Be wary of the carbon.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade

bakerjw
Elite Member

Be wary of the carbon.

Post by bakerjw »

Oh, beware the carbon frame. A well designed carbon frame can be a sweet ride. Feeling somewhere between the stiffness of aluminum and the weight of titanium, they can be quite nimble.
But...

Sunday a friend and I were riding up to the peak of Rich mountain on a Winter afternoon expedition. Northern slopes had a few inches to several inches of crunchy snow while sunlit stretches of forest service road were clear and spongy. We reached close to the top and opted to return the way that we had come rather than explore on into unfamiliar territory and risk getting home too late in the day.

About 1/8 of a mile from the top, on a very steep stretch, I some leaves and sticks tangled in my chain and rear derailleur. It is a not uncommon occurrence. Typically, the hanger gets bent and the worst is the derailleur breaks or the hanger snaps. Not so with the carbon frame that I've been riding.

The hanger was attached to the frame with a vertical screw. The carbon at the rear axle is slotted and the hanger screw also acts as a method of holding the 12mm through axle nut in place. There was perhaps 1/4" of material above the slot beneath the screw. Once the torque pulled the screw through this 1/4" of material, there was nothing built up below the axle nut to keep it from tearing off completely. Had the designers added perhaps 1/2 an ounce of material to beef up this location or designed the hanger to break away rather than destroy part of the frame, I would be inconvenienced rather than be looking at a $1,200 junk frame.

It can likely be repaired, but I would always be wary of how well it would hold up.

Bah, now I'm looking at frames again.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Re: Be wary of the carbon.

Post by Kramer »

That's why I would never buy a carbon frame. Have fun with that.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I know carbon is light but I'm a tank and have been pleased with my hydro formed aluminum frame.It was a step up from the chro-mo and far less expensive that titanium.I understand your loss.Its not just the money you feel cheated too.I would return it to the manufacturer you never know.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

My bike shop is working with the manufacturer on the warranty. The manufacturer own the brands Foundry, Salsa and Surley and as it happens, I already replaced the frame with a new Karate Monkey which is made by Surley. I've already got some carbon repair places checked out so I will get it on the road one way or the other.

In looking at a new frame to get on the road as fast as possible, I really looked hard at Titanium such as the ones made by Lynskey but the one that I wanted was $1750 list. The steel one that I went with came in at $425 and delivered in 2 days so it was up in the mountains today and as predicted, steel really does ride well.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

bakerjw wrote:My bike shop is working with the manufacturer on the warranty. The manufacturer own the brands Foundry, Salsa and Surley and as it happens, I already replaced the frame with a new Karate Monkey which is made by Surley. I've already got some carbon repair places checked out so I will get it on the road one way or the other.

In looking at a new frame to get on the road as fast as possible, I really looked hard at Titanium such as the ones made by Lynskey but the one that I wanted was $1750 list. The steel one that I went with came in at $425 and delivered in 2 days so it was up in the mountains today and as predicted, steel really does ride well.
Them working with you is great.I've heard the Karate Monkey is really good.I put my steel 1980's classic road bike in semi retirement and bought a fatty with some speedster tires.First disc brake bicycle I have ever owned.Yes they will toss you over the bars :lol: I broke both wrists finding out these have real brakes not the crap we grew up with. Its all good now and looking forward to a great year in the saddle.I grew up with steel and am still learning about aluminum.I've heard the titanium is the best of both with some give and stiffness.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895