WHY, Ruger, why...

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade

PTK
Silent But Deadly

WHY, Ruger, why...

Post by PTK »

Why did Ruger start pressing in barrels on the Mark III? This seriously annoys me.

Just bitching that I need to go make MORE tools and jigs since I can't just toss it in a barrel vice and unscrew it like I did with MkII Rugers... :roll:
RIP Dave. You will be missed.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Re: WHY, Ruger, why...

Post by rogerme »

O christ plastic 10/22 now this!! The last mkii I bought about a year ago was a thread on barrel.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Plastic 10/22 really?
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

The trigger housing is.
Glock35
Silent But Deadly

Post by Glock35 »

not a fan of pressed barrels...ala HK...such a PIA to deal with presses ($ + effort)
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

F that Ruger stuff... i went Browning.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
finn
Silent But Deadly

Post by finn »

The first thing that crossed my mind when I heard about the sr22 was the future of the Mk series. A cheap to produce .22 autoloader entering the product line alongside a classic steel .22 auto is bad news for the classic. It was either a price raise on the MkIII or manufacturing shortcuts. Based on the history of the 10/22, the overly-pessimistic me thinks the MkIV will be made of cast aluminium and plastic.

Is HDD selling new style barrels?
DoctorSolo
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoctorSolo »

Are you sure? Is this just the new MIIIs or the 22/45s too? I ask simply because I notice that all of the new ones I've seen(including my own) have a visible degree of runout, ie the barrel is off center from the reciever(barrel points to the side to some degree, not completely parallel or concentric to the receiver center line). I would think it's less than precise receiver-to-barrel threading.

If it's pressed in, then WTF is that about?

FWIW yes, it bothers, me, and no, It doesn't seem to affect the function of the weapon. YMMV.
Sgt_R

Post by Sgt_R »

When I clicked on this thread, I was positive is was going to be about this.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

DoctorSolo wrote:Are you sure? Is this just the new MIIIs or the 22/45s too? I ask simply because I notice that all of the new ones I've seen(including my own) have a visible degree of runout, ie the barrel is off center from the reciever(barrel points to the side to some degree, not completely parallel or concentric to the receiver center line). I would think it's less than precise receiver-to-barrel threading.

If it's pressed in, then WTF is that about?

FWIW yes, it bothers, me, and no, It doesn't seem to affect the function of the weapon. YMMV.
There's a MkIII and 22/45 MkIII sitting in my garage. So far as I can tell, neither are threaded in. If they are threaded in, I'd love to know what they're doing differently than the Mk II that makes the barrel appear to be impossible to take out of the receiver.

And yes, both of these have issues regarding where the barrel's centerline is compared to the centerline of the receiver. I don't think that's a coincidence, either. I put one on my lathe to see how bad it is, and it's laughably bad. I don't know for sure if the barrels are pressed in, but that would help explain the rest, too...

I'm going to have to find out for absolutely certain about these. Anyone have a newer MkIII and access to an x-ray machine? :mrgreen:
PAIN
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAIN »

Sell that POS MKIII and find a used MKII.

I have a pet peeve with Ruger stuff, I hate the instruction manual engraved all over the pistol!
NRA Benefactor Member
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

If I buy another Ruger product, it will be a MKII. As it stands, I'm seriously considering not buying another Ruger product for a long time. :?
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

Sad but hopefully Clarks will still find a way to rebarrel these. Once again a great design thrown aside for a little cost savings.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

PAIN wrote: I hate the instruction manual engraved all over the pistol!
That was the result of a lawsuit that Ruger "settled". As part of the settlment Rugar must give away free owners manuals for the asking.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

L1A1Rocker wrote:
That was the result of a lawsuit that Ruger "settled". As part of the settlment Rugar must give away free owners manuals for the asking.
Bought a Mark3 a few weeks ago and its threaded into the receiver. No pressed barrels according to Ruger.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

All manufacturers give away manuals for free. And all firearms have some kind of warning on them. At least Ruger put the warnings on the bottom of the barrel now and they don't change the color of the text like S&W did.

I like the Loaded chamber indicator but not the mag safety. All my MKIIIs are converted with the MKII bushing.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

Bendersquint wrote:
L1A1Rocker wrote:
Bought a Mark3 a few weeks ago and its threaded into the receiver. No pressed barrels according to Ruger.
Hm. I'm using the exact same setup as for the MKII pistols, and they no longer unscrew. I must be doing something wrong. That is, once again, great news. :D
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

Friends don't let friends buy a MKIII!
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

If you get the barrel threaded just have it turned down a bit all gone...

Clint Smith