Who's got some rules of thumb for AG specific devices?

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

derek_ecco

Who's got some rules of thumb for AG specific devices?

Post by derek_ecco »

Biggest differneces between powder burning suppressors, and air guns suppressors, AFAIK, are controlling the heat, and much higher energy pulse.

The heat is handled by material choice, an since airguns dont generate heat, the list of materials is longer than for the pyro devices.

Energy pulse? definitley longer than a pyro round, but not as strong. So does that mean you need a different set of internals spacing? Random or cafefully planned? Stripper cone instead of a blast bafflle? Shape of internals can be optimized for pnuematic use? Like what?

I'm after a shroud that will "control" the muzzle blast to the point of not hearing it at all, apparently there are some subtlties that I'm not aware of, or dont understand.
Did you hear that?
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Re: Who's got some rules of thumb for AG specific devices?

Post by Hush »

Energy pulse? definitley longer than a pyro round, but not as strong. So does that mean you need a different set of internals spacing? Random or cafefully planned?
the pulse is like a wave that you have to break up by having baffles placed irregularly, not even lengths apart.

Sound absorbing material like felt is also your friend.

Good luck.

ps talking about a screw on can now, not a shrouded barrel.
Last edited by Hush on Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
derek_ecco

Post by derek_ecco »

I was going with irregularly space baffles, that seemed intuitive.

Sound absorbing material..... hmmm ....

have to look into that......
Did you hear that?
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

I own a Benjamin Marauder and Discovery.

The Discovery has no shroud or baffles, the Marauder has a shroud with a stack of four evenly spaced plastic "cup" baffles ... it's stupid simple.

The Discovery sounds like a .22 short, you almost feel like you want hearing protection when you shoot it. From what I understand this is typical of many of the more powerful non-shrouded PCPs.

On the Marauder, the hammer strike is the loudest thing about the gun. The Marauder is a more powerful gun but the pellet leaving the barrel is so quiet the first time I shot it I pulled the bolt back, took the magazine out and shined a light down the barrel to see if the pellet got stuck. Then I thought maybe the magazine had malfunctioned so I hand loaded a pellet into the breech but paid very close attention to the dust downrange on the second shot. Same exact effect, the hammer strike was virtually the only sound I heard but this time I saw the dust kick up down range.

The short summary is, I don't think you need a complicated baffle stack to suppress an air gun. A few flat fender washers in a tube separated by spacers would seem to do the trick based on the Marauder experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
derek_ecco

Post by derek_ecco »

[quote="doubloon"]I
The short summary is, I don't think you need a complicated baffle stack to suppress an air gun. A few flat fender washers in a tube separated by spacers would seem to do the trick based on the Marauder experience.
quote]

My Mrod is very quiet. But Ihave to wornder how much R&D Crosman did to get it that way.

And thats my task over the weekend: find some baffles to fit the tube (have several tubes to try...) and get ti to stupid quiet..... or just order a shroud and baffles from crosman..... :mrgreen:
Did you hear that?