Dear NRA

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

MV10
Silent But Deadly

Re: Dear NRA

Post by MV10 »

copenhagen wrote:
MV10 wrote:Nobody suggested voting strictly along party lines, although it would be damned difficult to give a good reason to have ever voted (D) in the average adult lifetime.

If your vote isn't based primarily on the economy, you've got a screw loose. Period.
Wow. Just wow. So morals, what is right, what is honorable, liberty, private ownership of property, right to self defense, foreign policy, etc... none of that matters- all that matters is cash flow?
Wow. Just Wow. "Primarily." Go look it up, we'll wait.
Modern American political discourse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

copenhagen wrote:
MV10 wrote:Nobody suggested voting strictly along party lines, although it would be damned difficult to give a good reason to have ever voted (D) in the average adult lifetime.

If your vote isn't based primarily on the economy, you've got a screw loose. Period.
Wow. Just wow. So morals, what is right, what is honorable, liberty, private ownership of property, right to self defense, foreign policy, etc... none of that matters- all that matters is cash flow?
There is no such thing as honor, liberty, private ownership of property, right to... and so on, if America ceases to exist because of poor economic policy. Because those other things don't matter? No, its because the threat of death to America is currently coming in an imminent fashion from one particular direction at this moment; and it isn't from rights' erosion or immorality.

That MV10 quote is pure triage.
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

MV10 wrote:
copenhagen wrote:

Wow. Just Wow. "Primarily." Go look it up, we'll wait.
I think we all know what 'primarily' means MV10.
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

TROOPER wrote:
copenhagen wrote:

There is no such thing as honor, liberty, private ownership of property, right to... and so on, if America ceases to exist because of poor economic policy. Because those other things don't matter? No, its because the threat of death to America is currently coming in an imminent fashion from one particular direction at this moment; and it isn't from rights' erosion or immorality.

That MV10 quote is pure triage.
I don't see how Mitt will do anything to stop what you see currently coming, but that is a discussion best started in a different thread. Mitt Romney is no friend of gun owners.

“I believe the people should have the right to bear arms, but I don’t believe that we have to have assault weapons as part of our personal arsenal,” he said on Fox News in 2004.

Yet again, this is what the NRA has ignored and expects us to overlook. We are expected to walk off the cliff like little lemmings for crying out loud. The NRA is actually endorsing a candidate who has vocally, and physically with his pen, supported a permanent assault weapons ban. This is in glaring opposition to the second amendment. That right there is enough to keep me from voting for the man.

Here is some food for thought:

"if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude, that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little if at all inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their rights and those of their fellow citizens." -- The Federalist, No. 29 - Alexander Hamilton

And another:

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." GEORGE WASHINGTON (Address to 1st session of Congress)

And a couple from good ole Patrick Henry:

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." During Virginia Ratification Convention 1788 -Patrick Henry

"Are we at last brought to such an humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defense? Where is the difference between having our arms under our own possesion and under our own direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" - Patrick Henry
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I just voted for Gary Johnson. If I lived in a swing state I would not have done that.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

“In desperate times, much more than anything else, folks need perspective. For perspective brings calm. Calm leads to clear thinking. Clear thinking yields new ideas. And ideas produce the bloom...of an answer. Keep your head and heart clear. Perspective can just as easily be lost as it can be found.”

― Some guy named Andy Andrews
-----
Ick
JacksonBrowne
Silent But Deadly

Post by JacksonBrowne »

silencertalk wrote:I just voted for Gary Johnson. If I lived in a swing state I would not have done that.
Same here
07/02 SOT
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

MV10
Silent But Deadly

Post by MV10 »

Decisions decisions.

Modern American political discourse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

MV10, the point of this thread was to discuss the FACT that both options which have been postulated to these United States have a history of being anti-gun, and to question the NRA's political alliance with Governor Romney.

If you want to discuss how you feel that President Obama is a Muslim or associated with the Black Panthers- why don't you start your own thread?

It doesn't matter what you point out about President Obama, you can't change Governor Romney's voting record and history. He is no friend of gun owners.
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

copenhagen wrote:It doesn't matter what you point out about Governor Romney, you can't change President Obama's stance on firearms. He is no friend of gun owners.
Fixed it for you

As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
Sleeper362
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sleeper362 »

copenhagen wrote:MV10, the point of this thread was to discuss the FACT that both options which have been postulated to these United States have a history of being anti-gun, and to question the NRA's political alliance with Governor Romney.

If you want to discuss how you feel that President Obama is a Muslim or associated with the Black Panthers- why don't you start your own thread?

It doesn't matter what you point out about President Obama, you can't change Governor Romney's voting record and history. He is no friend of gun owners.
This is the internet. Objective evidence and critical thought have no business being in here. Good news is that my wife saw the debate last week and got NO confidence from either candidate upholding my 2A rights and gave me the go ahead to purchase an REPR and a G19.
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

WhisperFan wrote:
copenhagen wrote:It doesn't matter what you point out about Governor Romney, you can't change President Obama's stance on firearms. He is no friend of gun owners.
Fixed it for you

WhisperFan, neither are a friend of gun owners. I don't recall ever making any statements concerning President Obama being progun- I have merely pointed to the factual evidence that exists which shows that Governor Romney has a history of anti-gun positions/votes. Apparently some of you would rather wish this away, but you cannot.

Here's a little short story which I believe is good to remember:

Once a boy was up on a mountain peak standing in the snow, holding his collar up against the wind, and he happened upon a Cobra. The boy looked at the serpent as it shivered.
“Little boy, I’m freezing. Please take me down the mountain where it is warm.”
The boy answered, “No, you are a poisonous snake and you will bite me if I try to pick you up. Even if you don’t then you will surely bite me when you are warm.”
The snake answered back, “No if you spare my life I will not bite you. You have my promise.”
The boy considered this all for a moment then carefully he picked the adder up and placed it in his satchel and began his hike down the slope. Soon he was home and he took the snake and placed him near the fire. Before long the snake began to warm and move around. The boy seeing how beautiful it was began to stroke its scaly skin. Then the snake bit him.
Incredulous the boy looked at his swelling arm and cried out, “but you promised not to bite me. Now I will die. Why did you bite me?”
To which the serpent answered, “You knew what I was when you picked me up.”
Last edited by copenhagen on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

Sleeper362 wrote:
copenhagen wrote:MV10, the point of this thread was to discuss the FACT that both options which have been postulated to these United States have a history of being anti-gun, and to question the NRA's political alliance with Governor Romney.

This is the internet. Objective evidence and critical thought have no business being in here. Good news is that my wife saw the debate last week and got NO confidence from either candidate upholding my 2A rights and gave me the go ahead to purchase an REPR and a G19.

Awesome!
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

copenhagen wrote:Here's a little short story which I believe is good to remember:

Once a boy was up on a mountain peak standing in the snow, holding his collar up against the wind, and he happened upon a Cobra. The boy looked at the serpent as it shivered.
“Little boy, I’m freezing. Please take me down the mountain where it is warm.”
The boy answered, “No, you are a poisonous snake and you will bite me if I try to pick you up. Even if you don’t then you will surely bite me when you are warm.”
The snake answered back, “No if you spare my life I will not bite you. You have my promise.”
The boy considered this all for a moment then carefully he picked the adder up and placed it in his satchel and began his hike down the slope. Soon he was home and he took the snake and placed him near the fire. Before long the snake began to warm and move around. The boy seeing how beautiful it was began to stroke its scaly skin. Then the snake bit him.
Incredulous the boy looked at his swelling arm and cried out, “but you promised not to bite me. Now I will die. Why did you bite me?”
To which the serpent answered, “You knew what I was when you picked me up.”
Great story, and a good moral!

Too bad that there are other choices too!
Obama - which is bad for gun owners, bad for the economy, bad for business owners, bad for freedom, bad for personal property rights ..... bad for America
Romney - which may be bad, or may not be bad ..... depending on how much pressure is put on him to toe the line with the basic tenants of the party.
A third party candidate - If you live in a state that will most certainly go for Romne, or will most certainly go for Obama .... have at it. Make your 'statement' (not that anyone will hear) ... if if it makes you feel good - hey, go ahead! But if you are someone who is a conservative, and you live in a state where your vote might matter, your vote might make the difference .... and you throw it away - to someone that has no chance of winning ... you are taking a vote away from someone the 'might' be OK and assisting someone you know to be 'not OK'

That is insane!
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

Whisperfan, it would be my opinion that a vote for either Romney, or Obama, is a thrown away vote, as both individuals are, by their records, unequivocally opposed to our right to own an AR15.
Sleeper362
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sleeper362 »

Cope I think this is what is lost on most people. To those of us who have our eyes open and believe that actions speak louder than words, voting for Romney is the exact same thing as voting for Obama. There is no lesser of two evils.