Blocking a specific forum?

Post here if you have problems or suggestions. We will post announcements here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

holepoker
Silent Operator

Blocking a specific forum?

Post by holepoker »

Is there any way to ignore a specific forum?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Blocking a specific forum?

Post by Bendersquint »

Nope!

I wish we could, I would block the news feed forum to start with.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

According to Robert there isn't a way to do it with this forum software.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Is it so hard to just skip over it?

Yes, some do not care for it and some do.

I'll tell you what, I'll take a poll and let the members of the forum decide and I'll abide by it. Fair enough?
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

This is certainly strange behavior, what in the world is wrong with you people? Put hush on your ignore list or something.

Just skip the other forums and be done with it.

If I was sitting with a group of friends at dinner and someone kept coming up and insulting Hush it wouldn't take long for me to say something. Same situation here, bug off.

It is your right to bawl about news posts all you want and there is nothign I can do abou it...... but hasn't this insulting behavior gone far enough?
-----
Ick
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo »

ick wrote:Put hush on your ignore list or something.

The forum software does not permit you to put a moderator on 'ignore'.

mbogo
7 stamps and 1 in jail :mrgreen:
jt526
Silent But Deadly

Post by jt526 »

Yep, no ignore, it is annoying.
Stupid, stupid NFA items.
Waveman
Silent Operator

Post by Waveman »

Just go to the news forum and select mark forum read. Then go back to home screen and select view unread posts. No news story posts will be displayed. Having said that ,sometimes Hush has some interesting posts.
mcinfantry
Silent But Deadly

Post by mcinfantry »

i wish there was a way to get someone to learn what i like, then highlight only the threads i am interested in
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

I posted this in another thread, it works like an ignore if you don't mind a little typing and bookmarking your preferences.

Give this link a try and save it to your bookmarks/favorites if you like it.

http://tinyurl.com/SilencerTalkNew-NoNews

That search is very customizable, the actual URL that generates a list of all new posts except the News subforum is below.

You can create one of your own just by stringing together all the forum IDs you care about

Code: Select all

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/search.php?search_id=newposts&fid[]=2&fid[]=5&fid[]=10&fid[]=13&fid[]=4&fid[]=83&fid[]=110&fid[]=102&fid[]=17&fid[]=64&fid[]=75&fid[]=81&fid[]=126&fid[]=74&fid[]=103&fid[]=8&fid[]=86&fid[]=94&fid[]=107&fid[]=106&fid[]=91&fid[]=101&fid[]=90&fid[]=127&fid[]=105&fid[]=87&fid[]=133&fid[]=11&fid[]=134&fid[]=65&fid[]=56&fid[]=57&fid[]=59&fid[]=70&fid[]=71&fid[]=76&fid[]=77&fid[]=78&fid[]=82&fid[]=72&fid[]=80&fid[]=109&fid[]=111&fid[]=12&fid[]=18&fid[]=25&fid[]=52&fid[]=53&fid[]=54&fid[]=55&fid[]=73&fid[]=24&fid[]=22&fid[]=112&fid[]=9&fid[]=68&fid[]=3&fid[]=16&fid[]=130&fid[]=104&fid[]=97&fid[]=129&fid[]=100&fid[]=135&fid[]=45&fid[]=46&fid[]=19&fid[]=27&fid[]=28&fid[]=29&fid[]=30&fid[]=31&fid[]=32&fid[]=33&fid[]=34&fid[]=35&fid[]=36&fid[]=37
This one is everything except New (&fid[]=132) and Artistic Images (&fid[]=16)

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/search.php?search_id=newposts&fid[]=2&fid[]=5&fid[]=10&fid[]=13&fid[]=4&fid[]=83&fid[]=110&fid[]=102&fid[]=17&fid[]=64&fid[]=75&fid[]=81&fid[]=126&fid[]=74&fid[]=103&fid[]=8&fid[]=86&fid[]=94&fid[]=107&fid[]=106&fid[]=91&fid[]=101&fid[]=90&fid[]=127&fid[]=105&fid[]=87&fid[]=133&fid[]=11&fid[]=134&fid[]=65&fid[]=56&fid[]=57&fid[]=59&fid[]=70&fid[]=71&fid[]=76&fid[]=77&fid[]=78&fid[]=82&fid[]=72&fid[]=80&fid[]=109&fid[]=111&fid[]=12&fid[]=18&fid[]=25&fid[]=52&fid[]=53&fid[]=54&fid[]=55&fid[]=73&fid[]=24&fid[]=22&fid[]=112&fid[]=9&fid[]=68&fid[]=3&fid[]=130&fid[]=104&fid[]=97&fid[]=129&fid[]=100&fid[]=135&fid[]=45&fid[]=46&fid[]=19&fid[]=27&fid[]=28&fid[]=29&fid[]=30&fid[]=31&fid[]=32&fid[]=33&fid[]=34&fid[]=35&fid[]=36&fid[]=37
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

Waveman wrote:Just go to the news forum and select mark forum read. Then go back to home screen and select view unread posts. No news story posts will be displayed. Having said that ,sometimes Hush has some interesting posts.
I'm not seeing how to do that. How do I keep the crap that is the news section hidden so that those annoying posts do not come up when I click on the "view new posts" button?

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo »

You have to bookmark the search argument above, then click on it when you want to view the new posts.

George
7 stamps and 1 in jail :mrgreen:
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

why not just have the "news feed" a link to guns.com and ttag. all the stories from there get linked here.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

ranb wrote:
Waveman wrote:Just go to the news forum and select mark forum read. Then go back to home screen and select view unread posts. No news story posts will be displayed. Having said that ,sometimes Hush has some interesting posts.
I'm not seeing how to do that. How do I keep the crap that is the news section hidden so that those annoying posts do not come up when I click on the "view new posts" button?

Ranb
But it doesn't work if you select "View new posts" only if you select "View unread posts"
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

bakerjw wrote:According to Robert there isn't a way to do it with this forum software.
The way to do it would be to alter the search.php source.

First copy the case for "newposts" below and use it to create a new case called "nonewsposts" something like the modification below ... untested just a stab

Then all you have to do is search using a search_id=nonewsposts ... in theory ... I could install phpbb and test it but I'm lazy

413              case 'newposts':
 414                  $l_search_title = $user->lang['SEARCH_NEW'];
 415                  // force sorting
 416                  $show_results = (request_var('sr', 'topics') == 'posts') ? 'posts' : 'topics';
 417                  $sort_key = 't';
 418                  $sort_dir = 'd';
 419                  $sort_by_sql['t'] = ($show_results == 'posts') ? 'p.post_time' : 't.topic_last_post_time';
 420                  $sql_sort = 'ORDER BY ' . $sort_by_sql[$sort_key] . (($sort_dir == 'a') ? ' ASC' : ' DESC');
 422                  gen_sort_selects($limit_days, $sort_by_text, $sort_days, $sort_key, $sort_dir, $s_limit_days, $s_sort_key, $s_sort_dir, $u_sort_param);
 423                  $s_sort_key = $s_sort_dir = $u_sort_param = $s_limit_days = '';
 425                  if ($show_results == 'posts')
 426                  {
 427                      $sql = 'SELECT p.post_id
 428                          FROM ' . POSTS_TABLE . ' p
 429                          WHERE p.post_time > ' . $user->data['user_lastvisit'] . "
 430                              $m_approve_fid_sql
 431                              " . ((sizeof($ex_fid_ary)) ? ' AND ' . $db->sql_in_set('p.forum_id', $ex_fid_ary, true) : '') . "
 432                          $sql_sort";
 433                      $field = 'post_id';
 434                  }
 435                  else
 436                  {
 437                      $sql = 'SELECT t.topic_id
 438                          FROM ' . TOPICS_TABLE . ' t
 439                          WHERE t.topic_last_post_time > ' . $user->data['user_lastvisit'] . '
 440                              AND t.topic_moved_id = 0
 441                              ' . str_replace(array('p.', 'post_'), array('t.', 'topic_'), $m_approve_fid_sql) . '
 442                              ' . ((sizeof($ex_fid_ary)) ? 'AND ' . $db->sql_in_set('t.forum_id', $ex_fid_ary, true) : '') . "
 443                          $sql_sort";
 444  /*
 445          [Fix] queued replies missing from "view new posts" (Bug #42705 - Patch by Paul)
 446          - Creates temporary table, query is far from optimized
 448                      $sql = 'SELECT t.topic_id
 449                          FROM ' . TOPICS_TABLE . ' t, ' . POSTS_TABLE . ' p
 450                          WHERE p.post_time > ' . $user->data['user_lastvisit'] . '
 451                              AND t.topic_id = p.topic_id
 452                              AND t.topic_moved_id = 0
 453                              ' . $m_approve_fid_sql . '
 454                              ' . ((sizeof($ex_fid_ary)) ? 'AND ' . $db->sql_in_set('t.forum_id', $ex_fid_ary, true) : '') . "
 455                          GROUP BY t.topic_id
 456                          $sql_sort";
 457  */
 458                      $field = 'topic_id';
 459                  }
 460              break;

413              case 'nonewsposts':
 414                  $l_search_title = $user->lang['SEARCH_NEW'];
 415                  // force sorting
 416                  $show_results = (request_var('sr', 'topics') == 'posts') ? 'posts' : 'topics';
 417                  $sort_key = 't';
 418                  $sort_dir = 'd';
 419                  $sort_by_sql['t'] = ($show_results == 'posts') ? 'p.post_time' : 't.topic_last_post_time';
 420                  $sql_sort = 'ORDER BY ' . $sort_by_sql[$sort_key] . (($sort_dir == 'a') ? ' ASC' : ' DESC');
 422                  gen_sort_selects($limit_days, $sort_by_text, $sort_days, $sort_key, $sort_dir, $s_limit_days, $s_sort_key, $s_sort_dir, $u_sort_param);
 423                  $s_sort_key = $s_sort_dir = $u_sort_param = $s_limit_days = '';
 425                  if ($show_results == 'posts')
 426                  {
 427                      $sql = 'SELECT p.post_id
 428                          FROM ' . POSTS_TABLE . ' p
 429                          WHERE p.post_time > ' . $user->data['user_lastvisit'] . "
new line =>                   AND p.forum_id != 132
 430                              $m_approve_fid_sql
 431                              " . ((sizeof($ex_fid_ary)) ? ' AND ' . $db->sql_in_set('p.forum_id', $ex_fid_ary, true) : '') . "
 432                          $sql_sort";
 433                      $field = 'post_id';
 434                  }
 435                  else
 436                  {
 437                      $sql = 'SELECT t.topic_id
 438                          FROM ' . TOPICS_TABLE . ' t
 439                          WHERE t.topic_last_post_time > ' . $user->data['user_lastvisit'] . '
 440                              AND t.topic_moved_id = 0
new line =>                   AND t.forum_id != 132
 441                              ' . str_replace(array('p.', 'post_'), array('t.', 'topic_'), $m_approve_fid_sql) . '
 442                              ' . ((sizeof($ex_fid_ary)) ? 'AND ' . $db->sql_in_set('t.forum_id', $ex_fid_ary, true) : '') . "
 443                          $sql_sort";
 444  /*
 445          [Fix] queued replies missing from "view new posts" (Bug #42705 - Patch by Paul)
 446          - Creates temporary table, query is far from optimized
 448                      $sql = 'SELECT t.topic_id
 449                          FROM ' . TOPICS_TABLE . ' t, ' . POSTS_TABLE . ' p
 450                          WHERE p.post_time > ' . $user->data['user_lastvisit'] . '
 451                              AND t.topic_id = p.topic_id
 452                              AND t.topic_moved_id = 0
 453                              ' . $m_approve_fid_sql . '
 454                              ' . ((sizeof($ex_fid_ary)) ? 'AND ' . $db->sql_in_set('t.forum_id', $ex_fid_ary, true) : '') . "
 455                          GROUP BY t.topic_id
 456                          $sql_sort";
 457  */
 458                      $field = 'topic_id';
 459                  }
 460              break;
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

doubloon wrote:But it doesn't work if you select "View new posts" only if you select "View unread posts"
Thanks, not sure how I missed that.

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Probably the same way I missed it the first two times I looked for it. :D
MV10
Silent But Deadly

Post by MV10 »

srt-4_uk wrote:why not just have the "news feed" a link to guns.com and ttag. all the stories from there get linked here.
Mostly Fox, actually, and what annoys me about them is that about 90% link to something else.

I was a bit taken aback by the huge volume of news stories when I first came here, but I have found there is a lot of good discussion there.
Modern American political discourse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio
Griz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Griz »

I started visiting here again lately and quickly remembered why SilencerTalk fell off of my daily rotation. I click "View Active Topics" and the silencer related posts are lost in a sea of spam.

Would it be so hard to ask the people who like cutting and pasting news stories to use an alternate login that isn't a moderator so that they can be added to ignore lists?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Griz wrote:I started visiting here again lately and quickly remembered why SilencerTalk fell off of my daily rotation. I click "View Active Topics" and the silencer related posts are lost in a sea of spam.

Would it be so hard to ask the people who like cutting and pasting news stories to use an alternate login that isn't a moderator so that they can be added to ignore lists?
That is an excellent idea.

What about this suggestion Hush? Make the news logon HUSH-NEWS?
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

Hush is like our Drudge. He was offline for a few days around Christmas and there was very little activity in most of the forums. I can see how it is a pain if you look for new posts, but I usually start out on the moderation pages so I rarely see it,.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
snapshot
Senior Silent Operator

Post by snapshot »

bakerjw wrote:Hush is like our Drudge. He was offline for a few days around Christmas and there was very little activity in most of the forums. I can see how it is a pain if you look for new posts, but I usually start out on the moderation pages so I rarely see it,.
I think that the news feed is an excellent source of discussion on this site that also expands to other forums as well. Especially during these times. The low activity during the holidays is probably just that...holidays. The Hush blackout is what got me active on here. Sorry guys :D , but I'm not a moderator and can easily be ignored.
"And remember, the most dangerous thing in the world is still ignorance." - RYP
Griz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Griz »

snapshot wrote:I think that the news feed is an excellent source of discussion on this site that also expands to other forums as well.
I agree, it can be and I sometimes venture into the News forum for discussion about News. That doesn't make it any less annoying at other times when it is a flood of spam getting in the way of silencer talk.
kingjamez
Senior Silent Operator

Post by kingjamez »

Bendersquint wrote:
Griz wrote:I started visiting here again lately and quickly remembered why SilencerTalk fell off of my daily rotation. I click "View Active Topics" and the silencer related posts are lost in a sea of spam.

That is an excellent idea.

What about this suggestion Hush? Make the news logon HUSH-NEWS?
+2. Best. Idea. Ever.
My Form 1 Monocore build on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH37sv2ySHmB1tTivFYIF8y2CW8rmiZRi
finn
Silent But Deadly

Post by finn »

There may be a greasemonkey script. Userscripts.org is loaded with vbulletin stuff.