AAC 51T mount question...

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

crimsoncomet

AAC 51T mount question...

Post by crimsoncomet »

I am somewhat new to the forums. I had a quick question about the 556 51t ratchet mount. I managed to get my hands on two of them. One I bought from silencer brand new. The other one I found on armslist new in the package. The one I bought on armslist came in an older plastic bag and looks somewhat different than the new one. I'm jut wondering if I got ripped off with a fake mount since it looks different. The flutes on the prongs of the older mount are straight and evenly sized. The flutes on the prongs of the new one are tapered/triangle shaped. Anyone have a early made one to compare to the new ones? Thanks for the help guys. Also the new one says AAC on it.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Re: AAC 51T mount question...

Post by JasonM »

crimsoncomet wrote:I am somewhat new to the forums. I had a quick question about the 556 51t ratchet mount. I managed to get my hands on two of them. One I bought from silencer brand new. The other one I found on armslist new in the package. The one I bought on armslist came in an older plastic bag and looks somewhat different than the new one. I'm jut wondering if I got ripped off with a fake mount since it looks different. The flutes on the prongs of the older mount are straight and evenly sized. The flutes on the prongs of the new one are tapered/triangle shaped. Anyone have a early made one to compare to the new ones? Thanks for the help guys. Also the new one says AAC on it.
We'll be able to tell you instantly with a photo.

I don't recall them being shipped in plastic bags, but the very early ones did have straight flutes on the prongs.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
crimsoncomet

Post by crimsoncomet »

Awesome! Ill snap pics of both tomorrow. Thanks!
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

crimsoncomet wrote:The flutes on the prongs of the older mount are straight and evenly sized. The flutes on the prongs of the new one are tapered/triangle shaped. Anyone have a early made one to compare to the new ones? Thanks for the help guys. Also the new one says AAC on it.
Probably an old one . . . right after AAC started making their own mounts post YHM breakup the lightening cuts on the tines were a straight cut done with a ball end mill at a given depth.

Now the whole thing is tapered to be smaller at the end . . . the tines themselves are smaller up front and the ball end cuts deeper out on the end.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

57fairlane wrote:
crimsoncomet wrote:The flutes on the prongs of the older mount are straight and evenly sized. The flutes on the prongs of the new one are tapered/triangle shaped. Anyone have a early made one to compare to the new ones? Thanks for the help guys. Also the new one says AAC on it.
Probably an old one . . . right after AAC started making their own mounts post YHM breakup the lightening cuts on the tines were a straight cut done with a ball end mill at a given depth.

Now the whole thing is tapered to be smaller at the end . . . the tines themselves are smaller up front and the ball end cuts deeper out on the end.
Old ones looked better
Kick Ass Design
crimsoncomet

Post by crimsoncomet »

Here are some pics guys. Thanks again!

I bought this off armslist. Came in a plastic bag that said AAC on it.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

COULD be a very old 51T... most of them (even the "straight groove" ones will say AAC and probably Pat. Pend. on the base)... But some of the VERY early ones looked like that.

AAC will have to verify it for you. Again, could be very early one, light photo Midway has of it-
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/284904 ... ubv1418036
Kick Ass Design
crimsoncomet

Post by crimsoncomet »

Thanks. Ill shoot the pics off to aac tomorrow and see what they say.
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

Don't know of anyone going through the trouble of faking an AAC mount . . . the looks are entirely inline with the old mounts though.
Ryo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ryo »

Both mounts you show are exactly like my mounts. One the old style the other new style. The older one on the bottom of the photos you posted. where it's not tapered.

I doubt it's fake.. takes a lot of work to make one, which companies that make fake ones probably wouldn't do due to cost of making the fake. I like the look of the older one personally.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Ryo wrote:Both mounts you show are exactly like my mounts. One the old style the other new style. The older one on the bottom of the photos you posted. where it's not tapered.

I doubt it's fake.. takes a lot of work to make one, which companies that make fake ones probably wouldn't do due to cost of making the fake. I like the look of the older one personally.
I take my assessment back... I just found a known legit one in my box that has no markings at all either.
Kick Ass Design
Tater_ga
Silent Operator

Post by Tater_ga »

What did the bag look like? Do you have a picture?
Brent

Certified Silencer Nerd

Semper Fidelis (2005-2010)
crimsoncomet

Post by crimsoncomet »

Thanks for the info guys. The one with straight flutes came in an AAC marked plastic bag. I contacted AAC with these same photos and they said I was good to go! They said that the old ones may not be marked and sent me an example of the old logo that was on the plastic bag. They replied the same day. Great communication!
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

crimsoncomet wrote:Thanks for the info guys. The one with straight flutes came in an AAC marked plastic bag. I contacted AAC with these same photos and they said I was good to go! They said that the old ones may not be marked and sent me an example of the old logo that was on the plastic bag. They replied the same day. Great communication!
That can't be right, AAC has crappy service. ;)
Kick Ass Design
Tater_ga
Silent Operator

Post by Tater_ga »

JasonM wrote:
crimsoncomet wrote:Thanks for the info guys. The one with straight flutes came in an AAC marked plastic bag. I contacted AAC with these same photos and they said I was good to go! They said that the old ones may not be marked and sent me an example of the old logo that was on the plastic bag. They replied the same day. Great communication!
That can't be right, AAC has crappy service. ;)
:(..... :lol:
Brent

Certified Silencer Nerd

Semper Fidelis (2005-2010)