Ordering a can from an out of state dealer?

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

zeeew
Silent Operator

Ordering a can from an out of state dealer?

Post by zeeew »

Hello all

I am interested in a can my Utah dealer doesnt stock. If I ordered from a dealer out of state is there a 200 tax between dealers? Would I have to save over 200 to make it worth it, or would ownership go to me from the out of state dealer with just a "dealer transfer fee", whatever the dealer wanted to charge?

Eric
MV10
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ordering a can from an out of state dealer?

Post by MV10 »

The $200 tax is an excise tax, and those are assessed against end-users: you.

I'm a first-time buyer who can't find what he wants locally, too, though -- so I'm interested in clarification about how the rest of the process works. From what I've gleaned poking around the posts here, it sounds like it's just a regular FFL transfer, apart from having to hold it for months on end.
Modern American political discourse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ordering a can from an out of state dealer?

Post by johndoe3 »

It's a no cost Form 3 transfer to your local FFL. Your local FFL will then charge you some amount for the sale (paperwork process and storage), plus you pay $200 to BATFE when you mail the Form 4.

Depending on the brand suppressor you want, it may be beneficial for your FFL to get it from a stocking Distributor. That way the FFL makes some profit and you get the suppressor you want.
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)