Mounting a 51t flash hider, where should it shoulder?

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

wolffie
Silent But Deadly

Mounting a 51t flash hider, where should it shoulder?

Post by wolffie »

I bought a 9/16x24 lh mount for my Fal. I need to send the barrel off to have the threads and shoulder confirmed or trued. But I noticed that the mount shoulders on the muzzle? Is that correct? My old Bilock mounts for ar barrels shouldered on the base of the mount with the the shoulder of the threads. Is this unique to FAL barrels? Or will I need some machining done? Thanks!
Omega 30
SpecWar2
HemsII
Trident9
Warlock
Evolution9
Pilot
kaotic504
Silent But Deadly

Re: Mounting a 51t flash hider, where should it shoulder?

Post by kaotic504 »

I'm pretty sure on my AR's it shouldered on the barrel. Because I know for one of my 51t mounts, my threaded portion of the barrel was shorter than the threaded interior of the mount and it bottomed out on the shoulder of the barrel.
kaotic504
Silent But Deadly

Post by kaotic504 »

wolffie
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolffie »

I saw a lot on there a out the 5/8x24... And a deeper thread socket to reach the barrel shoulder. That said, I'm not sure that's going to make a difference? I'll look again when I get home but I'm pretty sure the diameter of the flash hider/mount is greater than the diameter of the barrel... I may clean up the muzzle and put a little blue sharpie on the shoulder of the threads to see... I can get out be calipers too.
Omega 30
SpecWar2
HemsII
Trident9
Warlock
Evolution9
Pilot
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

the new socket depth is only .550" deep unless you shoulder on that skinny ass rim.
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

wolffie wrote:I bought a 9/16x24 lh mount for my Fal. I need to send the barrel off to have the threads and shoulder confirmed or trued. But I noticed that the mount shoulders on the muzzle? Is that correct? My old Bilock mounts for ar barrels shouldered on the base of the mount with the the shoulder of the threads. Is this unique to FAL barrels? Or will I need some machining done? Thanks!

yes, this should shoulder on the muzzle. Assuming, your barrel is to our spec
Mike Mers
L.E. and Commercial Sales
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988 x 101 (phone)
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!
wolffie
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolffie »

Thanks! That's good to know.

I finally picked up my new SDN-6 Friday. Are new manufacture DSA barrels generally good?

Now I'm playing around with the mounted suppressor and a cleaning rod trying to make sure they are straight. The mount on my MWS appears to be perfect. The DSA Para Fal appears canted slightly to the left. Not enough that the cleaning rod touches the end cap, but it's visibly closer to the right than the left.

I used a solid cleaning rod, inserted it to the bolt face, held the barrel suppressor on its side and looked to see how close the rod came to the end cap. The MWS was uniform at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 O'Clock positions. The Fal is closer to 9 than 3.

I'm debating ordering the Geiselle alignment rod to double check or just sending the barrel off...
Omega 30
SpecWar2
HemsII
Trident9
Warlock
Evolution9
Pilot
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

wolffie wrote:Thanks! That's good to know.

I finally picked up my new SDN-6 Friday. Are new manufacture DSA barrels generally good?

Now I'm playing around with the mounted suppressor and a cleaning rod trying to make sure they are straight. The mount on my MWS appears to be perfect. The DSA Para Fal appears canted slightly to the left. Not enough that the cleaning rod touches the end cap, but it's visibly closer to the right than the left.

I used a solid cleaning rod, inserted it to the bolt face, held the barrel suppressor on its side and looked to see how close the rod came to the end cap. The MWS was uniform at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 O'Clock positions. The Fal is closer to 9 than 3.

I'm debating ordering the Geiselle alignment rod to double check or just sending the barrel off...
If your barrel is threaded all you need to do is install the mount and use the silencer.

if not you will need to send the mount to a machine shop that can thread your barrel
Mike Mers
L.E. and Commercial Sales
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988 x 101 (phone)
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!
wolffie
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolffie »

Understood. With the caveat that the threads must be concentric to the bore. I ran an alignment rod through the bore and the suppressor and unfortunately. It's canted. So now I'm trying to find someone to fix the threads who also knows FALs....
Omega 30
SpecWar2
HemsII
Trident9
Warlock
Evolution9
Pilot