ultrasonic cleaning ok for current (2013) tirant 9 and 45?

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

jaredr
Silent But Deadly

ultrasonic cleaning ok for current (2013) tirant 9 and 45?

Post by jaredr »

probably covered in other threads but could not find the answer by searching the board. Can AAC advise whether they support using an ultrasonic cleaner for the current (2013 manufactured) tirant 9 and 45 suppressors? thanks!
jaredr
Silent But Deadly

Re: ultrasonic cleaning ok for current (2013) tirant 9 and 4

Post by jaredr »

paging anyone from AAC?
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

everything except the blast baffle is aluminum isn't it? that right there makes it a no go
jaredr
Silent But Deadly

Post by jaredr »

al is a no-go for ultrasonic? i understand it would be corroded by using the dip, but was unaware that aluminum would react in some way to ultrasonic cleaning.

fwiw, i believe the tube is ti while the blast baffle is steel and the rest of the baffles are 7075 but i'm really mostly concerned with cleaning the baffles. yes, an omega would be easier but i don't have one yet...
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

The blast baffle can be ultrasonic'd. The remaining baffles are aluminum(and endcap) and will be damaged.

We actually discussed this very topic on that other site. :wink:
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

jaredr wrote:al is a no-go for ultrasonic? i understand it would be corroded by using the dip, but was unaware that aluminum would react in some way to ultrasonic cleaning.

fwiw, i believe the tube is ti while the blast baffle is steel and the rest of the baffles are 7075 but i'm really mostly concerned with cleaning the baffles. yes, an omega would be easier but i don't have one yet...
The cavitation of the ultrasonic damages the anodizing and raw aluminum.

Yes, the Tube is Ti(can't be ultrasonic'd due to its aluminum content), the blast baffle is SS and the rest are 7075 and so is the endcap.
jaredr
Silent But Deadly

Post by jaredr »

Bendersquint wrote:The cavitation of the ultrasonic damages the anodizing and raw aluminum.

Yes, the Tube is Ti(can't be ultrasonic'd due to its aluminum content), the blast baffle is SS and the rest are 7075 and so is the endcap.
ahh bummer. i'll fall back to my sop of being lazy and simply avoiding cleaning centerfire pistol cans (still disassemble after use and apply anti-seize to threads). eventually, when i can't overlook the huge chunks of carbon build up and atomized lead i'll break out the soda blaster.

thanks for the info.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

jaredr wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:The cavitation of the ultrasonic damages the anodizing and raw aluminum.

ahh bummer. i'll fall back to my sop of being lazy and simply avoiding cleaning centerfire pistol cans (still disassemble after use and apply anti-seize to threads). eventually, when i can't overlook the huge chunks of carbon build up and atomized lead i'll break out the soda blaster.

thanks for the info.
Nylon brush and some cleaning solution wouldn't hurt it as long as its safe for aluminum.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

I asked the same thing some months ago. Was so ready to get a sonic cleaner after cleaning my Tirant 45. Manually scrubbing 9 baffles with a nylon brush gets tiresome real quick.

Too bad sonic cleaners are a no-no, except for 1 baffle :roll: So now i just soak the 8 Al baffles in a jar of MPro7 overnight and start scrubbing away the next day with a phosphor bronze brush. Nylon just won't cut it. The bronze brush works just fine with 7075 Al.

As for the stainless baffle, I just throw it in the "dip" along with my Sparrow.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rimshaker wrote:I asked the same thing some months ago. Was so ready to get a sonic cleaner after cleaning my Tirant 45. Manually scrubbing 9 baffles with a nylon brush gets tiresome real quick.

Too bad sonic cleaners are a no-no, except for 1 baffle :roll: So now i just soak the 8 Al baffles in a jar of MPro7 overnight and start scrubbing away the next day with a phosphor bronze brush. Nylon just won't cut it. The bronze brush works just fine with 7075 Al.

As for the stainless baffle, I just throw it in the "dip" along with my Sparrow.
That works!

I have used a stainless brush in the past and it doesn't damage the aluminum if you are gentle with it. Bronze brushes just tend to make the baffles gold tinted in my experience.
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

The solution is key in ultrasonically cleaning aluminum parts.

The people I've seen have failures were using caustic solutions and/or leaving parts in for hours at a time.

If you have any questions, crest has some solutions to use for aluminum

http://www.crest-ultrasonics.com/ultras ... solutions/
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

Comments regarding aluminum at the bottom of the page: https://www.silencershop.com/sonic-cleaners-suppressors
Lateck
Silent Operator

Post by Lateck »

seattlite wrote:Comments regarding aluminum at the bottom of the page: https://www.silencershop.com/sonic-cleaners-suppressors
Interesting........ So now we are going around and around. :shock:

I have been looking into and asking the same old question about cleaning aluminum baffles. Everyone says: No. But this says ok with a lot of care taken to not leave the baffles in the machine to long. Did I read that right?

Lateck,

PS: I want to know as I have a Tirant 45 in the process.
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

AAC does not cover damage to AL baffles that were cleaned in an ultra sonic cleaner
Mike Mers
L.E. and Commercial Sales
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988 x 101 (phone)
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!
Lateck
Silent Operator

Post by Lateck »

1_ar_newbie wrote:AAC does not cover damage to AL baffles that were cleaned in an ultra sonic cleaner
So, you do NOT recommend ultrasonic cleaners...... :mrgreen:

Thank you, I have read more AGAINST them, but the article sited did say different.

Lateck,