the paperwork (caliber and bbl length), you can change them out to use others.
Correct as long as the change is not PERMANENT you can add and subtract calibers at will. If you get rid of the registered combo(say 10" 300BLK) then you need to update the ATF with the new permanent configuration.
AlohaRover

Post by AlohaRover »

Libertarian_Geek wrote:
Yes. There's nothing that states that the barrel length listed on your form is a minimum length. I believe that you do have to be able to return it to that configuration (meaning, keep the upper that was approved on your form [Or] send them a letter letting them know that you've reconfigured it as "XYZ" and no longer have the "ABC" configuration)

However. It's been said (and repeated on the interwebs) that LEOs may make just such an assumption (RE the minimum length myth) and therefore may cause a hassle. I don't know if I give this any credibility, but it's something to consider. I have shorter barrels than the one listed on my form for my rifle caliber AR.
FWIW, I asked NFA branch about this. I was helping a customer with his form 1 and was told longer than registered is fine, but not shorter. All of the SBR lowers I do on a form 2 I always put down 5" barrel.
Colorado Springs
FFL-07/SOT
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

AlohaRover wrote:
Libertarian_Geek wrote:

FWIW, I asked NFA branch about this. I was helping a customer with his form 1 and was told longer than registered is fine, but not shorter. All of the SBR lowers I do on a form 2 I always put down 5" barrel.
There's an ATF letter floating around the inter-webs stating that you may have extra uppers both shorter and longer than your registered one, but you must keep the registered upper. If you plan on selling the registered upper, you must let them know about the change to a new length. I'll try and find the letter. If someone else has the link, please post it so that we can correct the misinformation and move on.

As far as changing the length that's registered... (write 'em a letter to let them know).
Image?
Eagle1*
Silent But Deadly

Post by Eagle1* »

alright, noticing that this letter was received Feb/2011 and the original maker sent in his letter in June/2009. Do you have to wait till you receive the registered change letter (as shown below) before using your differnt upper/caliber combination other than the original registered combination? If so, this guy waited a 1 1/2 before he could actually keep the change and sell the original upper combination?

I am wanting to go smaller in a different caliber other than my original form 1 was sent in? Does anyone have the subsection in the NFA book that actually describes this or do I need to call my examiner and ask them?? Thanks... confused????
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Eagle1* wrote:alright, noticing that this letter was received Feb/2011 and the original maker sent in his letter in June/2009. Do you have to wait till you receive the registered change letter (as shown below) before using your differnt upper/caliber combination other than the original registered combination? If so, this guy waited a 1 1/2 before he could actually keep the change and sell the original upper combination?

I am wanting to go smaller in a different caliber other than my original form 1 was sent in? Does anyone have the subsection in the NFA book that actually describes this or do I need to call my examiner and ask them?? Thanks... confused????
Call your examiner and see what they recommend.

If there is a permanent change notification is required and ATF loses stuff ALL THE TIME!!! Don't trust they received int until you have something in writing from them until you do you have to assume they never got it.
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

Q: May the short barrel on an SBR or SBS be replaced with a long barrel for hunting or other purposes, with the intent of replacing the short barrel?
Yes, and you will not be required to again register the firearm before replacing the short barrel. ATF recommends written notification to the NFA Branch when a firearm’s configuration is permanently changed or removed from the purview of the NFA.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/nationa ... tguns.html
Eagle1*
Silent But Deadly

Post by Eagle1* »

-k- wrote:Q: May the short barrel on an SBR or SBS be replaced with a long barrel for hunting or other purposes, with the intent of replacing the short barrel?
Yes, and you will not be required to again register the firearm before replacing the short barrel. ATF recommends written notification to the NFA Branch when a firearm’s configuration is permanently changed or removed from the purview of the NFA.

So I see that if the original SBR is not "permanently" changed, then going from a 10.5" barrel to say an 8" barrel would not be illegal as long as you keep the original 10.5" barrel so that you can put it back to its original configeration??????????????????????????????????

Does this only apply if you put on the "longer" barrel than the original SBR length??????
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Eagle1* wrote:
-k- wrote:Q: May the short barrel on an SBR or SBS be replaced with a long barrel for hunting or other purposes, with the intent of replacing the short barrel?

So I see that if the original SBR is not "permanently" changed, then going from a 10.5" barrel to say an 8" barrel would not be illegal as long as you keep the original 10.5" barrel so that you can put it back to its original configeration??????????????????????????????????

Does this only apply if you put on the "longer" barrel than the original SBR length??????

As long as you maintain the original configuration(ie, store it in original configuration, don't leave new configuration installed or its considered permanent. Temporary change is just that temporary, when done using it it goes back to original config, this does NOT require notification.

A permanent change requires documentation doesn't matter if shorter or longer, the key word is 'permanent'. So if you decide to keep the 10.5" but the 8" becomes what its kept in then a notification should be put in as its no longer temporary.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

This thread made me think of something.

Hypothetically, what crime would they charge you with if you were contrary to the best advice that the internet had to give on the subject. Scenario:

(I'm not suggesting this... it's only a thought experiment)
Step 1> Register an SBR AR-15.. say 4" .22LR.
Step 2> Get approved
Step 3> Permanently change it to 11.5" .223
Step 4> Flaunt it on forums, Facebook, Youtube, etc. Pictures, videos

What law would they charge you with breaking and why? Disturbing the peace?
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

Nothing. The law says you can't have an SBR without the tax paid, nothing about changing the barrel length makes your SBR any less tax paid...

The ATF doesn't "recommend" you pay the transfer tax before you possess an SBR, so the "recommendation" to notify them of changes means they can't require it.
Bluewidowr1

Post by Bluewidowr1 »

Libertarian_Geek wrote:This thread made me think of something.

Hypothetically, what crime would they charge you with if you were contrary to the best advice that the internet had to give on the subject. Scenario:

Step 2> Get approved

From what I can tell as long as you leave the 4" .22LR upper in the safe so as your changes are not "permanent". You can swap your upper to any other caliber and or barrel length both less than 16" or greater than 16" as long as you retain the ability to return to the 4" .22LR upper. Thus making any other upper a non permanent change and within current restrictions. Keep in mind I am not a lawyer so YMMV.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Bluewidowr1 wrote:
Libertarian_Geek wrote:This thread made me think of something.

Step 2> Get approved

From what I can tell as long as you leave the 4" .22LR upper in the safe so as your changes are not "permanent". You can swap your upper to any other caliber and or barrel length both less than 16" or greater than 16" as long as you retain the ability to return to the 4" .22LR upper. Thus making any other upper a non permanent change and within current restrictions. Keep in mind I am not a lawyer so YMMV.
The challenge in my hypothetical was to identify the law that they would charge you with breaking. I think that Todd is correct. My point is that there's a difference in what the ATF requests that you do, vs what you are legally obligated to do.