Does this make me an asshole?

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade

Maser
Silent But Deadly

Does this make me an asshole?

Post by Maser »

So last night out of pure boredom waiting for a stream to start, I was channel surfing on TV and stopped on Animal Planet. Was a show about some idiot who kept a hippo as a pet and then in the end the hippo attacks and kills him. Now the thing that is stunning is why did friends and family act all surprised that this would eventually happen? It's not just that incident, but countless others. Such as Dale Earnhardt's death or Steve Irwin's death and every other person who puts themselves in dangerous situations like that. Why do friends and family have to act all surprised? I'm not saying their deaths aren't sad or that I wish death upon them, but what's with all the acts of being surprised? I mean if I was to become a snake charmer and one day I got bit by a bunch of snakes at once and died from it, why would there need to be any acts of being surprised over it? It's not like it was some random act that I didn't put myself into. :roll:

Rant over.
My intelligence is like a suppressed rimfire pistol. You may not be able to hear it, but it certainly always hits its mark.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Re: Does this make me an asshole?

Post by 66427vette »

Guess we are both assholes.
warjunky1428
Silent But Deadly

Post by warjunky1428 »

I still don't understand the stigma and reactions people have over any death. Everyone must die, no one escapes death.

I wish to have my funeral before I die, a great feast of meat and mead celebrating life and my inevitable death. Oh wait, I guess that's what birthday parties are supposed to be. I guess I should reevaluate what I do for those...
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
-- Robert A. Heinlein, "Beyond This Horizon", 1942
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

When Steve Irwin got speared by the ray I laughed my ass off every time they retold the story. My wife is all do you not have any feelings? Of course I just do not think she got the irony as I did.

So put me in the asshole category to.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
warjunky1428
Silent But Deadly

Post by warjunky1428 »

rogerme wrote:When Steve Irwin got speared by the ray I laughed my ass off every time they retold the story. My wife is all do you not have any feelings? Of course I just do not think she got the irony as I did.

He played Russian Roulette with nature for his entire life. Sooner or later it was bound to happen. Though I will give him this, he knew the risks, flirted with the possibility every time, dedicated his life to a purpose, and went out doing what he loved. Can't bash a man for that, few have ever accomplished a fraction of what he did and how much he truly lived his life.
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
-- Robert A. Heinlein, "Beyond This Horizon", 1942
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

He's an idiot who lived in a village full of idiots and he died an idiot's death.

Still not a rant though. What Trooper does from time to time is a rant, even continuity and 700PSS to a degree and on occasion.

What you do, on the rare occasion you pull it off, is kind of a dry Jerry Seinfeld, neither bombastic or declamatory.

Definition of RANT
intransitive verb
: to talk in a noisy, excited, or declamatory manner
: to scold vehemently
transitive verb
: to utter in a bombastic declamatory fashion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

warjunky1428 wrote: He played Russian Roulette with nature for his entire life. Sooner or later it was bound to happen.

yeah I always figured that he would have been bitten by one of the snakes that he usually fucks with!
finn
Silent But Deadly

Post by finn »

Steve Irwin died the way he lived. With animals in his heart.
RWBlue
Silent But Deadly

Post by RWBlue »

Maser wrote:So last night out of pure boredom waiting for a stream to start, I was channel surfing on TV and stopped on Animal Planet. Was a show about some idiot who kept a hippo as a pet and then in the end the hippo attacks and kills him. Now the thing that is stunning is why did friends and family act all surprised that this would eventually happen? It's not just that incident, but countless others. Such as Dale Earnhardt's death or Steve Irwin's death and every other person who puts themselves in dangerous situations like that. Why do friends and family have to act all surprised? I'm not saying their deaths aren't sad or that I wish death upon them, but what's with all the acts of being surprised? I mean if I was to become a snake charmer and one day I got bit by a bunch of snakes at once and died from it, why would there need to be any acts of being surprised over it? It's not like it was some random act that I didn't put myself into. :roll:

Rant over.

What if someone is in the military and gets blown up?
ROFuher
Silent But Deadly

Post by ROFuher »

RWBlue wrote:

What if someone is in the military and gets blown up?
I wouldn't put this is an accident category. Just because the military is volunteer, doesn't mean they choose to go on patrol as the best place to be. We have chosen to expend them for our political interests. The debate over those interests being valid is a different topic.

The the grief must range from 'It could have been me', for his brothers in arms, to 'none of you pricks are worth the sacrifice', from his family. I'll accept that, or any other feelings in between, when someone falls for us.

Soldier, Sailor, Marine, Airman--they don't generally make the daredevil category IMHO. They don't take risks for TV ratings, a multi-million doubloon contract, or the thrill of keeping what the neighbors don't have.
continuity-TROOPER, 2016
Maser
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maser »

RWBlue wrote: What if someone is in the military and gets blown up?
Are you talking about now or from Vietnam era? See, it was the draft that caused us to lose the war. More people were there that didn't want to be there than there were people who wanted to be there. So it's understandable that if a draftee was thrown into battle against their own wishes and was killed in battle that it would be a shock/surprise to their friends and family. HOWEVER, when you are talking about those who actually volunteered for Military service, both them and their friends/family knew what the hazards were and knew the worst possible outcome. They accepted that.

This holds true today because the draft will NEVER be re-enlisted due to the simple fact that America doesn't want to lose another war and wants people to serve who actually WANT to serve. That's what makes a true Soldier. Ask yourself this question. Would you rather serve next to a guy who was dedicated to the cause and has faith in America and everything she stands for and chose to serve, or would you want to serve next to an emo kid who barely turned 18 and is only 90 pounds soaking wet and has no desire to be their to begin with but was forced to by the draft? I think the answer is rather simple.

So to answer your question, Military service is a dangerous job that has it's lethal hazards to it and seeing as friends and family of those who are serving know the dangers of it, it does fit in the category of this thread. If your question was a legit question, I hope I answered it as best as I could, but if it was a troll question about being anti-Military, you're barking up the wrong tree here. I come from a Military family and am around Marines on a daily basis. There is NOT a single Military family who exists who doesn't know the dangers of their loved ones serving.
My intelligence is like a suppressed rimfire pistol. You may not be able to hear it, but it certainly always hits its mark.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

The guy had a fucking HIPPO as a pet? Of course the beast will one day take a chomp out of him.

I've never understood the allure of having a great cat (lion, tiger), a bear, poisonous reptiles, etc as pets. You tube is full of incidents where the owner is petting the animal, and suddenly the animal goes bat-s--t crazy and starts to eat the guy.
Bluewidowr1

Post by Bluewidowr1 »

Baffled wrote:The guy had a fucking HIPPO as a pet?
Yeah what the hell was he thinking, every one knows hippos are hungry, hungry! :lol:
jb03

Post by jb03 »

finn wrote:Steve Irwin died the way he lived. With animals in his heart.
You sir get 10 points.

On the military issue, I will reiterate what was mentioned above. They are not doing it to get notoriety, make millions, or for a TV show. Most of them are doing it out of a sense of patriotism. Thank you to all of them putting their life on the line so I can sit here in my recliner and discuss it. Thank you for protecting ALL our freedoms.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

I don't think I have observed surprise so much as... shock. Perhaps that is a fine line. I see this quite a bit as I go to one or two funeral homes per month. The majority of those deaths are no surprise to anyone, yet people are in shock... and could be described as "surprised".

You can watch the performance of a Flying Wallenda and you know that there is danger, but when you actually SEE the sudden and accidental death it is, at the core, shocking.

After all death is something each of us KNOWS about yet... not personally familiar with. When we consider the sudden occurrence for someone else of something we know is coming for us perhaps there is some "surprise"... but perhaps it is more adequately described as shock.

Besides, in this superficial world people only give passing deference to logical and obvious outcomes. They act surprised when little Timmy turns out to be a nightmare for society as if it was somehow not foreseeable. Little Timmy's final rampage ends up being a surprise to them, and a shock for everyone else wiping up blood and picking up the pieces.
-----
Ick
alasdair.b

Post by alasdair.b »

no surprise at being killed by a hippo ( they kill more people than lions in africa ,after all-just not as bad as crocs )
it's the outpouring of sympathy from complete strangers i can't understand-- family and friends yes, strangers ???

perfect example in the UK was when Princess Diana died, public displays of mourning from complete strangers ???? WTF
Dan
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dan »

am I the only one annoyed that they have that event in multiple angles in 1080hd but wont release the footage?

probably qualifies me for the asshole category
rogerme wrote:When Steve Irwin got speared by the ray I laughed my ass off every time they retold the story. My wife is all do you not have any feelings? Of course I just do not think she got the irony as I did.

ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

You havent seen the footage of Steve Irwin killed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
-----
Ick
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

^^ A Rick Astley gay-assed video? Did I miss some subtle, ironic connection?
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

The question is, did I get doubloon to click on the link and "Does this make me an....."
-----
Ick
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

doubloon wrote:Rick Rolling
I feel fortunate that I am not such an internet geek, that I have...

A) Never heard of RickRolling, DuckRolling, or "Me Gusta" memes until today; and
B) Couldn't give a flying horse F--k over any of it. ;)

After my kids wasted 5 years of their lives playing "World of Warcraft", I have the utmost satisfaction of reminding them of it. "Hey, nice job with WoW. Way to exercise the grey matter. I couldn't think of a better way for you to spend your adolescence... wish I had WoW when I was a kid. All I had was running through the woods with my buddies, flying R/C models, working in my Dad's shop, hunting, chasing girls, and even reading books. I feel so deprived." :lol:
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

I wouldn't have posted the link had it not been for the tie-in about "does this make me an....".

Strangely enough the first time I was made aware of this Rick-Roll thing was on ST. I knew nothing about it before I saw it on ST and the ONLY place I have observed it since is also on ST.

Congrats, I guess that means you have found your WoW equivalent. You are wasting your time on the internet posting to gun forums. Does that silliness make you an....?

Welcome to the world of hobbies.
-----
Ick
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

A few years back, someone here posted a Rick Roll site that essentially locked your browser and made it impossible to regain control without closing the browser. They were severely chastised for it.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

ick wrote:I wouldn't have posted the link had it not been for the tie-in about "does this make me an....".

Strangely enough the first time I was made aware of this Rick-Roll thing was on ST. I knew nothing about it before I saw it on ST and the ONLY place I have observed it since is also on ST.

Congrats, I guess that means you have found your WoW equivalent. You are wasting your time on the internet posting to gun forums. Does that silliness make you an....?

Welcome to the world of hobbies.
Well, the good news is, with hobbies, at least you're getting a couple of things going that are beneficial. You're expanding your brain, your knowledge, and if you act on it, then you have the product and the satisfaction of doing it yourself. I didn't see much of anything from WoW that helped my kids grow in much of any way. And they now know it, and are embarrassed by it.

To try and get my son off the PC, I asked him if he wanted to learn how to make display fireworks with his old man. Even that didn't work. If my dad suggested we make fireworks, I'd have thought an alien had possessed him.

The good news is, they all finally outgrew it, and all three of my kids are U.S. Army and doing well as young adults.