For Sale Section

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade

continuity
Elite Member

Re: For Sale Section

Post by continuity »

Dissapointing. Well maybe there is some truth in what my nutcase neighbor was saying about the site being taken over by libtards...

Doesn't matter why, it is now.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
fstbk65
Silent But Deadly

Post by fstbk65 »

I am also dissapointed its gone. I checked the FS stuff very often and have bought some stuff and missed out on some good buys because I wasn't fast enough.

Get it back soon!
40G27
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 40G27 »

rsilvers wrote:...please donate...to [email protected]...
Why would you ever use paypal? They are 100% anti-2A. I will never give them one red cent.
DevilPig

Post by DevilPig »

I would be glad to pay an annual fee to keep this forum ad free. Dont want it to turn into ARFCOM :wink:
the1mavin
Silent But Deadly

Post by the1mavin »

Major fail! I hope you find a way to put them back. I've only been here a short time and used them a couple times.
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

DevilPig wrote:I would be glad to pay an annual fee to keep this forum ad free. Dont want it to turn into ARFCOM :wink:
Sigh...
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

40G27 wrote:
rsilvers wrote:...please donate...to [email protected]...
Why would you ever use paypal? They are 100% anti-2A. I will never give them one red cent.
Because they have 90% market share which means there are no reasonable alternatives. There are ways to optimize paypal use to reduce or eliminate fees they can get.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

The problem with AR15.com is not that they have ads. It is that they lock posts too often if you say something negative about an advertiser. Hmm. I guess that happens when an advertiser says they will stop paying if you don't delete a specific post.
Outsydlooknin75
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Outsydlooknin75 »

rsilvers wrote:The problem with AR15.com is not that they have ads. It is that they lock posts too often if you say something negative about an advertiser. Hmm. I guess that happens when an advertiser says they will stop paying if you don't delete a specific post.
Or they sell their forums to the individual Industry Partners. If they have an IP forum the IP owns that forum and can do whatever they wish to do in the forum, wether it is "sport delete" replies that ask various questions or if a posters says thier claims are bullshit and really simply meaningless other than for marketing hype. Advertisers are also allowed to tell posters to make sure that they bring identification with them and to come for a visit, but the reason to make sure to bring ID is so they know who is laying on the lawn after being shot with 00buck.

I personally have recieved two time outs from barfcom, one for posting an official video of an Industry Partner in a thread where someone was originally making fun of a female shooter shooting. I posted the OFFICIAL video of an IP saying that, that specific video made me laugh and I got a 3 day time out over it. Im currently in an indefinate time out due to posting in a thread about a guy having a problem with POA and POI being off on the first round chambered out of a magazine made by an Industry Partner. Some people were saying that is was due to a cold bore .... and that as long as the barrel is hot it wont happen .... the OP says, but it happens on the first round out of a mag no matter how hot my barrel is or isnt. I said that it is fairly normal for a hand chambered round to shoot to a different point of impact ..... I caught hell for calling it a hand chambered round .... and now I am on a indefinate time out.

If you dont get on your knees for certain advertisers then you are an idiot and you might as well just stay off arfcom.
If you can read this thank a teacher, if you can read this in English thank a soldier.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I would like the site have more traffic. How does one make that happen?

I unlocked the viewing of it by non-registered people.

I feel that since this site is called silencer-something, it is limiting growth. If it were called AR something it may have more people come. What makes people post their AR questions on an AR site rather than in the AR section of this site?
kalikraven
Elite Member

Post by kalikraven »

This is the site for Suppressors hands down. I think that the only thing that would increase traffic is advertising the site in magazines like you have and putting the word out that you can legally own suppressors. AAC has been doing a good job of that with the full page ads in magazines. I think that having the booth at the NRA convention probably helped out a bit too. The thing is that you have to advertise in regular magazines and not all the tactical ones. When people see a suppressor as a tool to make shooting more pleasant and not just a super tactical swat team accessory then we will their hearts and minds. Kinda like the original advertisements that Maxim did, and the type that Gem-Tech has showing a suppressor on a 22 with a little girl shooting it. Make it mainstream.
Going a little more discrete here due to some of my opinions...
arbullet
Senior Silent Operator

Post by arbullet »

I'd hate to tell everyone the amount of money I've spent in the FS forum. I miss it.

Did find my first machine gun there 6 months ago.
Johnthedford
Silent Operator

Post by Johnthedford »

I hate the ads. Too commercial. I came here for silencer info....not to see ford truck advertisements. I really don't understand what you are trying to accomplish having the ads up. You have a good thing going here...why change it?
John Thedford
NFA SALES
http://www.nfasales.com
Toll free 1-866-NFA-1934

also site owner and admin for
http://www.ClassIIIdealers.com
THE Class III Dealer Online Directory
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I am trying to raise money rather than have the site run at a loss as before.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

rsilvers wrote:I am trying to raise money rather than have the site run at a loss as before.
Are you trying to make money off it or just cover operating costs? How much does it cost to run the site? Counting or not counting your time?
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

No offense intended here as I support the software upgrade and your hard work, but it's starting to sound like there's not a solid plan or direction to these changes that are being rolled out without prior notice. Especially when it comes to changing the name, which should reflect the focus. I'm a do-it-yourself-er too, but it might be wise to consult a web dev. professional before throwing things into too much upheaval.

So far I see the following:

Pros:
1) phpbb software update to better protect against spammers
2) Added chat feature (I don't personally see this as useful but I'm open to being proven wrong)

Cons:
1) Removal of for-sale section (big issue for me, I've bought and sold here and trust this community)
2) Addition of ads (people can use ad-block, but then you don't get the money so it's pointless)
3) Changes rolled out without being announced or having styling/function issues tested on a development server

Overall we're mostly back on track, but I'll miss the for sale section. What direction are you thinking of taking this? ARFCOM like, but with less censorship?
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

WOW...............just WOW.

Sniper'shaide has the same type of ads you have but still sells guns, what's the diff?
NFAtalk.org
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I checked and they don't seem to have the same type of ads.
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

kalikraven wrote:This is the site for Suppressors hands down. I think that the only thing that would increase traffic is advertising the site in magazines like you have and putting the word out that you can legally own suppressors.
I've never bought anything in the "For Sale" section but I look at it frequently. I've got a few things posted in the WTB. I think they're nice features and hate to see it go because google ads are anti-gun. I do see the inclusion of advertising as an unfortunate but necessary evil. I have not financially supported the site. If required, I would pay for a 'membership' as the information flow that occurs here is of value to me. Yet, as long as the ads aren't too obnoxious, I can live with them. For his efforts, to expect Robert to run this site at a loss or break-even is silly. Not sure how much of a 'business' this site is for him (as compared to a 'hobby') but it appears that with some of the recent changes, it's becoming more business like.

I came to ST about a year ago to get general suppressor information because I wanted to own them, but wasn't sure how to go about it. I've gotten exactly what I wanted and plenty more about stuff I didn't even know existed. Who'd have thought it was legal to build your own? I never knew, and now I know. The "Form 1 Building" section is fantastic, the information it contains has been invaluable. There's really no other place like it, anywhere. ST has been a great place of silencer specific education.

First and foremost, I'd hate to see the site deviate from what I believe was the original intent - a place to discuss suppressors. I have also learned an extra large load of stuff about the whole NFA game. I see that as a super-important secondary function of this site. Anything else that gets discussed on this site is fine, but I probably could get that somewhere else. Suppressors and NFA; not so much. There are VERY few other places to go for this type of information.

ST has a wide range of knowledgable industry people, firearms dealers and experienced gun nuts that contribute good dope. Those passing mis-information are quickly but fairly called out and usually self-extinguish. You really need to work hard to get a post pulled and getting kicked out is almost impossible. There are very few other gun forums that will allow posters the freedom we have here. I like the ability to freely post my opinions and to respond to the opinions of others without fear of banishment. Paid advertising can and probably will limit some of the freedom we have to post negatively about a company that's forked over dollars. What LaRue gets, he pays for.

Silencertalk interests me specifically because of the suppressor, host firearms, sub-sonic ammo and NFA related discussions. Ultimately, I hope not to see ST compromise by adopting a 'general' gun atmosphere just to attract more business. I'm having nightmares about Rossi and Hi-Point in the Industry section. :cry:
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

Ok.........

Why are priavte gun ads gone, but the Dealers section continue with guns ads?

Not trying to piss off dealers.............just trying to understand how one is ok to "Google" and one is not?
NFAtalk.org
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

If making money is the goal, why not just sell out to Remington? The site is already perceived in the community as being part of AAC, why not take the negative and turn it into a positive (cash flow) and make it official?
BWPerdue
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWPerdue »

One other gun-ish site, huntingpa.com, uses Google ads, and they have many guns posted for sale in their classified section. Are they also a different ad type?
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

What if you did something a little more specific than "send me money from time to time". Something that allows you to drop the adds instead of re-designing the place.

Take something like the annual cost to host and divide it by, say 50... assuming you are willing to eat any other costs.

Post a thread and first fifty guys to paypal you that amount get to put some kind of "2010 sponsor" medal on their signature.

Actual tag for signature would be smaller.

This does two things... OK, more than two things....

1. It gets you a specific amount of cash you can count on. No overpay, no underpay. Rather understanding and agreement.
2. Some guys get some recognition
3. By having a small graphic award... guys KNOW when it is time to ante-up again. Ergo... it is 2011, time to give silvers my annual support.
4. It doesn't give any special privilege or special access to forums as that would be cheesy.
5. No selling. I suspect you can EASY get 50 or 100 guys to do this.

Make it 100 or 200 members getting the support honors, whatever works.

If guys don't ante-up in 2011 by March 1 you have an open opportunity to have someone take their place.

Just avoid this whole issue.
Last edited by ick on Mon May 24, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----
Ick
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I would like to keep the ads. The reason why is that the ads provide a steady baseline of income and donations spike a lot. Paper magazines of course have ads as well as they sell subscriptions.

I don't find these ads particularly objectionable. They are for Ford trucks, car mufflers, and gun products.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

I don't find them objectionable or inconvenient... but I would have to dismantle the FS section if it can be avoided.
-----
Ick