Daylight saving time: What if it's all a big fat waste of ti

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade

Hush
Silent But Deadly

Daylight saving time: What if it's all a big fat waste of ti

Post by Hush »

Daylight saving time: What if it's all a big fat waste of time?
It is as far as I'm concerned, pick one and keep it all year round and end this stupidity.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nati ... ?track=rss
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
Maser
Silent But Deadly

Re: Daylight saving time: What if it's all a big fat waste o

Post by Maser »

What time are we saving exactly? We gain an hour and then lose it again 6 months later. Forget which state ditched that idea. Think it was AZ. Wish the rest of the 49 would get wise. My main beef with DST is that I never know about it until after it has happened already and then I look like a fool with the times that are an hour off. Some of the clocks in our house are just a PITA to take down and adjust the time. :x
My intelligence is like a suppressed rimfire pistol. You may not be able to hear it, but it certainly always hits its mark.
WasDustyJacket
Silent But Deadly

Post by WasDustyJacket »

It gets worse.
There is a tiny spot in Indiana that doesn't do DST.

I can't remember if it happened or was just talked about, but at one time half of TN was not going to play.

It is a dumb-ass idea.
Shoot softly, and carry a big clip.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

Here is the best idea...split the difference, go ahead one half hour, leave it like that all year round and call it a day.
ROFuher
Silent But Deadly

Post by ROFuher »

The toilet paper hanging in rather than out is much more distressing to me.
continuity-TROOPER, 2016
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

I say use universal coordinated time and everyone adjust their mindset accordingly.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
kalikraven
Elite Member

Post by kalikraven »

Here is the best idea...split the difference, go ahead one half hour, leave it like that all year round and call it a day.
Thats what they do here in Afghanistan... It's about the only damn thing that makes sense in this country.
Going a little more discrete here due to some of my opinions...
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

It doesn't affect people in the lower latitudes as much as it does here, we have such a wide swing in the amount of daylight and it makes a big difference.

BTW, we are only on standard time for about 4 months a year, not 6.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Hush wrote:...pick one and keep it all year round and end this stupidity.
THIS.
Glock35
Silent But Deadly

Post by Glock35 »

bakerjw wrote:I say use universal coordinated time and everyone adjust their mindset accordingly.
Definitely; seems so hard for the layman to grasp...
blade1668

Re: Daylight saving time: What if it's all a big fat waste of ti

Post by blade1668 »

I'd prefer just staying on DLST year round. No need changing every 4-6 months, and screwing with sleep cycles. Some of the country's I've spent a lot of time in don't change their time.

Dang I just seen original post date. But still a wast of time.
ThaDoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThaDoubleJ »

Yup, old post, but still relevant. DST is stupid, summer vacation is stupid, and as posted above, toilet paper coming off the bottom of the roll should be a misdemeanor at minimum.
Proper grammar is awesome.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

ROFuher wrote:The toilet paper hanging in rather than out is much more distressing to me.
Toilet paper hanging in is for cat people. Or a sign of a personality disorder. Or both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Syntax360
Silent But Deadly

Post by Syntax360 »

I think we all have a duty as able-bodied, red-blooded Americans to abolish this absurd Daylight Savings Time thing. We must exhaust all options - up to and including another civil war - to end the madness.
hunter2
Silent But Deadly

Post by hunter2 »

Have read that it saves money - but the question is, for who? This was even done during the war, sounds like a big communist plot to me. If I did not know better I would say Obama is behind it...... But I do like the suggestions!!!!
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

doubloon wrote:
ROFuher wrote:The toilet paper hanging in rather than out is much more distressing to me.
Toilet paper hanging in is for cat people. Or a sign of a personality disorder. Or both.
Isn't being a Cat-person listed in the DSM-V? Certainly seems like a personality disorder.

Why aren't we on DST all the time? Do we want to waste daylight or time? Or maybe Noon should simply be the apex of the sun's arc. In Ancient Egypt there were always 12hrs of daylight and 12 of darkness. The length of the hr was constantly changing throughout the year based upon the ammount of relative daylight during that time of yr.

Ben Franklin pushed DST to maximize the working hrs for farmers and save on lamp oil usage.
Do we have an enormous whale oil demand these days? Seems like coal burns the same throughout the day.

Personally, I'd like for everything to be based upon GMT. That way, there wouldn't be any Time Zone changes. Just differing hrs of operation for different regions. EX: Store open 1200-2400hr.(6am-6pm Central.) This is how they have Planetary Standard Time on Star Trek and other Interstellar TV Shows. We might as well get ready now. We may be living on either Orbital Space Stations or Underground Silos if we keep going like we are. :roll:
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

hunter2 wrote:Have read that it saves money - but the question is, for who? This was even done during the war, sounds like a big communist plot to me. If I did not know better I would say Obama is behind it...... But I do like the suggestions!!!!
I've read Ben Franklin proposed it to save candles, one form of money savings. But there is evidence to suggest this was just an exercise of Franklin's twisted sense of humor when tweaking the French.
http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsavi ... klin3.html

I've also heard he proposed it to somehow help farmers but I'm pretty sure most of today's farmers hate it. Maybe farmers before electricity and mechanical harvesters liked it for some reason, I don't know.

But it was never instituted in Franklin's time so whatever reasons he had for proposing it are moot. Supposedly it was done to preserve resources during WWI but I don't know what resources it preserved. Electricity maybe because people supposedly turned lights on an hour later but I think this algorithm neglects to take into account extra time lights are on in the morning and curtains.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Doubloon: After reading that letter I wonder if his Phillip K Dick dystopian vision of candle rationing and cannonfire to wake sluggards at sunrise wasn't a Progressive Agenda ahead of its time that he wrote only mockingly.

I'm unclear how banning coach travel by non medical personnel would save resources. (His Third Suggestion.) But his rationing System was certainly useful and forms the basis of our current tax system. Though instead of posting Guards in shops, we instead are required to maintain copious records of financial transactions. Thus providing evidence to use against us whenever the current Regime decides to enact and enforce retroactive "Administrative Rules and Codes." Or even changing their own interpretations of their own rules. (Ie: Now only allowing 1 tax exept IRA rollover per yr. Thus taxing Tax-Exept accts.)

Also, I violated my own Rule of saying Progressive instead of Erosionist. I feel the latter is more desciptive of their Manner and Methods.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

DST... How is this still a thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br0NW9ufUUw
silencertalk
Site Admin