I'm in the military and confused about suppressor ownership

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

cuban11182

I'm in the military and confused about suppressor ownership

Post by cuban11182 »

So I am a bit confused. Ive wanted to either purchase a suppressor for a while now and have only recently started looking into it. I am currently in Florida, but will be moving to Texas in June.

I've read that the sheriff in my county will sign the form 4 so that isn't an issue. I would prefer to go the trust route and list my father who resides in Pennsylvania on the trust so I can leave it with him if I need to. I just spoke with an attorney and he informed me that after I move out of Texas I would need to have a new trust drafted up to ensure compliance with the new state's trust laws. This, of course, would constitute a new ownership and another $200 tax stamp.

I thought that a Revocable Living Trust could be amended? Should I just wait until my retirement to purchase the items I want?
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Re: I'm in the military and confused about suppressor owners

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

Why don't you just get your 1st trust written up to conform to all of the states at play? That being said, you may want to seek a 2nd legal opinion (one from a lawyer familiar with NFA centric trusts).
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

cuban11182 wrote:So I am a bit confused. Ive wanted to either purchase a suppressor for a while now and have only recently started looking into it. I am currently in Florida, but will be moving to Texas in June.

I've read that the sheriff in my county will sign the form 4 so that isn't an issue. I would prefer to go the trust route and list my father who resides in Pennsylvania on the trust so I can leave it with him if I need to. I just spoke with an attorney and he informed me that after I move out of Texas I would need to have a new trust drafted up to ensure compliance with the new state's trust laws. This, of course, would constitute a new ownership and another $200 tax stamp.

I thought that a Revocable Living Trust could be amended? Should I just wait until my retirement to purchase the items I want?
If you know that you will be PCS'ng in June it would not be smart to start anything now unless you wanted to start the process of getting a can delivered to a dealer in TX.

A RLT CAN be amended but it still has to reflect the trust laws of your state in some cases it will require a transfer stamp but thats based on the state laws.

If you want it now and don't want to deal with a trust then just get it via individual transfer. You can still store it at your Dad's in PA if needs be, he just can't have uncontrolled access to it. $25 Walmart Sentry safe box is suitable for that purpose and a simple notification to the ATF about where it is and you are golden.
FA Gunner
Silent Operator

Post by FA Gunner »

Wait till you get to Texas to start things. Go ahead and find a dealer near where you will be based in Texas, find the suppressor you want (recommend using one of the dealers on the board here), have them transfer the suppressor to the dealer in Texas (will have to wait for the Form 3 to clear), suppressor will probably get to the texas dealer after you get to your post. Get a trust made up and have it notarized (include your dad as a trustee), send in the Form 4 and wait. If you are lucky you will get it back by Christmas.

It wont go any quicker starting the process at your current duty since you will be gone by the time the paperwork clears. I had this happen to me when I was at Fort Campbell while I was deployed. PCS to Kansas as soon as I got back and had to find another dealer there, and had to pay another fee to the new dealer.

I have had no problems moving with my trusts. I have two now since the first one I did I used a long title for it, so when I did a Form 1 for an SBR I created another one with a shorter title since it had to be engraved on the receiver. Go with a simple short title for your trust since you will get hooked on the NFA bug.