Is there an update on the CLEO sign off being eliminated

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Silenzio

Is there an update on the CLEO sign off being eliminated

Post by Silenzio »

There was talk of this about a year ago, has any progress been made ?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Is there an update on the CLEO sign off being eliminated

Post by Bendersquint »

Silenzio wrote:There was talk of this about a year ago, has any progress been made ?
Nothing started moving forward till late last year like November I believe. It is still in the works these things take time.
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

Bendersquint wrote:these things take time.

reminds me of this

Thankfully the police captain who is designated to sign for the chief in my city emails me every couple months with gun questions, and signoffs are no problem for me.
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

Silenzio wrote:There was talk of this about a year ago, has any progress been made ?
Don't get your hopes up.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

renegade wrote:
Don't get your hopes up.
It's happening Renegade, just going to take some time to make it through the system and into the register and then new forms printed. Gonna take awhile.
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

So how will the process work if the CLEO sign off is eliminated?
“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” - Samuel Adams
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

Tango2249 wrote:So how will the process work if the CLEO sign off is eliminated?
We will not know for certain till they tell us.

Like I said, don't get your hopes up we will probably get screwed. All the proposals I have seen suck.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

That's why I'm trying to get all my s--t in now that I can foresee wanting in the near future. The new proposal I've seen kinda sucks for me being on a trust.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Wahnsinn wrote:That's why I'm trying to get all my s--t in now that I can foresee wanting in the near future. The new proposal I've seen kinda sucks for me being on a trust.
Could you elaborate on the suckyness of it please? I've been procrastonating on sending in some Form 1s. Thanks
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

L1A1Rocker wrote:
Wahnsinn wrote:That's why I'm trying to get all my s--t in now that I can foresee wanting in the near future. The new proposal I've seen kinda sucks for me being on a trust.
Could you elaborate on the suckyness of it please? I've been procrastonating on sending in some Form 1s. Thanks
In exchange for doing away with CLEO, Corps/Trusts would have to send in prints/Photos, as all Forms would now undergo a BG Check.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

Yea it is called a trust.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

renegade wrote:
L1A1Rocker wrote:
In exchange for doing away with CLEO, Corps/Trusts would have to send in prints/Photos, as all Forms would now undergo a BG Check.
Along with sending copies of your paperwork to the local police (at least this is one possibility). Similar to when you get your FFL, a copy goes to local police. This would give them visibility not only into what you're currently after with that particular form, but also whatever you have listed on your schedule A, and whoever is listed in your trust/corp docs.

No thanks.
ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

Post by ChimeraPrecision »

renegade wrote:
L1A1Rocker wrote:
Can anyone post up a pdf of these proposals?

background photos and prints for a corp would be shitty if you had many employees. Or would only the authorized agent have to do this?
Keep calm, and suppress on
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

ChimeraPrecision wrote: Can anyone post up a pdf of these proposals?

background photos and prints for a corp would be shitty if you had many employees. Or would only the authorized agent have to do this?
Pdf's are not available yet as it isn't open to public comment yet.

Backgrounds, prints, photos would be required for anyone having access to the items, not the entire corporation/entity.
ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

Bendersquint wrote:
ChimeraPrecision wrote: Can anyone post up a pdf of these proposals?

Pdf's are not available yet as it isn't open to public comment yet.

Backgrounds, prints, photos would be required for anyone having access to the items, not the entire corporation/entity.
Dammit. this is set in stone?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

That is what was discussed and when we talk to the ATF thats what we are told.

Its kinda like what the NRA did with the 86 ban.

NRA - Don't ban machineguns all together, just ban new manufactured..... ATF - agreed.

NRA - Take away the CLEO signature its being abused, and print, pic and check out the trusts/corps..... ATF - agreed.

ATF would be stupid to argue with that. Now they will know who really has access to these items and the loophole is closed.

Last I heard it was expected to go through sometime at the beginning of next year, still has to make it through all the legal channels then print new forms etc......process takes awhile.
ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

Bendersquint wrote:That is what was discussed and when we talk to the ATF thats what we are told.

NRA - Don't ban machineguns all together, just ban new manufactured..... ATF - agreed.

NRA - Take away the CLEO signature its being abused, and print, pic and check out the trusts/corps..... ATF - agreed.

ATF would be stupid to argue with that. Now they will know who really has access to these items and the loophole is closed.

Last I heard it was expected to go through sometime at the beginning of next year, still has to make it through all the legal channels then print new forms etc......process takes awhile.
Then why the hell wouldn't they suggest expediting the process??
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

Bendersquint wrote:That is what was discussed and when we talk to the ATF thats what we are told.

No such thing happened, not even remotely close. ATF was not even involved.
Bendersquint wrote:
This is false too. NRA has nothing to do with this. CLEO Sig is being driven by NFATCA. The effort to remove CLEO dates back over a decade. It has nothing to do with any so-called "abuse".
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

I apologize for not using the right terminology.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Bendersquint wrote: NRA - Don't ban machineguns all together, just ban new manufactured..... ATF - agreed.

That's not how it happened. The Hughes Amendment to the Firearm Owners Protection Act was passed by a voice vote. The votes were NOT there to pass the amendment. Charles Rangel, who was presiding at the time, "deemed" the amendment passed despite not having the votes to do so.
http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-n ... lly-passed
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

I guess I should have done alot more clarification to make the point I was trying to make, but I failed.

I know it was the Hughes Amendment and how it came to pass.