Dumped the DISH

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade

YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Re: Dumped the DISH

Post by YugoRPK »

I like watching A Jazeera. There is zero news coverage in this country from the middle east other than a brief overview on the news. The actual coverage and cameras on the ground part has been sanitized down to nothing in this country. Al-Jazeera is a lot like watching coverage of the Vietnam War was in this country before the US government and the military decided that people watching soldiers choke on their own blood at dinnertime on the CBS news was a bad idea for public relation. Its good to hear the perspective of the rest of the midde east other than the one side wev'e heard from Israel for all these years. In all I think the world news coverage from Al Jazeera is better than any major news media outlet in this country. I'd put them on par with the Economist and the Christian Science Monitor for the quality and depth of international news coverage.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

I actually have no TV now. Haven't had it for several months. Dropped cable and our OTA is spotty at best. Other than a few things here and there, we don't miss it at all.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
cdrissel
Silent Operator

Post by cdrissel »

We cut the cable almost 2 years ago.

HD antenna, Roku, Hulu, Netflix, HBO and Showtime (stand alone subscriptions)

Our "TV" bill is less under $40 per month - our internet is actually more.

F*ck the cable/satalite providers - streaming is the way to go. Watch what you want when you want and pay less.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

cdrissel wrote:We cut the cable almost 2 years ago.

HD antenna, Roku, Hulu, Netflix, HBO and Showtime (stand alone subscriptions)

Our "TV" bill is less under $40 per month - our internet is actually more.

F*ck the cable/satalite providers - streaming is the way to go. Watch what you want when you want and pay less.
I just did the same
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

We dropped cable a month ago and stream 100% now. Internet still $45ish, but saving about $100 a month from before.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Baffled wrote:We try to watch only "premium" stuff, and minimize it. Epic series like Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, etc. Sports too. And we do stream quite a bit... that is the future.

One big thing is that we cannot, will not, watch live TV any more. Everything goes to DVR. I just can't deal with commercials.

Even sports - if I have a football game at 12:00 noon, I'll record it, and start watching at 1300, zipping through commercials. By the time the game is nearly over, we are just about back to live viewing.
Me too!!

The TV programmers are shooting themselves in the foot with more commercials than the viewer can tolerate. I can remember when you had 5 commercial breaks per hour of about one minute each.

I suppose now they have to pay for duplicate news people. Did you see the mass of reporters waiting outside the White House after the Obama/Trump meeting?
Todd Is

Post by Todd Is »

Commercials do come in handy when enjoying a refreshing six pack with some nachos.

And by chance I do sit thru a commercial, a lot of times I find the commercials more entertaining than the actual show I was watching.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

I'm in the hate commercial group now. Way to many. Almost as much time spent as programming. They have obnoxious gimmicks like flashing, flickering light on a sixth grader level. I rarely watch live. Record and watch later using fast-forward.

News is best on the radio without the biased images. Fox News does have attractive eye candy though :D. Some of the other news channels are catching up with the hot babe angle to draw views.