How does one remove an item from NFA rolls?

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

BWPerdue
Silent But Deadly

How does one remove an item from NFA rolls?

Post by BWPerdue »

Assuming the item is not destroyed, how does one do this? I have a 10/22 SBR that I want to sell, but it will be easier for me to part it out than try to sell it as an NFA item. Is there are form or do I just write a letter and hope for a response?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: How does one remove an item from NFA rolls?

Post by Bendersquint »

BWPerdue wrote:Assuming the item is not destroyed, how does one do this? I have a 10/22 SBR that I want to sell, but it will be easier for me to part it out than try to sell it as an NFA item. Is there are form or do I just write a letter and hope for a response?
Just send them a letter asking that it be removed from the registry as it is no longer an SBR.

There is no "hoping"; they will respond notifying you of its removal, at that point it is Title1 again and will be treated as such.
BWPerdue
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWPerdue »

Thanks - I didn't know if I should expect a reply or not in that situation. Does the reply take as long as a form approval, or do they get read and processed quicker?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

BWPerdue wrote:Thanks - I didn't know if I should expect a reply or not in that situation. Does the reply take as long as a form approval, or do they get read and processed quicker?
How else would you know that it wasn't still in the registry?

I have seen them take 2 months to be processed all the way up to 4 months. These times occurred within the last year.
BWPerdue
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWPerdue »

That was my point - I didn't know what the process was, so rather than assuming something, I wished to verify it. Thank you, you have been very helpful.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

BWPerdue wrote:That was my point - I didn't know what the process was, so rather than assuming something, I wished to verify it. Thank you, you have been very helpful.
No problem!
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

Bendersquint wrote: How else would you know that it wasn't still in the registry?

I have seen them take 2 months to be processed all the way up to 4 months. These times occurred within the last year.

I removed an item from the registry last year and it took four months for the response.
BWPerdue
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWPerdue »

One last question - what information did you provide - name, obviously, and serial number, but stamp number also? Anything else?

OK, I lied - another question: Do you just phrase it as "SBR X has been permanently modified so that it no longer fits the definition of SBR. Please remove if from your list of NFA items."?