Affects of 1:9 on lighter bullets?

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

GoJohnnyGo
Silent But Deadly

Affects of 1:9 on lighter bullets?

Post by GoJohnnyGo »

I've been considering getting a 1:9 barrel for my 10/22 so I can shoot the aguila sss but I don't want to limit myself to only that round. How would this twist rate affect other grain bullets? Mostly I'd shoot subs such as winchester 40gr cones and remington subs with the occasional high velocity 30 gr. Also, right now I shoot a lot of Winchester 29gr CB match .22 Longs. What would the impact be on this round as I have quite a few of these?
GoJohnnyGo
Silent But Deadly

Re: Affects of 1:9 on lighter bullets?

Post by GoJohnnyGo »

Nothing? Maybe I should try again.
As I have been looking into this I have found that some people talk about light bullets being "overstabilized" in barrels with a high twist rate. Can anyone here elaborate on what the affect of this is and how it would impact a .22 LR? I ask because even though overstabilization is talked about elsewhere nobody seems to have a solid idea of what it, in practice, means.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

I can take a guess.

If I understand the concerns regarding over-stabilization it's all about the relation of the axis of the bullet in regard to the flight path. In other words (*I think*), as the path of the bullet turns downward so should an optimally stabilized bullet but an over-stabilized bullet will remain pointed in the same direction as the barrel instead of turning to follow the flight path.

I could be completely misrepresenting the "facts" but if I have the gist of it correctly then I tend to believe concerns about over-stabilization are overrated unless you're dropping .308s on meat pumpkins past 800 yards.

There are many ways to calculate "optimum" twist but I'm not aware of anything out there that can quantify "over-stabilization".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

The barrels are easy to switch, try that or have fun building another 10/22 with a different twist barrel. :D
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
GoJohnnyGo
Silent But Deadly

Post by GoJohnnyGo »

doubloon wrote:I can take a guess.

If I understand the concerns regarding over-stabilization it's all about the relation of the axis of the bullet in regard to the flight path. In other words (*I think*), as the path of the bullet turns downward so should an optimally stabilized bullet but an over-stabilized bullet will remain pointed in the same direction as the barrel instead of turning to follow the flight path.

I could be completely misrepresenting the "facts" but if I have the gist of it correctly then I tend to believe concerns about over-stabilization are overrated unless you're dropping .308s on meat pumpkins past 800 yards.

There are many ways to calculate "optimum" twist but I'm not aware of anything out there that can quantify "over-stabilization".
That's a great response, I appreciate it. I think you may be onto something with concerns being overrated this is for a .22 that will mostly be shot under 100 yds.
GoJohnnyGo
Silent But Deadly

Post by GoJohnnyGo »

Hush, I know what you're saying, I'll probably end up with three by the time it's all said and done. Right now all I need is a stripped reciever and I've got enough parts in my hallway closet to put together another complete 10/22. It's a real addicting gun. I plan to get the Vq stainless reciever and use my ruger original to get that one going. I've put a lot of thought in the rifle and want the best barrel I can get ffor shooting subs, I just don't want to buy something that will only shoot Aguila's.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

GoJohnnyGo wrote:...
That's a great response, I appreciate it. ...
Thanks, it's really just a guess. I'm quite certain there are quite a few people on this forum who know a hell of a lot more about this subject than me so we'll see if it holds water.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Don't forget to check out rimfirecentral.com there's a lot of helpful people there. :)
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
GoJohnnyGo
Silent But Deadly

Post by GoJohnnyGo »

Oh yeah, I'm a big-time fan of rimfirecentral. a guy over there hand made my stock, it's a super badass board.
Hermit
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hermit »

Hush wrote:The barrels are easy to switch, try that or have fun building another 10/22 with a different twist barrel. :D
That's what I did. Have a 10/22 deluxe with a 1:9 and a standard 10/22 with a standard twist. But then again I don't put $2K into a fucking 10/22 either. They don't have to look like Luke Starwalkers gun to perform. Both are very accurate. Hermit
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
GlockBuyer
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GlockBuyer »

The answer to your original question is buy your barrel. Subsonic's (even the lighter ones like the standard 40 grain or whatever) should do very well in the faster 1:9 Twist so NO you aren't limited to the 60grain SSS and you don't need to change barrels just because you want to shoot some regular crap. If you have concerns about a specific load or bullet or lot or whatever - then shoot some cardboard at different distances to make sure they are cutting nice clean holes............
GoJohnnyGo
Silent But Deadly

Post by GoJohnnyGo »

GlockBuyer wrote:The answer to your original question is buy your barrel. Subsonic's (even the lighter ones like the standard 40 grain or whatever) should do very well in the faster 1:9 Twist so NO you aren't limited to the 60grain SSS and you don't need to change barrels just because you want to shoot some regular crap. If you have concerns about a specific load or bullet or lot or whatever - then shoot some cardboard at different distances to make sure they are cutting nice clean holes............

Thanks, This helps.
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

I've got a Tac-innovations 1:9 10/22 barrel and it's a one hole shooter at 25yrs with SSS. As soon as I shoot CCI standard through it, the group opens up to at least an inch or more.

I've personally found that lighter rounds through the 1:9 don't do well at all.

I leave it as a dedicated gun.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
Hatchetjoe
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hatchetjoe »

I read an article in the 80's in a magazine called Firepower where they tested this exact theory. The result was actually about the lighter faster rounds thru a .22LR getting deformed and mishaped as the rifling got faster. They tested all this by shooting bullets into a pool and recovering them, there were also a good number of pictures.
panaceabeachbum
Silent Operator

Post by panaceabeachbum »

Ive got all the firepowers, can you remember roughly which issue I need to dig out?

I have been shooting 1:9 bbls in the 10/22 for a number of years and have never noticed anything unsual , some of the cheap bulk pack , most notably the Winchester, seems to have terrible fliers and is unusable in the 1/9 . I have had very good results with rem and federal bulk packs as well as the cci mini mag and std velocity
RICHARD THOMPSON
www.thompsonmachine.net
Buzduk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Buzduk »

On the flip side, what kind of accuracy can i expect out of the SSS with a 19" 1 in 16 volquartsen?
Matt
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201
http://form4.org/